MB Civil Trial: JK/KK Contempt of Court?

Taylor was derelict in his DUTY

19 Likes

CAN anyone please explain to me why there are repeated posts about a case that has absolutely nothing to do with Michael Barisone except his attorney and a biased judge? :flushed: I don’t give a squat what appellate lawyer Vertitis used - we aren’t discussing appeals.

MOVE ON

15 Likes

Taylor was not “found to have improperly applied law” in the Barisone case, just the Vertetis case. I agree with everything else.

Barisone cannot appeal the verdict in the criminal trial because the verdict coincided with what he plead: NGRI.

2 Likes

Are there any updates in the civil trial?
Who wants to get a finger cramp from hitting the ‘not a robot’ images?

7 Likes

In all fairness the part of the change of lawyer is not relevant but the fact that this very same judge already proven derelict is now also doing questionable stunts in the MB trial and Greystone situation IS most certainly relevant.

16 Likes

Nothing new filed as of about 30 minutes and 400 fire hydrants ago.

24 Likes

Thank you for your impressive hydrant selecting skills @ekat!

6 Likes

That what I assumed, but IANAL.

1 Like

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying.

Okay, who raised the thought Michael Barisone was appealing the verdict?

I totally agree the Judge in this case is a real problem and if the rumor mill has any credibility, complaints by all sorts of people across the country are being sent officially to the the NJ board requesting a review of this judge’s behavior and rulings, not only regarding the Barisone case but other cases as well. Law & Crime certainly showcased Taylor’s animosity.

15 Likes

Hey legal people - Isn’t it really common for a person to use a different lawyer for their appeal than in their regular case? Aren’t their lawyers who specialize in that part of law? It seems like it would make sense to hire someone that works on appeals (and if you can not afford to pay one you use a public defender who does those).

4 Likes

BREAKING NEWS!!!

48 Hours will air Saturday, 9/17 at 10 PM!

EDIT - check your local CBS schedule. Mine shows a “new” episode at 9 and another “new” at 10, neither has info so I’m recording both!

34 Likes

The Barisone Acquittal?

2 Likes

Do the research yourself re: Taylor if you are curious. My point is that overturns (your word not mine) on appeal are not that common and certainly do not “happen all the time.” Furthermore, an appeal does not ‘overturn’ a ruling - it just opens it up for retrial.

According to this blog (based off of the Annual Summary of Appellate Division Statistics) for NJ state

In civil cases decided by two-judge panels, 75% resulted in affirmances. The affirmance rate for three-judge civil cases was slightly lower, at 69%. There were 1,087 two-judge civil opinions and 518 three-judge civil rulings hat produced affirmances.

On the criminal side, there were 1,126 two-judge opinions and 129 three-judge decisions where lower court rulings were affirmed. 88% of two-judge opinions resulted in affirmances, while 66% of three-judge decisions affirmed rulings below.

I just looked after Eggutt posted. It’s the season premier, but not the Barisone case.

7 Likes

Yes, generally. Appellate law is different than trial law. Excellent trial lawyers are not necessarily excellent appellate lawyers, so often when a case hits an appellate stage, there’s a switch in lead attorneys.

As a side note, MB didn’t appeal his acquittals because you can’t appeal acquittals so I’m not sure what we are talking about?

It IS possible for him to appeal his commitment levels, and/or hearing dates, however. It’s possible Mr Bilinkas might consider it, might consult with an appellate lawyer, or something else. All kinds of possibilities there.

8 Likes

Check again. There is a new episode at 9 and another at 10.

5 Likes

I saw there are two, but didn’t see titles or synopsis on them.
Clearly I am research challenged.

2 Likes

Where does it give us this information? On their website it says there are two episodes but not what they are.

2 Likes