Unlimited access >

Makeup to the Barn: Opinions?

Personally, I wear make up… at least a little bit most of the time. Its just part of my routine in the morning no matter where I am going that day.

I was hit with the ugly stick (we can’t all be victoria’s secret models) and top of bad skin and hair I have a crooked smile, big nose, saggy eye lids etc… And while I have accepted my looks, I do like that I can improve my appearance with just a little bit of help from makeup :slight_smile:

Or maybe I’m just a sad pathetic human being like others here have said. Judge away!!!

I’ve actually given up wearing makeup to the office most days because I spend my lunch hour either at the barn or the gym. It’s going to get washed off one way or the other and I don’t have time to put it back on.

That being said… a little pressed powder and eyeliner never hurt anyone.

[QUOTE=RugBug;7682147]
Really? You want my honest opinion?

I think women who wear make-up to the barn, that isn’t a result of having been elsewhere first, are insecure. If you’re putting makeup on to go to the barn, I feel kind of sad for you.

There it is in all it’s judgmental glory.

I barely wear makeup at all (and I’m blond with light eyes) M-F: Just eyeliner and mascara. I rarely even put that on on the weekends, only if I’m going out somewhere that isn’t the barn…and even then I try to avoid it.

I suppose that could be why I’m still single. :lol: (or maybe it’s because I’m judgmental.[/QUOTE]

What you said, and in sum: NOCD (“Not Our Culture, Dear.”) :stuck_out_tongue:

Them wot does, looks like they’s tryin’ too hahd . . . :winkgrin:

I don’t leave the house wihtout makeup. My daily look is clinique CC cream (SPF 30) a tiny bit of Bare minerals to cover shine, light blush, mascara and lipstick. Takes about 5 minutes or less.

Personally, I will wear makeup to the barn as I am a blonde with very light eyelashes. I like to wear a little bit of eyeliner and some mascara. Maybe a layer of powder to keep from being shiny. For me, it’s not at all because I am insecure, it’s because I really like to put on makeup. It’s fun for me. There are many times when I will go out to the barn with no makeup on. There are many times when I go to school without makeup on (GASP!). I just like to put makeup on in the morning.

I don’t bother personally (but I’m a brunette). I would find it slightly odd if someone comes in heavy makeup, but if it makes you feel better about yourself go for it. If you want to look decent but simplify/not stand out I’d just do a tinted moisturizer (w/ SPF!), colored lip balm, and a touch of mascara.

I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone that I thought to myself, “That is an ugly person.” At least not until they proved themselves to be by being ugly on the inside.

I’ve also never thought to myself, “That person would look much better with makeup.” ( I have though many people would look better with LESS makeup).

I do understanding feeling better with something on…my eyes can disappear without mascara…but then I just think that no one cares but me so I should just get over it.

Maybe I’m the only one that thinks that way…but I bet it is a lot more common. We put makeup on for ourselves…not because other people are going to shocked by our hideous makeup free faces

RugBug- some people not only think it (you are ugly)but will say it to your face. This happens a lot in the teenage, early twenties years. And yes, the people who say it out loud are either horrible, or horribly misguided.

I never wear makeup to the barn unless it’s leftover from going out the night before. I don’t wear makeup to work because as a dog groomer, one splash of water and my make up is everywhere BUT my eyes. So no makeup generally during the week, except maybe the odd outing with friends. Then on the weekend, I wear makeup to hang with friends (just eyeliner if I’m being lazy, eyeliner, eye shadow, maybe mascara, maybe blush if I’m feeling a bit more uppity) so the next day I generally have ‘leftover’ makeup and goes with me to the barn.

Just sunscreen and a little powder to tame the sunscreen shine for me. My horse likes it :smiley:

I can’t say I notice what people are wearing makeup-wise unless it’s heaps of eyeliner. Sometimes I wear sunscreen, sometimes mineral makeup, sometimes tinted moisturizer. It takes me about 3 minutes to put on some powder & chapstick, and it makes me happy not to shine everywhere.

I can say that once I was approached by a semi-stranger to insult me on my tinted moisturizer :eek:. I was volunteering at a physical labor job (not HR), and I guess it had gotten streaky. I didn’t really care, but I about died laughing at her brazenness. I’m not that vain - the prissy people volunteered at reception for the event :wink:

I met the saddle fitter the other day wearing regular people clothes and wearing makeup with my hair looking presentable. I had to text her what car I was driving because she didn’t recognize me.

I don’t - it generally ends op smearing, running and stinging my eyes in no time. Even when I come from work I will wash my face to get rid of it before I ride.

I don’t “judge” people who do it, I just find it incredibly impractical. Then again I am one of those people who leaves the barn with goobers, fur, sweat and hay and god knows what else sticking out of every orifice. There are people who can wear a white polo shirt and leave without so much as a wrinkle. It boggles the mind!! Those people can likely get away with makeup!!

My mom is like that. We never forget the jumper show where she and my jumper, who was a total priss, were hanging out in the tent sipping lemonade together as mother is wearing a khaki skirt, a pristine white polo, and little sandals. Mom and jumper stayed pristine. The rest of us were sweating buckets under the gooseneck trying to get a little shade.

