Unlimited access >

Luhmuhlen 2022

4 Likes

I despise those leads as a runner (they become trip wires). Now I hate them even more!

Can you imagine being that person using one on such an influential cross-country course with your dog? Ugh!

4 Likes

Dumb question: what on earth happened to the Germans that there is not a single one riding in the 5*?

Ugh. With the dog/leash blocking his line, in hindsight, did he have any options like pulling up or circling and re-presenting, and then filing a challenge/appeal to get the time and penalties removed?

2 Likes

I hope that something good will come of this. Perhaps banning extendable leashes on the cross country course

8 Likes

His horse jumped. I don’t get the impression that he had time to do much of anything.

2 Likes

He fell off, though.

Aside from entitled people that own small, poorly trained dogs, does anyone not hate retractable leashes?

That really sucks for Tom and his horse. Can you yellow card a spectator?

10 Likes

It would be difficult to card to spectator because you’re not required to be an FEI competitor to spectate. However they could ask a spectator to leave etc.

1 Like

Honestly, I think dogs need to be banned unless their owners are willing to watch, from, say the trade fair - far, far away from any horses.

It’s sad that the actions of a few selfish people manage to ruin it for everyone else. I hope they fine that woman. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

Watching online, I do notice the “yappers”. If you must bring your dog to an event why wouldn’t you make sure it doesn’t bark, or yap, at every horses that passes?

When people bring their noisy dog to an event, they seem to me to be making a statement that their need to have their dog with them is more important than are the horses and riders in the competition.

12 Likes

The 4* was the German National Championship.
Luhmuhlen 5* has been virtually devalued, as the German’s aren’t really interested and everybody else brings their 5* neophytes.

I think they would be happy if the 5* did not exist.

1 Like

Wow, luckily no one was seriously hurt by this errant dog, including the damn dog. Like most things, a few selfish, ignorant people will spoil it for the majority. There’s just too much at stake, not the least of which is the danger to horse and rider. Huge congrats to Lauren and Bug, well done!

4 Likes

Ah that makes sense. Thank you. I knew German entries were always light but never knew why. You can tell I only follow this event casually.

To be fair, there is a guy in my neighborhood who walks his large dog on a retractable leash. Sometimes literally standing in the middle of the road, letting the dog sniff the grass on the other side. Once or twice, I’ve seen people walking their dog across the entire street on a retractable. Yes, early in the morning, so not many cars out. But why, why?

I miss the days when retractable nylon string, was just for, like, clothesline.

3 Likes

Can’t issue an FEI card to a spectator. However, event organizer can and should remove her from the venue immediately. If you disrupt a theatre performance, you are removed. If you disrupt a sporting event or most public gatherings, you’re removed. Same should apply here. And she should be permanently banned. They should publish a list of banned spectators. Shame her. What if he or horse was seriously injured or killed? Does she merely say, oh so sorry about that; carry on everyone.

Reminds me of when the German woman ran on to the course with a sign at the Tour d’France last year and caused the huge crash. She ended up in legal trouble.

5 Likes

4th for Lauren and Bug! 5th for Liz and Cooley Quicksilver! Karl and Matt were 14th and 17th.

4 Likes

Great finish by the Americans!! And of course MJ!

1 Like

I was being a bit facetious about the yellow card, since I figured the FEI doesn’t really have any jurisdiction over spectators
 but there really should be more of a consequence than just having to take herself and her ill-behaved dog home for the day then go on as if it was no big deal.

1 Like

Don’t forget that Karl Slezak and Matthew Flynn both completed! Flynn has been very busy in Britain this season.

3 Likes