Unlimited access >

Makeup to the Barn: Opinions?

I thought I was the only person who occasionally did this! Sometimes my hair is gross enough pre-barn that I don’t want to think about what it’s going to be like after it’s been shoved under a helmet.

Maximum makeup to the barn is acceptable, and anything in-between. It’s all dependant on what’s comfortable for you. If anyone cared to question my choice I’d question why they cared. Lol!

[QUOTE=Running Fox Farm;7683076]
One word- why??? I understand the skin protection, but- unless there is a particularly nice horseman there I’m trying to impress,no, especially in the summer. Nothing looks worse than make-up running down your sweaty face :)[/QUOTE]

Because sometimes I feel like it. And sometimes I don’t. Like, you know, whatever.

Exactly.

I was fine with you people making your own choices about makeup, but washing your hair before going to the barn??

Blasphemy!! Witches!! Heretics!!!

[QUOTE=fredsaid2;7683095]
Maximum makeup to the barn is acceptable, and anything in-between. It’s all dependant on what’s comfortable for you. If anyone cared to question my choice I’d question why they cared. Lol![/QUOTE]

Bottom line- this is the truth!!!

Wearing makeup makes me happy. Until my trainer tells me not to wear makeup, because it is “unprofessional”…but seriously, that’s not going to happen. So I end up spending twice as long putting on make up that looks like I don’t have any makeup on.

In Hunger Games speak, beauty base one.

(RFF, proper makeup application should never run down one’s face :wink: )

Do whatever your prefer.

Personally, makeup makes me feel self conscious and awkward (it certanly does NOT boost my confidence). The last time I can remember wearing makeup was at my wedding.

So no, I do not wear makeup to the barn.

But if it make you feel better, go ahead and wear it.

I only wear makeup to the barn if I’m heading there straight from work (most nights) but much much prefer to go barefaced. I am a sweaty, filthy person in the barn and the idea of rubbing mascara into my eyes when they’re full of horse hair is not appealing. Would I judge someone who wanted to put make up on just to go to the barn? Absolutely not, to each their own and all that.
Because really, who actually gives a flying F*** what other people think? Your life and your face, not theirs :wink:

[QUOTE=AmmyByNature;7683103]
I was fine with you people making your own choices about makeup, but washing your hair before going to the barn??

Blasphemy!! Witches!! Heretics!!![/QUOTE]

TBH, it’s never a “Well I’m going to the barn to ride and sweat in my helmet, so I better wash my hair so I look goooooood” thing…its more of a “my hair is so gross right now I don’t even want it touching the inside of my helmet” thing. :lol:

[QUOTE=Barn Dirt;7683127]I only wear makeup to the barn if I’m heading there straight from work (most nights) but much much prefer to go barefaced. I am a sweaty, filthy person in the barn and the idea of rubbing mascara into my eyes when they’re full of horse hair is not appealing. Would I judge someone who wanted to put make up on just to go to the barn? Absolutely not, to each their own and all that.
Because really, who actually gives a flying F*** what other people think? Your life and your face, not theirs ;)[/QUOTE]

Also, the last thing I notice about someone out at the barn is whether or not they’re wearing makeup. Wear all the makeup you own at once, but if you are a good rider or ride like crap, that’s what I’ll notice.

“SUSIE IS WEARING EYESHADOW!” No.
“SUSIE CAN’T KEEP HER HEELS DOWN TO SAVE HER LIFE.” Yes.

[QUOTE=AmmyByNature;7683103]

Blasphemy!! Witches!! Heretics!!![/QUOTE]

Hey, I resemble that remark. Particularly since I don’t wash my hair daily and use styling products when working- can’t stand the product residue in the helmet if it’s an off work day and I have the time to wash it before riding. Nothing like a sticky coating of leave in conditioner, mousse and hairspray on that padded part of your helmet that sits on your forehead.

Thinking back, that’s one thing I never wear when riding if I can help it, hairstyling products other then sometimes spray to glue the hair in place at a show which gets washed out ASAP, even with the hose in the wash rack on a really hot day.

[QUOTE=ladyj79;7683120]
Wearing makeup makes me happy. Until my trainer tells me not to wear makeup, because it is “unprofessional”…but seriously, that’s not going to happen. So I end up spending twice as long putting on make up that looks like I don’t have any makeup on.

In Hunger Games speak, beauty base one.

(RFF, proper makeup application should never run down one’s face :wink: )[/QUOTE]

Exactly! I like to put together in public, including at the barn (not at my own barn though). I wear makeup everyday but Sunday, but I use the good stuff and apply it in a manner that enhances my face in a subtle way. I give my face the day off on Sunday to help preserve my near perfect complexion (which is the result of a 5-step nightly routine).

