Unlimited access >

Makeup to the Barn: Opinions?

judge and shame, judge and shame.

Why do women feel the need to judge and shame other women who wear make up?

Interesting question. My 60+?friend whom I board and ride with, and I (55) both recently started getting our lashes done. (her hubby jokes we look like a pair of old strippers lol!) I love not having to put on mascara but looking vaguely glam, and I 'd rather go with out clothes than no lipstick. I love the Outlast 2 step stuff. Stays on forever and acts like the best sun lip protection ever.
Just how I roll.

[QUOTE=HLMom;7682616]
I think a more interesting question is what moms of junior riders do.

While my daughter rides, I like to make myself useful. Most of the time I’ll tidy up her horse’s stall so the horse can go back into a clean stall. I’ll carry tack back and forth, help dry the horse after it’s hosed, gather up “horse laundry” etc.

Knowing I’ll be getting dirty, I usually wear a tank top, old sneakers, etc. Not much make-up or jewelry. But then sometimes I’ll feel out of place if I go sit with other moms who tend to come in white(!) Capris and sandals with a perfect pedicure…[/QUOTE]

First off, you’re a hero. My own mother was much the same and, while I wasn’t near appreciative enough then, I look back now and am in awe of the sacrifices she made so I could ride. You’re worth more than 10000 fresh pedicures.

Secondly, I work in recreation, so I definitely never wear make up. I cannot tell you the last time I had on something that wasn’t gym shorts or breeches. I don’t even know what y’all are talking about in half these posts.

BB foundation??? CC cream?? Make up is too complicated.

Chapstick though? I never leave home without my chapstick.

I don’t like to scare people so I don’t leave my property without Aveeno tinted moisturizer (which has sunscreen), a quick brush of Bare Minerals foundation and light mascara on my top lashes. I gave up using mascara on my bottom lashes because it would run.

No need to feel sad for me. I am a perfectly happy person but like to look somewhat presentable in public. I don’t have the best skin in the world, no matter how hard I try. It is much better than it used to be but it definitely needs a little evening out. The Bare Minerals doesn’t have the “make up” look or fell - I actually really like it and it takes all of 30 seconds to apply.

I certainly don’t go to the barn or to a horse show with the same makeup as I would apply if going out to dinner. But, I just feel better taking the couple minutes to do the very basics.

Now, riding in my arena and working in my barn, different story and luckily my horses don’t scare easily - LOL

I don’t own any makeup. I now use chapstick, ever since I got badly burned lips at one of the HITS AZ shows, but that’s just for protection. I’m also one who can’t manage to stay clean at the barn…

But hey - whatever works for you.

I keep my “normal” face mostly make-up free. That way when I want to dress up I don’t have to put too much work into it. When I do want to wear makeup I use a few different things for my skin and under my eyes, eyeliner and mascara and I look more done up. If I wore that amount of makeup everyday, I’d have to put on more to look/feel better about myself, and I’m just not the piles of makeup type. Plus, if that’s my normal routine what happens when I wake up late one day (er… a lot of days)? That’s when you start looking tired/sick/hungover/all of the above. Nah, I’d rather make everyone get used to my face in all of it’s natural glory.

So no make up at the barn for me. I wear contacts and have allergies anyway, so eye makeup at the barn generally doesn’t end well.

Barn clothes, barn hair, barn makeup – they are all totally and completely your own call. As Cher once said, “If I want to have my boobs taken off and sewn onto the middle of my back, it is nobody else’s business. Period.”

Unless I am coming from somewhere, I never put make up on before the barn. I will take make up to the barn if I am going somewhere (fancier than the grocery store or local eatery). I usually just sweat it all off anyway, so what is the point of wasting?

OP, you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable and nice. I wear makeup to the barn in my backyard every day because the last sunscreen I got for my face is one of those tinted moisturizers, and no one ever sees me. It sure isn’t to impress anyone and my horses don’t care. But it IS important to protect your skin from the sun, my mom has already had one run-in with melanoma and I do my best to wear SPF and slather my kids with it every time we are out in the sun.

I know lots of blondes who don’t go anywhere without mascara. I’m a brunette so I rarely wear the stuff but I don’t blame them, especially the ones with beautiful platinum locks as that comes with platinum lashes often too. There’s a price to pay for that beautiful blonde hair, and it’s disappearing eyes. If a little mascara makes them feel more put together, who am I to say anything when I already have dark lashes. But I will never have their pretty blonde locks, so they have that on me! (I’m olive complected and would be hideous as a blonde.)

OP, your makeup sounds lovely and tasteful. Anyone who judges you is really saying more about themselves than you.

[QUOTE=IvyHall;7682704]
judge and shame, judge and shame.

Why do women feel the need to judge and shame other women who wear make up?[/QUOTE]
Because, you know, that’s how a lot of people here feel better about themselves. If they do it, it’s good. If they don’t do it, it’s wrong and if you do, you deserve to be shamed and pitied. I’m embarassed for some of the people who have posted on this thread, and they’re not the ones who wear makeup.

I almost never wear makeup anyway - I’ll use a touch of eyeliner and mascara if I’m going somewhere fancy, so I never take it or wear it to the barn.

I do tend to get dirt “makeup” on my face because I’ll touch it with my gloves without thinking about that, but that probably doesn’t count.

What other people do doesn’t concern me.

Wear what ever makes you feel good about yourself. I rarely put on makeup these days now that I work from home and literally live in a barn (our apartment is above the stalls, but you access our staircase through the fourth stall on the left which we converted into a tack room). That being said, I definitely feel better with a little makeup on so if I have friends coming over for a trail ride or something I’ll put some on. It’s not about being insecure, but about boosting your confidence.

