Unlimited access >

Low NSC Ration Balancer_Buckeye Feed?

I’m looking for a really low NSC ration balancer. I’m fairly certain someone posted about Buckeye coming out w one, but I cannot find the post. Does anyone (perhaps @JB) know of something new on the horizon? Thank you!

This one has 10% . Don’t have any experience feeding Tribute myself.

https://tributeequinenutrition.com/products/seniority-low-nsc#:~:text=Seniority™%20Low%20NSC%20is,1%20and%20other%20metabolic%20disorders.

I do feed Purina Enrich Senior RB which is 13%. My horses do well.

1 Like

I feed Buckeye Grow ‘N Win ration balancer. It is 13 percent NSC.

2 Likes

I’m familiar w those…and we currently feed Gro N Win. I swear I saw something about a new feed coming out from Buckeye that was 8.5 NSC. I tried calling Buckeye but could only leave a message. I’ll report back if someone calls me.
Oh…thank you for the ideas!

1 Like

Actually, I wasn’t familiar with the Seniority feed. Thank you!

1 Like

Buckeye has a new ration balancer called Low N Steady with an NSC of 8.5% but all I’ve seen so far are “coming soon” ads. It’s on their Facebook page on March 15 and that’s the most recent post I can find.

3 Likes

What’s your definition of low?

1 Like

That’s it! Low N Steady…thank you @Alibhai_s_Alibar! @JB, as low as possible. I have one that will eat Unbeetable w Vermont Blend, and one that won’t. I’m trying to find something he will eat reliably that would be easy for someone filling in for me,

2 Likes

Just be careful that your horse doesn’t choke on it. I’ve had a couple chokes (none that didn’t resolve without vet treatment) but enough that I make sure to add water to their feed before feeding.

1 Like

Tribute Seniority Low NSC is not a ration balancer

2 Likes

Blue Bonnet Limited is very low nsc and is also soy free

https://bluebonnetfeeds.com/limited/

2 Likes

Why? You only feed a small quntity of ration balancer, so even with a higher percentage, the actual amount of starches and sugars is very small.

I know and understand that. I’m being as careful as I can w this particular horse who has genetics stacked against him.

1 Like

Oops. Well I just googled low NSC feed and I guess I thought it was a RB. It is low NSC though if someone else wants to feed several pounds of feed at a time.

1 Like

I appreciated the effort.

Triple Crown 30% Ration Balancer is 11.10% NSC. Not sure if that meets the definition of really low, but it’s under 12%, which is the vet prescribed threshold for my PSSM horse.

2 Likes

I just learned through Buckeye Nutrition their new Low N Steady is available on Chewy. The NSC is 8.5%. I searched using Buckeye Nutrition to find it.

1 Like

I’ve had three chokes on buckeye gro n win! All foals. I never feed it dry anymore.

1 Like

Are you going to give it a try? Protein is quite a bit lower than the RB’s I have used.

1 Like

I haven’t decided. I just bought Standlee’s Gastro (I forget the second word) Care (?) and my horses LOVE it. It has an odd smell, which I thought would put them off but instead, it covers up the scent of vit/mineral/InsulinWise and they eat it. So I may stick w that.