You may note that I’m not commenting about what other people do with respect to makeup; I really don’t care. I’ve never understood people who want to talk about other people and what other people do or do not do. I’d much rather talk about myself :lol:

[QUOTE=busylady;7683237]
I’ve never understood people who want to talk about other people and what other people do or do not do. I’d much rather talk about myself :lol:[/QUOTE]

You are my “heart cother” :lol:

[QUOTE=french fry;7682970]
You are joking, right? You have clearly never suffered from bad skin. What an incredibly condescending post.

Google Cassandra Bankson to see what a difference good makeup can make in someone’s life.

I suppose you’d also advocate for my mother not to cover the scar that runs across her face from a brush with skin cancer because you would personally still want to get to know her (oh, that makes EVERYTHING better!) I’m glad that makes you feel like you’re sticking it to the cosmetic companies but I can tell you with 100% certainty that she feels attractive and confident with it covered and like Frankenstein without. Thank god for good makeup.

You really have no idea what you’re talking about. I personally don’t wear a lot of makeup but have gone through brief periods of really terrible skin (“blemished” describes a lot more than just a car’s paint job) and good foundation and concealer made the difference between me being willing to go out in public and hiding in my house like a recluse.

Who are you to judge what makes someone else feel attractive?[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are a lot of posts flying back and forth re: SHAME ON THE WOMEN OF OUR NATION FOR BEING JUDGEMENTAL… but hey if you were to stop by someone else’s farm and see a horse being schooled and it had dirty tack and unkempt mane and covered in mud and in general looked like crap-ola you’d certainly assume the worst and judge the heck out of its appearance. So would I. I was always taught to keep my horse as close to local schooling show groomed level at all times. Keep mane pulled, constantly wage war to keep it on the correct side, clean appearance, tidy well cleaned tack, hoof polish, etc. I also wear breeches, a polo, a belt, and black half chaps/paddock boots in the event that I should EVER have to meet someone.

So, therefore, by that logic, I usually prefer to be in minimal makeup. Because like job interviews, a pre planned orderly appearance says something about how you view yourself and what you are doing. I tend to get acne and acne scars (I blame corporate job stress :wink: ) so it not only makes me look less tired and hideous, but keeps me from getting awful sunburn. I also go with a brown eyeliner and brown mascara only on the top lids. If I am coming from the corporate office I may have eyeshadow and blush on, but not if I am coming from home. My horse is for sale and sometimes I ride for my trainer. I take the sport seriously so I try to look the part.

I asked my horse, and he is totally fine with me wearing makeup to the barn. Or not. As long as the treats keep coming.

I didn’t bother asking any of my barnmates about the makeup question, because their opinions of my personal choices -that affect no one else but me - are irrelevant.

I don’t wear makeup to the barn. Simply just sunscreen and then a Laura Mercier translucent mineral powder so it stays put and doesn’t sweat into my eyes (because holy cow that burns).

Otherwise, absolutely nothing. Not only am I sweating and dirty, the makeup is going to mix with it and I look DINGY. And it’s going to “clog” your pores. I notice when I wear makeup from work to the barn on a consistent basis, I start having “bumps” (aka closed comodones) on my forehead that only chemical exfoliation (lactic acid/glycolic acid peels) can take care of. So, then you wear more makeup to help cover; it becomes a viscous circle if you’re wearing makeup to cover skin imperfections.

I take a general “idgaf” view point when it comes to makeup at the barn; if you think I look like a scary ghost, that means you’ll stay away from me and I’ll have that just more room in the arena to do my thing. :lol: (just kidding).

If women want to wear makeup to the barn, then hunny do yo thing. If you feel empowered by it, and if in turn, that makes you ride better, then DO IT. I know I definitely wear mascara and “eyebrows” at horse shows, because I can’t cry at horse shows if I am wearing mascara. :lol: {I’m a stress crier}

[QUOTE=IvyHall;7682704]
judge and shame, judge and shame.

Why do women feel the need to judge and shame other women who wear make up?[/QUOTE]

Excellent point and well said. Reading the judgemental comments on here was a bit surprising. Make up or no make up, it is a personal choice. Truthfully, why would anyone care whether you wear it or not? It speaks volumes about those judging others for something so inconsequential that has no bearing on the character of a person. JMV

Please don’t think that I have never been made fun of or don’t have to constantly fight with society’s ideas of what I should look like. I’ve pretty much lived my life as the fat girl. I was mercilessly teased when I was younger. My body type has NEVER been represented in fashion. I’ve been teased about my cankles, my huge thighs (which are AWESOME when you participate in a sport that makes you wear tight light colored pants), my small boobs, etc. As a 20-something I had a Hollywood producer I had just met tell me that it was such a shame that I was fat. I’ve carried that humiliation with me for many, many years.