I wear daytime makeup every day for a direct public contact job. While I just wear sunscreen in hot, humid weather, using a BB cream or tinted moisturizer below the forehead is pretty routine for me at the barn. I use tinted Chapstick too. That’s what I am comfortable with.

I suppose some of this depends on what kind of barn it is and what you are doing there anyway so generalities and assumptions are as off base as they usually are. Can’t believe it’s gotten to 3 pages.

I so rarely wear make up anyways I can’t think of a single time I have put on make up before going to the barn…maybe I have looked like it if I have gone early in the morning after going somewhere the night before? Do I think I look better with make up on? Sure, do I really care on a daily basis? No. I do wear it to work most of the time, important meetings etc where how I look is important but I probably wouldn’t otherwise!

[QUOTE=wildlifer;7682561]
I am very sad to hear that some women are still keeping alive the long-trained belief that your natural skin is “blemished.” Car paint jobs get blemishes. NOT PEOPLE.

Just be you! If someone thinks less of me or doesn’t like me because they disapprove of the shape of my eyebrows or some random complexion thingy, well, that is not someone I have any interest in getting to know and sounds like a pretty crappy person anyway.

I work outside (real job). I come home to the farm and work outside some more. Even when I boarded up until this year, I still generally looked like a sweaty homeless person around the horses. Well, doing field work too, LOL.

I know the cosmetic companies chortle all the way to the bank and I have to applaud their marketing skills, but guess what – I wouldn’t pass up my next eventer just because he had a spot on his face. I’d get to know him. I’d do the same for my next friend. Plus I need that money for vet bills, ha. Or at least a fun saddle pad – why waste it on crap you’ll sweat off that is built on a false premise that you are not good enough just being yourself??

Hey, you wanted honest and that’s the foundation (no pun intended) of the entire industry.

Plus your skin will be healthier without it. Just wear your sunscreen![/QUOTE]

You are joking, right? You have clearly never suffered from bad skin. What an incredibly condescending post.

Google Cassandra Bankson to see what a difference good makeup can make in someone’s life.

I suppose you’d also advocate for my mother not to cover the scar that runs across her face from a brush with skin cancer because you would personally still want to get to know her (oh, that makes EVERYTHING better!) I’m glad that makes you feel like you’re sticking it to the cosmetic companies but I can tell you with 100% certainty that she feels attractive and confident with it covered and like Frankenstein without. Thank god for good makeup.

You really have no idea what you’re talking about. I personally don’t wear a lot of makeup but have gone through brief periods of really terrible skin (“blemished” describes a lot more than just a car’s paint job) and good foundation and concealer made the difference between me being willing to go out in public and hiding in my house like a recluse.

Who are you to judge what makes someone else feel attractive?

I usually just wear some concealer with SPF and some coloured chapstick to keep my lips from being dry.

Last night I went for a lesson without removing my “work” make up first and it ran into my eye. Lesson learned!

Unless I am coming from work or going to shows, no makeup other than Physician’s Formula pressed powder. Though, only because of SPF and to even out and uneven spots to look atleast somewhat rested for my 6AM rides :lol:

I come to barn after work most days and working in a very professional environment I do wear makeup. So yes, it will be on at the barn. If I come on a weekend I still wear very light makeup because often I do errands before or after and since I am in a professional role in my community I prefer not to see my patients out in public looking scruffy. Whether right or wrong is a much larger discussion but is an expected societal norm for professional women and I conform :slight_smile: I totally get the other points of view though 100%.

I think the moral of the story is to each their own. No one is hurting anyone else for wearing or not wearing makeup. Goodness. I wish people could just leave each other alone about petty things and worry more about whether they are living a good life and making conscious decisions every day to help others and to be a happy helpful human being. Life is too short. Open a door for someone else. Help an elderly person with their groceries. Be a listening ear for someone who is struggling. Call your parents. Volunteer as a Big Sister. Do something worthwhile.

Whatever, man. Wear makeup if wearing makeup makes you happy. If not wearing makeup makes you happy, then don’t wear makeup. It’s not a complex thing. It’s a complexion thing. Ba-dum, tiss!!!

Some days I do, some days I don’t. I personally feel like I look better when I have eyebrows, eyelashes, and lips. The whole albino look doesn’t really work well on me. But some days I’m lazy and can only manage to put on chapstick. And this is like for everyday life and work and stuff.

There is really one exception and that’s when I am working at a trade show, in which case I go full-glam and my makeup is more like stage makeup than regular makeup. Those convention center fluorescent lights are not flattering, and you’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do to make the sale :wink:

As far as the barn? Sure, I’ll put eyeliner and mascara on before I go to the barn, if I feel like I want to. If I don’t feel like I want to, then I won’t. Sometimes I’ll even wash my hair before I go to the barn and sweat in my helmet. BECAUSE I FEEL LIKE IT.

Seriously, why can’t people just do what they want and allow other people to do what they want without being all judgy and weird about it??? And people who are all preachy about “I don’t wear ANY makeup EVER!” or preachy about “I could NEVER leave the house without makeup on!” ??? Good for you, no one cares. Do what you want. I’m going to do what I want, and keep doing whatever I want whenever I want. Not what you want me to want to do. JEEZ.

One word- why??? I understand the skin protection, but- unless there is a particularly nice horseman there I’m trying to impress,no, especially in the summer. Nothing looks worse than make-up running down your sweaty face :slight_smile: