Unlimited access >

Makeup to the Barn: Opinions?

Hey! So this has been an interesting topic for me and I was wondering what you COTHers think: Is minimal makeup to the barn acceptable?

Personally, as a blonde (and someone with light eyelashes and barely there eyebrows) I look like a completely different person without eyeliner/mascara and having filled in my brows and put on a little under eye concealer and powder.

Now that it’s summer I don’t wear makeup because I sweat so much, but there are days (even when I don’t want to put in the effort to put any on) that I feel as though I should use some as a pick-me-up for my appearance. (Not that it matters so much to me since I’ll be at the barn – but that I find probably 1/4 to 1/2 the people I ride with noticeably wear makeup.)

For brunettes, I think it’s a little easier to get away without wearing makeup since y’all usually have dark eyelashes/brows which are more prominent.

So, honest opinions!
I wanna hear it all!

And I’m not taking the thick caked on foundation/mascara/eyeliner!

I think most of the people I see at the barn with makeup on are wearing it because they came from somewhere like work or school. If I’m stopping at the barn on the way to/from somewhere I would wear makeup, sure, I’m not bothering to wash it off/reapply it. But to just go to the barn? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Unless I’m going to work or we’re going out to dinner somewhere nice-ish, I don’t ever wear makeup. Yes, my face looks different. No, I do not care.

Do you like wearing it? If yes, then wear it where you like. If no, then stop wearing it and don’t worry about what others think.

I personally rarely wear any make up- I’ll put a bit of powder on for work, but that’s it.

I say, why bother? I certainly wouldn’t put makeup on for the purpose of going to the barn.

They show blinged out QHs in Texas and Oklahoma all summer and many of those gals wouldn’t be caught dead without their hair and face appropriate to match all the fancy chestnuts and that silver trim.

They make waterproof stuff for eyes (but avoid the smokey eye look) pick a lighter color B&B type foundation, maybe skip the forehead where the helmet sits. Probably skip the blush.

Whatever makes you feel good is fine. Others should not care and if they do that’s their own petty little issue.

Really? You want my honest opinion?

I think women who wear make-up to the barn, that isn’t a result of having been elsewhere first, are insecure. If you’re putting makeup on to go to the barn, I feel kind of sad for you.

There it is in all it’s judgmental glory.

I barely wear makeup at all (and I’m blond with light eyes) M-F: Just eyeliner and mascara. I rarely even put that on on the weekends, only if I’m going out somewhere that isn’t the barn…and even then I try to avoid it.

I suppose that could be why I’m still single. :lol: (or maybe it’s because I’m judgmental.

Whatever floats your boat.

I wear makeup to the barn during the week, but only because I’m coming from work and wear makeup during the day. On the weekends, I rarely wear makeup period, let alone to the barn. I’m not out to impress anyone there so if I’m blotchy and zitty, my horse really doesn’t care. But if people want to wear makeup, that’s their business. Whatever you’re the most comfortable doing is what you should do.

I wear tinted moisturizer with SPF and my usual natural-lookinig mascara to the barn on the weekends because I usually get coffee on my way and maybe lunch or errands after so I employ magical thinking that a. it won’t sweat off or smear while I ride b. it will cancel out the slobber stains on my shirt, mud on my boots, etc. and make me look like I’m not homeless when out in public.

I wear a touch of lipstick, for my own self-confidence and not to impress any of my barn mates. Don’t know how old you gals are but at a certain age your once naturally rosy-red lips just sort of fade into your face and without a touch of color you look like you have no mouth at all. When I catch a glimpse of that in the mirror I frighten myself. So, just a swipe of pink to make me feel a little better about myself. Bonus? It’s got sunscreen in it.

[QUOTE=french fry;7682174]
I wear tinted moisturizer with SPF and mascara to the barn on the weekends because I usually get coffee on my way and maybe lunch or errands after so I employ magical thinking that a. it won’t sweat off or smear while I ride b. it will cancel out the slobber stains on my shirt, mud on my boots, etc. and make me look like I’m not homeless when out in public.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I’m supposed to aim for that goal? :smiley: I regularly go places before and after the barn, in all my breeches/goobered/no makeup glory. I’m going to have to talk to my mom for not raising me right.

FWIW: my best friend growing up wouldn’t leave the house with a full face on. She was very insecure about her skin. She’s gorgeous (Angelina Jolie look-alike) and I just never understood it.

I thought you were going to ask us what would be an appropriate “Makeup to the Barn” gift for some sort of transgression. :lol:

I know some areas of the country where if you aren’t wearing makeup when you go out, it is assumed you don’t have much money. That’s unfortunate.

[QUOTE=RugBug;7682210]
Oh, I’m supposed to aim for that goal? :smiley: I regularly go places before and after the barn, in all my breeches/goobered/no makeup glory. I’m going to have to talk to my mom for not raising me right.

FWIW: my best friend growing up wouldn’t leave the house with a full face on. She was very insecure about her skin. She’s gorgeous (Angelina Jolie look-alike) and I just never understood it.[/QUOTE]

I also frequently take the train to the barn, so more magical thinking ensues: if my face looks okay my seat partner won’t be able to smell the eau de horse!

I would only wear make up to the barn if the farrier or vet was a hottie and I knew he’d be there :wink:

Any makeup a wear to the barn immediately gets licked off my face by my horse :lol:. I don’t wear make up on a daily basis so sure don’t to the barn. Unless I want to impress my horse, the barn cat, or the rooster I avoid it.

I admit I sometimes purposefully put on makeup before going JUST to the barn (i.e. not after work, or because I was too lazy to take it off the day before. Oh, and then wash my face in the morning :lol:). The times that I do it is when I know something is going on afterwards that I don’t necessarily want to look all nasty for. When I do this, its not a full face of makeup, just some foundation, fill in my eyebrows, put on a little eyeliner and mascara.

But, I definitely don’t do it on a regular basis. I don’t really consider the barn a place that I have to look good for, especially considering I usually end up getting covered in dirt, snot/spit and poop.

No. It is so funny to see barn friends showered, wearing normal clothes and makeup. It is like meeting new people!

On purpose? No. If I have a plan to go somewhere or do something or have a reason to look extra tidy, sure. It’s whatever makes you happy.

Thanks! lol I’m relieved to hear there is someone out there who’s feeling sorry for me. :lol:

I wear a BB cream, and sometimes concealer on spots. I have fought with terrible skin for the better part of my life.

I would love to be able to go out naked faced, and I’m close to it with just a simple BB cream (that has SPF, which is great). Not all of us are that lucky.

Anyhoo, yes I’m insecure about my face.
I wouldn’t waste too much time being sad for other people though. :wink:

I’m with you, Silver Silence! Refuse to leave the house without a protective layer of SPR foundation to even out all my blemishes. I rarely wear any other makeup (eyes, cheeks, lips) to the barn unless I am coming from school or work. But foundation is a requisite.