Unlimited access >

Making a helmet fit when wearing hair down (help!)

Hi all!

So I have a GPA First Lady that was fitted with my hair up which makes it so that if I want to wear my hair down and out of my helmet, it’s too wobbly and big.

Anyone have any advise for stuffing or something I could use to fill the extra space of my helmet so that it would be snug and safe for me to wear my hair down? :confused:

Everyone runs into this problem :(. The helmet is not safe to wear with your hair down. Either buy a second helmet to school in, or always wear your hair up. The next time you buy a helmet, you might want to think about a helmet that has interchangeable padding (Samshield and I think Antares come to mind),

I would get a nice dial-fit helmet (Ovation Deluxe Schooler is a good one) to school in. I can wear my hair up, down, braided, low bun/ponytail, or whatever in that helmet because it’s so adjustable. They are pretty inexpensive too. I think the Ovation one is around $40.

My velvet IRH show helmet is a dial-fit as well. I love them!

And PS, I’m so jealous of your GPA First Lady :winkgrin: One day I shall get a GPA!

Bike helmets come with fit kits which have all kinds of pads for a more custom fit. I believe you can get replacement pads a bike shops that sell high end helmets.

Interchangeable padding is your friend. I think GPA sells thick and thin versions of their pads- if not, a bike shop can help you.

I am pleasantly surprised that this thread has yet to take the turn of how it is dangerous and unsafe and terrible to ride with your hair up. But I’ll give it 5 posts, it will get there… (Be prepared.)

And I was recently told how dangerous it was to ride with my hair down… I don’t know what to think anymore, lol. The reasoning the person gave was because my hair is so long it would be easy to be “scalped” if I were to fall off and my hair were stepped on/caught on something/ or somehow got tangled in my horses shoe

Fortunately I don’t do the hunters because I can’t get my hair up under a helmet. My hair is very long (almost to my waist) and very thick. I bought a helmet once that was fitted for me to put my hair up in and it looked like I had large salad bowl on my head!!
I event. So in dressage I ride with a low bun. Cross country I usually ride with a long braid. Show Jumping is either a long braid (if the day is being more informal) or in a low bun.

[QUOTE=MeghanDACVA;7437397]
Fortunately I don’t do the hunters because I can’t get my hair up under a helmet. My hair is very long (almost to my waist) and very thick. I bought a helmet once that was fitted for me to put my hair up in and it looked like I had large salad bowl on my head!!
I event. So in dressage I ride with a low bun. Cross country I usually ride with a long braid. Show Jumping is either a long braid (if the day is being more informal) or in a low bun.[/QUOTE]

I also have extremely thick waist-length hair. I have never had a problem fitting my hair under my helmet but I do have to be picky about the helmet as some give me mushroom head.

[QUOTE=HunterRider992;7437416]
I also have extremely thick waist-length hair. I have never had a problem fitting my hair under my helmet but I do have to be picky about the helmet as some give me mushroom head.[/QUOTE]

What helmets do, and don’t, work for you?
How do you put yours up? What do you do with it?

Hairnets, pantyhose, and lots of clips. Or a haircut lol.

Many helmets offer replacement padding. The First Lady is one of them. The liner is removable and you can replace it with a different sized lining. This is from the GPA website - Sizes available. From 52 to 60 in 2 outer shell volumes. Ideal balance between the helmet?s inner volume and the volume of the outer shell which creates a perfect aesthetic harmony whatever the shape of the head.

I think if you buy from somewhere like Dover you may only get the one liner you state in the sizing. I would email GPA and ask for a retailer in your area to buy just the replacement liners.

[QUOTE=MeghanDACVA;7437438]
What helmets do, and don’t, work for you?
How do you put yours up? What do you do with it?[/QUOTE]

GPAs in general work better for me than COs but I think what works best for you would depend on your own head shape. When you have to go up a size or so with all your hair it magnifies any less than perfect fit which might not be noticed with a smaller size.

I put mine up using the traditional “hunter hair” method with only one hairnet: Part down the middle, hairnet on front to back, arrange hair satisfactorily over ears while pulling hair and hairnet into a low ponytail, lean over and sort of coil hair around top of head, and finally one hand holds the hair in place and the other puts the helmet on back to front.

[QUOTE=MeghanDACVA;7437397]
I event. So in dressage I ride with a low bun. Cross country I usually ride with a long braid. Show Jumping is either a long braid (if the day is being more informal) or in a low bun.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I have very thick and at times VERY long hair. I’ve never had a problem getting my hair in my helmet. I HAVE had problems trying the low bun (occasional dressage show pre-fitting helmet) as there is so much hair my head is tipped forward and down…I can’t look up. Eek.

I just try helmets on to find what fits. I also have a huge head, so finding something big enough that is in stock in a brick & mortar store can be a challenge. I have had a GPA and currently have a CO AYR8. both work just fine, although I did have to get used to the larger profile of the CO.

[QUOTE=Renn/aissance;7437346]

I am pleasantly surprised that this thread has yet to take the turn of how it is dangerous and unsafe and terrible to ride with your hair up. But I’ll give it 5 posts, it will get there… (Be prepared.)[/QUOTE]
Just a question - how would having your hair up be dangerous?

[QUOTE=HunterJumper<3;7438644]
Just a question - how would having your hair up be dangerous?[/QUOTE]

I’m wondering about this too! Been riding with my hair up for years and everybody around me does, too. Never once has anybody ever brought up the fact that it was dangerous.
Maybe because if you fall there is a pressure point around your head where the helmet lays because your hair is up? No idea. But I’d like to know!

Having your hair up is supposed to cause the helmet to not fit as well. In other words, your helmet should fit your skull, not your hair. I suppose if your hair were to shift in one way or another it could compromise the safety. I’ve heard this for a number of years.

This thread is the first time I’ve ever heard that it could be unsafe riding with your hair down. In theory that’s a valid point, but man, I could have gone without thinking about getting my hair stuck in a horseshoe nail and getting scalped!! :eek:

[QUOTE=OnDeck;7437237]
Everyone runs into this problem :(. The helmet is not safe to wear with your hair down. Either buy a second helmet to school in, or always wear your hair up. The next time you buy a helmet, you might want to think about a helmet that has interchangeable padding (Samshield and I think Antares come to mind),[/QUOTE]
I just recently got the new Antares helmet and it did come with two sets of pads that are easy to change out. I love having the option.

That would be bull****. The real danger is in putting lots of hair inside a too big helmet. Fit the skull, not the hair. Contain the hair at the nape of your neck or in a braid, or down the back of your jacket…

Sorry Renn. I didn’t see your post before I wrote. As you predicted, I mentioned that fitting a lot of hair, panty hose clips, etc, inside your helmet and putting a great big hat over it is not a good idea…
PM me if you want more.

[QUOTE=Madeline;7440444]
That would be bull****. The real danger is in putting lots of hair inside a too big helmet. Fit the skull, not the hair. Contain the hair at the nape of your neck or in a braid, or down the back of your jacket…

Sorry Renn. I didn’t see your post before I wrote. As you predicted, I mentioned that fitting a lot of hair, panty hose clips, etc, inside your helmet and putting a great big hat over it is not a good idea…
PM me if you want more.[/QUOTE]

What are panty hose clips?

Sorry. Missing comma.

…panty hose, clips, etc…