Mb civil suit rulings 11/15/2022

It was brought up earlier that there was a possibility that LK (her own admission she could access MB’s office) removed the signed waiver or VK took those documents with her when she cleared out the office. It is not unusual to sign waivers at a later date as I have done that in the past as well as having signed new waivers after a year.

6 Likes

Or LK thought the DA felt this way… But was misunderstanding or misconstruing shat was determined.

3 Likes

It certainly does

1 Like

Too complicated. My take is that LK lied.

7 Likes

I agree. I think the documents were changing the terms of her contract with MB, or perhaps putting in writing terms that had previously been left unwritten.

I think she has the right to decline to agree to a new set of terms. He had the right to tell her to be out in 30 days if she did not agree to the new terms. He had the right to tell her to be out in 30 days in any case.

That’s why I’d be interested in seeing the document. I don’t think it was a “license to kill”, but I don’t see the point of the document unless MB wanted to change the terms of the boarding or training agreement.

Agree about the waiver that (at least in my state) is generally worded like the state statute, and mirrors the signs posted in most equine facilities.

That said, at the last two facilities I boarded at - both fancy-schmancy dressage barns - we also had to sign separate very lengthy boarding and training contracts that included extensive language detailing that we acknowledged that we were turning over care, custody and control of our horses to the BO (and by extension, to her designated employees such as trainers, asst trainers, barn manager, etc.).

So I wonder if there was similar language in the documents that MB wanted her to sign.

12 Likes

THIS ^. And CH - my comment about the Licence to Kill was sarcasm in reference to LK’s paranoid assertions.

And also…

THIS ^.

And now I await the usual comments about how I do not know what I am talking about and never managed a barn - or multiple barns - etc. etc.

That happened the last time barn specifications and rules came up in a discussion about pro-rated boarding and I shared that we did not do that - and most boarding barns don’t.

10 Likes

Not the sole owner, no.
But he leased the facility. Was MHG considered a subleasor?
As a sub leasor or leasor, do they get no say in who may boards there, especially considering that the owners were not involved in the boarding and training operations in the facilities?

1 Like

But off the record, how enforcable would anything from the DA actually be?

2 Likes

Were the waivers renewed annually?
Or at each season, considering they operated at two facilities in two states with very different requirements?

2 Likes

Perhaps he chose not to leave for concern of the welfare of the horses. Who knows.

As for asking RC not to leave, I would want a witness as well. Plus if Rg was mean mugging me I’d be keeping someone with me. But again, no one except those 4 know what exactly happened.

11 Likes

Or did LK have Daddy contact the DA and tell him that the mean trainer wasn’t letting Daughter Dearest in the barn? Let’s face it - he had no compunction about emailing the JUDGE in charge of his daughter’s lawsuit, so I can easily believe he was contacting everyone in LE in that jurisdiction, including the DA and possibly/probably even the PD. And if that is the case, then could that be where the DA, etc., was getting the idea that it was the K’s property and MB was nothing more than a hired employee or lessee?

10 Likes

My experience is that I always sign the liability waiver before the first ride. In a boarding situation, I have never been asked to re-sign a waiver, or the board agreement, on an annual basis. The board agreement always permitted the barn owner to change fees with 30 days notice without requiring a newly signed agreement.

So I have never been asked to sign a liability waiver months after I have been riding at a facility. I’ve also never had the barn owner or trainer change the terms of the contract in a way that would require a new contract to be signed.

Really? Can that be? /s (just in case…)

13 Likes

I’ve only been asked to sign an initial waiver prior to the first ride. I’ve never been asked to “renew” either the waiver or the boarding contract.

Yes, MB may have wanted RC as a witness, even though she was uncomfortable there. RG wanted a video record.

And?? Just because you haven’t had to does not mean doing so is out of the ordinary. I have been with a BNT and did not sign a waiver :woman_shrugging:t2: And I have been at another facility where the waiver was updated every year. Every BO/trainer has a different policy so not sure what your point is. And if I recall correctly, could it have been because she had someone visiting that she wanted to ride her horse(s)?

16 Likes

There are people who act upon beliefs that exist entirely within their own minds and nowhere else. LK wouldn’t have to cut off a toe or her heel to fit her foot into that slipper.

13 Likes

Just describing my experience of never having to renew either a liability waiver or a board contract on an annual basis, or ever.

I understand practices may differ in different barns.

Given the timing and the ugly situation at HH and MBs statement that he would get LK to be begging to leave by making things miserable for her, I suspect that the documents MB wanted her to sign, and called 911 when she refused to sign, were changing the terms of their contract in a way advantageous to him and disadvantageous to her, rather than asking her to renew a liability waiver she had previously signed.

I’ve never seen a liability waiver with an expiration date, so I don’t understand why renewing them is necessary. I’m not doubting that some super careful barns or trainers might require renewal, though.

Absolutely the best place I boarded had a lengthy contract, and required a deposit, like an apt does, so they had your last months payment and that could be used as your last if you failed to pay on time.

2 Likes