MB Civil Trial: JK/KK Contempt of Court?

I was thinking the same thing, but I couldn’t express it eloquently. Thank you!

4 Likes

This! A hundred times THIS!

5 Likes

Yes, regarding complaints.
Here is the form to use if so inclined:

https://www.njcourts.gov/attorneys/acjc/acjccomplaint.html?lang=eng

4 Likes

I really hope that the 48 hours episode will drive more awareness to the case… and MAYBE that will drive more people to the GFM, and result in help with the expenses.

12 Likes

What I’m flabbergasted about, beyond the treatment of MB, is the freedom Taylor and Shellehorn (1) seem to feel at speaking about an acquitted person like that.

If you were acquitted, ie not guilty, but incarcerated all that time, in those conditions, how well groomed would you look?

I’m seeing it through the eyes of someone who has rehabb’d animals, and seen the miraculous transformation that simple things like good food, care, and most importantly safety can have on restoration. Safety to sleep soundly to restore ones mental and physical self.

Frankly, I pity them, that their experience inside this system has denied them an ounce of compassion, empathy or basic understanding of the harm that they’ve been complicit in.

1- apparently they both made derogatory comments

21 Likes

Well, Taylor is a former prosecutor so I expect no better from Taylor after seeing Schellhorn’s behaviour.

20 Likes

I’m just going to circle back to this really quick.

Transcripts would be awesome. Also, transcripts are expensive, and aren’t routinely done and available. Maybe one of the reporters will request them.

Eventually, the video may be out there. Maybe 48 Hrs will include that part.

And anyone that wants confirmation by video/transcripts is well within their rights. I wasn’t trying to downplay that at all.

I also think that if someone feels compelled to speak out about what they’ve seen so far through pre-trial hearings, the trial itself, and now the accounts of this hearing by using NJ’s means, that’s cool too.

10 Likes

As disgusted as I am with the conduct of the K-Klan and Judge Taylor, I keep trying to look on the bright side of MB being at Greystone.

1. He is protected from the risk of a physical encounter with LK and her pack of coyotes - who are very obviously still out to get him.
  2. The public is also protected from the risk of an encounter that may turn volatile.
  3. He is being supported (fed and housed) by the taxpayers of NJ - as opposed to having to depend on someone else, or pay for it himself. (Had he been released with a mandate to stay in NJ while undergoing therapy, where would he have stayed? Doesn’t LO live in FL?)
  4. He will get the counseling and therapy he needs to continue healing.
  5. His therapy will be paid for by the taxpayers of NJ.
  6. His legal team can continue working on the civil cases without worrying about the possibility of another MB/LK clash (God knows, Deininger and Bilinkas are under enough strain as it is.)
  7. His chances of being reinstated by USEF may increase with proof that he has completed all treatment at Greystone and successfully navigated the levels at Greystone for release.
  8. Who knows what may happen in the next 6 months? The two sides may come to a settlement of some sort, the suits may get dropped, Judge Taylor might retire, a drug overdose may occur [edit]

Although I am profoundly sad that MB isn’t yet free, I am immensely relieved that he will be finally getting therapy to help him keep moving toward reclaiming his life.

27 Likes

I’m unwilling to think that this is the case, but rather I think there is significant pressure on the justice system right now as it relates to recidivism and I would expect a judge, in the case where there was gun violence, to err on the side of public safety unless there was an unanimous opinion on release.

If you look at the statistics on involuntary commitments, they’re not encouraging. Many people end up doing more “time” than they would have had they been found guilty, because there’s just so much leeway in the release criteria (which is how Krol came to be).

It takes massive resources on the part of the defendant to continually challenge their situation and defend their rights. Most defendants don’t have those resources meaning the right defendant has to end up in the situation to create law on it.

Maybe Michael is that defendant. Maybe it is ripe for a plucky young lawyer who wants to flex their wings and take it on, but this isn’t a John Grisham novel. I do think there is some law to be made if someone can see this through to the end.

26 Likes

Very well stated! I :heart: your analogy to coyotes! My visual is hyenas taunting, nipping, harassing, snarling, fighting each other and finally going in for the kill as a pack.

11 Likes

Hyenas is an even better description! :grin:

5 Likes

Wouldn’t that be cool? The Barisone Law (precedent?)!

6 Likes

14 Likes
5 Likes

I agree and think he will come out of this stronger than ever.
What I can’t figure out though is why did Taylor decide not to have the 3 month review? What if in 3 or fewer months, the doctors say he’s in good shape, he is equipped and can handle life and he’s ready to be released - does he stay there three more months and then go to court and hope Taylor releases him?

9 Likes

You can’t understand the “celebration/congratulation” post made by RG saying that he is excited that Michael is going to Greystone for “perhaps” six months?

Shall I explain it to you?

RG and LK believe that MB tried to “violently murder” them. Through the court process, their attacker was excused of all criminal responsibility, as he was found NG on two counts and NGRI on two counts. He was acquitted on all four counts, and the violent attack on them that nearly resulted in LKs death was officially deemed not a crime.

However, NGRI acquittals are only permitted to be released if they are deemed not a danger to the public or themselves, and at the Krol hearing that occurred last Wednesday, the judge ordered that MB be involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital for at least six months. The state does not consider this punishment.

I don’t find it surprising at all that LK and RG find some satisfaction in the result that their attacker is still In custody, despite the NGRI acquittal.

I also am unsurprised that Eggbutt is complaining that RG and LK have expressed “no remorse”.

Essentially yes; that’s what I am trying to figure out, how exactly one would file such a challenge in a case that’s ostensibly settled. This is just the legal mechanics, like can the defendant request an emergency hearing on his status? I’m still digging to find out.

14 Likes

How could they appeal a NGRI verdict when NGRI is what he pled?

I think the verdict is 100% water under the bridge.

Hyenas - before someone rips me a new one for my hyena analogy, let me provide some info. Hyenas are highly intelligent animals generally led by alpha females. They are intensely family oriented and work together to achieve their goal, which is to reproduce and survive. They are considered an Apex predator due to their ability to plan and work together to kill their prey. They are remarkable animals in the wild. I am reminded of the Kanareks when I think of a hyena.

12 Likes

It seems NJ allows for it here?

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-2c/section-2c-4-9

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-2c/section-2c-4-8

5 Likes