You know what makes me “like” a facebook photo? When I see joy and happiness in my friend’s faces. When their eyes are bright and alive. It ha nothing to do with the shape of their face or their features. It’s what is behind those features.

Why do we let society tell us that we aren’t good enough the way we are? Why the need to hide our flaws? Screw the magazines with their airbrushed images. Have you met models? A lot are pretty avg looking without all the hair and makeup and many have less than perfect skin. And yet we try to live up to them.

[QUOTE=inca;7682710]
No need to feel sad for me. I am a perfectly happy person but like to look somewhat presentable in public. I don’t have the best skin in the world, no matter how hard I try. [/QUOTE]

Why have we bought into the idea that we aren’t presentable without makeup or that we aren’t beautiful as we are? I’m as guilty of it as anyone…I do my hair (mostly), I shave my legs/armpits, I go to the damn gym in attempt not to be the fat girl I was always teased about being. but honestly? Why do I give them power?

I appreciate the power of makeup, but I won’t be so bound to it that I feel less presentable when I go without. Makeup can do amazing and really cool things. I also appreciate a bare face.

People get used to seeing us how we normally show ourselves. Wear makeup and then don’t? People will notice. Don’t wear make up and do? They will notice. It is usually US who attaches the labels of whether they see the change as good/bad. It’s not them wondering how in the world you can go out into the world looking like that.

Why do people take a request for an honest opinion and turn responses into a demand to BE LIKE ME!

No one needs to be like me. That’s not at all what I said. Do whatever you want and I know my opinion isn’t going to change that. But someone asked for honest answers and I gave one.

I just went to a horse show with a woman who put perfume on before going into her class. I thought to myself, “WTF” but I didn’t try to stop her. She offered me some and I did look at her like she was was out there and we laughed about it. She needed it to feel good about herself and I though she was crazy. End of story. No one got hurt, no one felt judged.

Since my barn is in my backyard, I don’t wear anything on my face. Super gross hair. Whatevs. My grandparents and little brother haven’t complained yet.

At horse shows I usually use BB cream so I have some SPF on. And always a hat to cover super gross hair (I’m a head sweater). Sometimes I’ll put my eyebrows on since they are sort of highlighted by wearing hats/helmets. Sometimes I don’t.

You do you, I’ll do me. But I can’t lie, at an A show this summer, a girl (I say girl, but we are adults) had a full face of make up w/ fuchsia lipstick and I was just “oh honey, no. Just no.” It was just too much. I honestly would have never noticed if it wasn’t for the super bright lipstick.

[QUOTE=King Creole;7683384]
Since my barn is in my backyard, I don’t wear anything on my face. Super gross hair. Whatevs. My grandparents and little brother haven’t complained yet.

At horse shows I usually use BB cream so I have some SPF on. And always a hat to cover super gross hair (I’m a head sweater). Sometimes I’ll put my eyebrows on since they are sort of highlighted by wearing hats/helmets. Sometimes I don’t.

You do you, I’ll do me. But I can’t lie, at an A show this summer, a girl (I say girl, but we are adults) had a full face of make up w/ fuchsia lipstick and I was just “oh honey, no. Just no.” It was just too much. I honestly would have never noticed if it wasn’t for the super bright lipstick.[/QUOTE]

This is what I wish us women didn’t do to each other. I would have seen that girl and smiled, thinking “you go girl, if that bright pink lipstick makes you feel confident and sexy, you wear that sh*t all day.”

A little vanity is not a bad thing.

I don’t see this issue as whether to wear makeup to the barn, rather whether to wear makeup. If putting on a little color is part of your morning routine, then don’t let your trip to the barn interfere.

I was never much of a makeup wearer, but then as I aged I started noticing that that fresh-natural-tousled look didn’t cut it so much any more. A little mascara, eyeliner, and lipstick make me look so much better, and a daily application of tinted sunscreen is good for me. However, since it is not an ingrained part of my routine, I have to remind myself.

So if you think you look better in makeup and you like it, wear it to the barn, because if you don’t, you will stop off at Starbucks on the way home and find yourself, in your grungy, sweaty, horse-stained glory, standing next to the snotty girl from high school. And if the makeup makes you feel like Jackie Kennedy after a brisk day of springtime hunting, rather than… …oh, fill in the blank…, so much the better.