Unlimited access >

Maiden mare at 346 days.

Don’t leave her unattended, but also make sure she has privacy.

I had my maiden mare boarded out at the exact same place she was born, with a vet on site. I went to visit her and she was snuggly and sweet. Went home and the web cam (on which we’d all been watching her for weeks) was offline. Texted the vet and BM, who were in the barn fixing it.

Got it back online, I linked up and started my foal watch shift (while also watching baseball on the tv). She was eating her hay and quite content. Then a thunderstorm rolled in. She instantly turned her back to the camera, broke her waters (I thought), then lay down with her back end 100% off screen. But her breathing made me sure.

I called the on-site vet, and she said she’d be right out to help her. Said vet stopped to pee on her way out the door and across the 100 yards between her house and my mare’s stall. She was worried if she had to pull, she might wet her pants.

My little guy was born in that precise moment. No assistance required. Momma just wanted her privacy.

The thunderstorm masked the sound of her heavy breathing. She hid from the cameras. Just pure prey animal instinct.

Horses have no concept of cameras, that is silly to think they would hide from them.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;8583428]
Horses have no concept of cameras, that is silly to think they would hide from them.[/QUOTE]

Really? Mine know exactly what a camera is.

[QUOTE=DarkBayUnicorn;8584863]
Really? Mine know exactly what a camera is.[/QUOTE]
They know that a camera that is mounted on the wall create an image of them that someone can see even if that someone is nowhere in the vicinity? Call Ripley’s.

Mares can be all over the place. I have students foaling out five mares this spring. One went at 371 days (probable fescue toxicosis - also had a red bag and FPT), one went at 335 days, one is currently at 357 (another possible fescue mare), and two more are “due” (no such thing as due dates in mares, really!) in mid-April. The only thing predictable about foaling is its unpredictability. Milk testing is very reliable, but mares - especially maidens - can make rapid changes, so it’s important to monitor them as closely as possible. The two mares we have foaled out this semester have been very kind and foaled at 1:30 pm and 8:00 pm. I have informed the students that this kind of luck is not common, but I’m not sure they believe me! :lol:

I hope that everything goes well for you and your mare. Odds are, she’ll foal when you least expect it. Mares are tricky like that.

Just wanted to wish you good luck :slight_smile:

my last mare to foal i ended up foaling at my vets as i had to go away. Said mare ended up going 4 or so weeks late and foaling in the middle of the day surrounded by construction workers building a stable next to her paddock as she seemed to refuse to have it in the stable she was kept in over night. Vet gave up keeping her in at about 10.30 am (knew she was close but mare was getting very stressed). Put her out and foal born 30mins later. The workers all had an early lunch break to watch lol.

I was hoping we’d have a happy update by now.
Of course, that was the point of the thread, right? Nothing to update!

Good luck OP.

IMO and experience the one thing that horse do with easy and little to no complications 90+% of the time is foal. They don’t drag it out like humans.But I have only worked with TBs.

There are rules of thumb to follow but most mares don’t follow them. Some mares wax up some don’t. Some get huge bags early some don’t bag up until a few days before they foal. Some will roll a lot a few days before as the the foal moves into position. Maiden mares tend to be drama queens, up and down, walking their stall, etc. Keeps one on their toes when watching the foaling channel. If the mare develops “icicles” you’re pretty much guaranteed she will foal that night or the next IME.

Most foal at night but I have a number of them foal after being turned out in the morning. While my back was turned and closing the gate.

I don’t know anyone at TB breeding farms that use the milk testing method. I know ones that tried and said it wan’t worth the effort. No reliable. To each their own on this.

The best “tell tail” in my experience is knowing the look of your mare. They get bigger and wider/rounder. But when the foal moves into foaling position they tend to lose the “round” and their belly will drop a bit and develop more of an pointy or egg shape. The sides of their butt will lose its roundness and the sides will tend to be a bit concave. An old school test is to check the feel of their tail buy pulling it up. When close to foaling it will “soften” be loose instead of the mare being resistant. IME this is a pretty good “tell tail” about 60-80% of the time. (wonder if that is where the expression comes from).

Being a maiden breeder is pretty stressful.Much more than for the mare. Especially if they read a lot on the subject. Especially if they read the section in Blessed are the Broodmares that goes into all the things that can go wrong. IME 95% of the time everything goes perfect with little to no intervention. 4% may require a bit of intervention, mainly correcting leg position. 1% may require major intervention and or tragedy.

After the mare breaks water all I do is check for position. The 2 legs “palms” down, one leg a few inches “longer” then the other and the foals nose between. If one leg is sticking out much more then the other and or can barely be seen it maybe best to gently pull the “short” one out to straighten. If all is good I leave the mare alone and watch the rest on the stall cam. Once the foal is out it is normal for a bit of its hind legs to still be “in” the mare. This is the mare’s post foaling resting period. I do not go into the stall until she gets up. I generally wait until I can see that the umbilical cord has broken also.

IMO a stall foaling cam is god sent. A good wireless IR Cam with sender/receiver can be had for around $200. Our foaling stall are 14X14 when the cam is positioned correctly it covers the whole stall. The IR cam works great in a pitch dark stall, though it is in black and white. But because anything that is “hot” will “glow” on the stall floor like the “puddle” after water has broken and I missed seeing it. I have run down to the stall to check things only to find out it was a fresh warm turd.

I rarely worry about a mare that is going “long”. It only sucks if I miss judge the timing and spend countless nights watching the foaling channel in vain. Mares that bag up and or act the part several weeks early is stressful. We have foaled a lot of mares and though our vet is kept on call. We have only needed a vet on the rare occasion. Ours are pretty close by.

The book I recommend on the subject is The Complete Book of Foaling.

IMO and experience the one thing that horse do with easy and little to no complications 90+% of the time is foal. They don’t drag it out like humans.But I have only worked with TBs.

There are rules of thumb to follow but most mares don’t follow them. Some mares wax up some don’t. Some get huge bags early some don’t bag up until a few days before they foal. Some will get roll a lot a few days before as the the foal moves into position. Maiden mares tend to be drama queens, up and down, walking their stall, etc. Keeps one on their toes when watching the foaling channel. Mares that have ic

Most foal at night but I have a number of them foal after being turned out in the morning. While my back was turned and closing the gate.

I don’t know anyone at TB breeding farms that use the milk testing method. I know ones that tried and said it wan’t worth the effort. No reliable. To each their own on this.

The best “tell tail” in my experience is knowing the look of your mare. They get bigger and wider/rounder. But when the foal moves into foaling position they tend to lose the “round” and their belly will drop a bit and develop more of an pointy or egg shape. The sides of their butt will lose its roundness and the sides will tend to be a bit concave. An old school test is to check the feel of their tail buy pulling it up. When close to foaling it will “soften” be loose instead of the mare being resistant. IME this is a pretty good “tell tail” about 60-80% of the time. (wonder if that is where the expression comes from).

Being a maiden breeder is pretty stressful.Much more than for the mare. Especially if they read a lot on the subject. Especially if they read the section in Blessed are the Broodmares that goes into all the things that can go wrong. IME 95% of the time everything goes perfect with little to no intervention. 4% may require a bit of intervention, mainly correcting leg position. 1% may require major intervention and or tragedy.

After the mare breaks water all I do is check for position. The 2 legs “palms” down, one leg a few inches “longer” then the other and the foals nose between. If one leg is sticking out much more then the other and or can barely be seen it maybe best to gently pull the “short” one out to straighten. If all is good I leave the mare alone and watch the rest on the stall cam. Once the foal is out it is normal for a bit of its hind legs to still be “in” the mare. This is the mare’s post foaling resting period. I do not go into the stall until she gets up. I generally wait until I can see that the umbilical cord has broken also.

IMO a stall foaling cam is god sent. A good wireless IR Cam with sender/receiver can be had for around $200. Our foaling stall are 14X14 when the cam is positioned correctly it covers the whole stall. The IR cam works great in a pitch dark stall, though it is in black and white. But because anything that is “hot” will “glow” on the stall floor like the “puddle” after water has broken and I missed seeing it. I have run down to the stall to check things only to find out it was a fresh warm turd.

I rarely worry about a more that is going “long”. It only sucks if I miss judge the timing and spend countless nights watching the foaling channel in vain. Mares that bag up and or act the part several weeks early is stressful.

[QUOTE=Laurierace;8584881]
They know that a camera that is mounted on the wall create an image of them that someone can see even if that someone is nowhere in the vicinity? Call Ripley’s.[/QUOTE]

You can scoff all you want. But yes, my mare knows exactly what a camera is.

She knows to strike a pose when the red light blinks (she’s a bridle model; complete with agent). She knows to be brave when at the apex of an oxer and that red light blinks, because the flash is coming next.

The foaling webcam we used blinked red as it picked up motion. It also had two-way sound. She could hear me as well as I could hear her. I would often wish her a good-night as I went off-shift on foal watch, and she’d put her nose to the camera.

And that night, I was watching baseball with the volume cranked to 11 because my parents are pretty deaf. She may have heard unfamiliar male voices on the tv, and she is extremely wary of strange men.

For his part, her son also knows exactly what a camera is. I “broke” him to flash photography before he could stand. He has no fear of the flash. He knows just what to do when that red light blinks.

Understanding cameras is a life skill high-performance hunter horses have to have. They have to be unflappable.

And mine are, without meds, or lunging.

Just good, empathetic, intelligent training that includes life skills they will need to thrive.

Feel free to call Ripley’s.

Any news? Photos?

The baby is here! Sass showed no signs last night. Bag, behavior, appetite, the whole 9 yards was normal. I even PH tested her and it showed a high PH. This am I have a beautiful colt on the ground. Momma and little Enoch are doing great. Thanks for all the input here. Ive attached a link so you can see him if youd like.
Thanks again.
Saydea.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206428450894222&set=a.1837207574081.2092516.1357235474&type=3&theater

Congrats!!! Love his blaze!

csaper58
Thank you! He looks just like momma. His sire is Grey and throw a large percentage of grey babies so time will tell.

:slight_smile:

He’s delicious! CONGRATS!!!

Most of the time that is the way it goes. We stress , fret and worry for nothing!

Beautiful boy you have there, congrats!

Looks like a strong well made little bugger. Congrats.

Might just be the angle of the picture but his right front looks a tad windswept. No worries if it is. That will correct itself in the next couple of weeks, month or so. Do not let people tell you different. Do not be talked into any kind of trimming until time has had a chance to take care of things.

Yay for the update!! Congrats!

Thank you guys! He is bred for speed and is unfolding nicely now. His Dam is WSR Honkeytonk Memory and Sire is Easy Bling Bling. The sire is Grey and Enoch here looks like he will be grey as well.
Any name suggestions? Im thinking “Singin N Bling Blingin” from the Big and Rich song.

I agree Gumtree it is slightly wind swept but seems to have corrected its self some in the short time hes been on the ground. The funniest thing is his right ear is floppy. The wind blows it over!
Here is another picture of him for anyone interested.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10206432103145526&set=a.1295057900678.2038002.1357235474&type=3&theater