I am very sad to hear that some women are still keeping alive the long-trained belief that your natural skin is “blemished.” Car paint jobs get blemishes. NOT PEOPLE.

Just be you! If someone thinks less of me or doesn’t like me because they disapprove of the shape of my eyebrows or some random complexion thingy, well, that is not someone I have any interest in getting to know and sounds like a pretty crappy person anyway.

I work outside (real job). I come home to the farm and work outside some more. Even when I boarded up until this year, I still generally looked like a sweaty homeless person around the horses. Well, doing field work too, LOL.

I know the cosmetic companies chortle all the way to the bank and I have to applaud their marketing skills, but guess what – I wouldn’t pass up my next eventer just because he had a spot on his face. I’d get to know him. I’d do the same for my next friend. Plus I need that money for vet bills, ha. Or at least a fun saddle pad – why waste it on crap you’ll sweat off that is built on a false premise that you are not good enough just being yourself??

Hey, you wanted honest and that’s the foundation (no pun intended) of the entire industry.

Plus your skin will be healthier without it. Just wear your sunscreen!

I don’t consider sunscreen or chapstick (which has SPF) to be “makeup.” I put those on any time I leave the house for anything. Putting those on to to participate in an outdoor sport–riding!–just makes good sense.

Maybe it’s because I’m not so young anymore, and mostly board with adults, but I can’t see any of us even noticing whether someone was wearing makeup or not, let alone commenting on it in anything other than a “wow, where are you going/coming from?” if someone showed up with a full face of makeup on. I’ve gotten the “wow, Jen, I almost didn’t recognize you!” when I stopped on the way to a family party.

I feel like Pig Pen at the barn. I sweat a LOT. Somehow I manage to get covered in hair, dirt and slobber stains every time. If I wore makeup I’d look like a raccoon in short order. I envy you people who show up in lovely riding clothes and still look presentable when you leave.

[QUOTE=toady123;7682532]
I don’t - it generally ends op smearing, running and stinging my eyes in no time. Even when I come from work I will wash my face to get rid of it before I ride.

I don’t “judge” people who do it, I just find it incredibly impractical. Then again I am one of those people who leaves the barn with goobers, fur, sweat and hay and god knows what else sticking out of every orifice. There are people who can wear a white polo shirt and leave without so much as a wrinkle. It boggles the mind!! Those people can likely get away with makeup!![/QUOTE]

That’s me too. My perfume is fly spray and my white polo shirt ends up covered in horse boogers.
Makeup is not going to help me.

I think a more interesting question is what moms of junior riders do.

While my daughter rides, I like to make myself useful. Most of the time I’ll tidy up her horse’s stall so the horse can go back into a clean stall. I’ll carry tack back and forth, help dry the horse after it’s hosed, gather up “horse laundry” etc.

Knowing I’ll be getting dirty, I usually wear a tank top, old sneakers, etc. Not much make-up or jewelry. But then sometimes I’ll feel out of place if I go sit with other moms who tend to come in white(!) Capris and sandals with a perfect pedicure…

[QUOTE=RugBug;7682379]
I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone that I thought to myself, “That is an ugly person.” At least not until they proved themselves to be by being ugly on the inside.

I’ve also never thought to myself, “That person would look much better with makeup.” ( I have though many people would look better with LESS makeup).

I do understanding feeling better with something on…my eyes can disappear without mascara…but then I just think that no one cares but me so I should just get over it.

Maybe I’m the only one that thinks that way…but I bet it is a lot more common. We put makeup on for ourselves…not because other people are going to shocked by our hideous makeup free faces[/QUOTE]

I think at the core of it, you’re right - we often do wear makeup because of our own insecurities. However, a lot of those insecurities are there because of how we have been treated by other people.

As well, you’re a nice person and wouldn’t think or say unkind things but there are a lot of unkind people out there, and there are a lot of people who make seemingly innocuous comments out of their own insecurities that really can sting and make one feel poorly about themselves.

I was made fun of in public by a woman at a barn Christmas party about 5 years ago for my choice of shoes. It really, really stung. I’m also regularly made fun of or ragged on for being thin. If you’re a sensitive person, these things can hurt!

Many people who try not wearing make up are commented on for looking tired or worn down or hungover - not exactly positive reassurance!

I think it’s a little insensitive to say people should just suck it up and become comfortable with themselves. Some of us are flawed when compared to the constant barrage of perfection in the media (as well as the constant affirmation of perfection through social media - you don’t get “likes” and “OMG you’re so gorgeous” from makeup free selfies!), some of us have been really made fun of in the past, some of us feel great with no makeup, and some feel most confident with a little help.

Being comfortable in our own skin is the ideal, absolutely, but it can be a great and very real struggle for a lot of people.

For me personally, I feel most confident when I even out my skin - it’s not so even on it’s own, and I’ve been insecure about it since growing up with a sister who had perfect porcelain skin. When it’s super hot out or it’s an early horse show morning or I’m feeling lazy, I’ll go completely makeup free, but if I have my choice, I feel most confident with a little concealer and powdered foundation, even at the barn. Sometimes I toss on a little mascara.