MB Civil Trial: JK/KK Contempt of Court?

I’m not sure. There seems to be an attachment below the noseband (can’t see if it goes through the bit rings) with martingale-like attachments going down to the sides of the girth. I don’t see an extra set of reins in her hands, so not draw reins.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t the medical cost award be to her insurance company or whoever paid for her medical care?

6 Likes

Quite probably.

2 Likes

Having watched her video and her not-so-soft elbow (and less than forgiving hands), I would imagine whatever device it is isn’t kindly used. Then again, I haven’t seen that video.

3 Likes

So sorry you have to deal with lupus. Im glad you are able to enjoy your horse and work through issues on the problem days.

5 Likes

Oh dear…that is just a little mind boggling.

5 Likes

Thanks! Last horse died two years ago. :cry: I still had 2 1/2 decades of horse ownership after my diagnosis at 40. There were some days I had to sit on a fence post and watch a trusted friend exercise my horses, but most of the time I managed to get in the saddle and get some good work done. :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes

I just checked out the video.

It looked to me like side reins, that were on the horse while she was riding.

I believe the coach you can hear in that video was actually Ulf Möeller.

Others can correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is not entirely uncommon for lower level amateur riders in Germany to have side reins on lesson horses while they are learning. It’s pretty uncommon in the US though.

I think draw reins can be more forgiving in many respects than overly tight side reins. I do use side reins when lungeing. But am careful… and I prefer not to adjust them in an extreme, overly tight way. My feeling is that they are best used as a tool to encourage the horse to develop an acceptance of basic consistent contact.

9 Likes

Thanks for the explanation! I think I would feel uneasy with side reins under saddle. It looks like a horse couldn’t get caught up in them, but with horses, you never know.

Appropriately adjusted side reins while lunging are one thing, but I wouldn’t chance them under saddle. I’m sure if they’re common in Germany, they must be relatively safe. Of course, I was always a TB owner, so Warmbloods would probably be less risky?

4 Likes

I keep draw reins and curb reins loose until I need them.

6 Likes

Just so we are abundantly clear, I am absolutely disagreeing with your position. You seem to have a lack of understanding regarding the elements of a personal injury case.

The plaintiff must prove the defendants:

1. owed the plaintiff a duty
  2. breached that duty which
  3. caused an injury which
  4. resulted in a loss.

If Michael Barisone is not going to dispute he shot her, he might as well get out his checkbook right now.

Of course he and the other defendants are going to dispute every single element listed above.

They are also going to bring forth evidence of her comparative negligence and her failure to mitigate her losses.

SGF is not solely trying to say it’s all Barisone’s fault. They are disputing every single element, which is apparent in their pleadings, which Mr Silver is extremely skilled at writing.

That doesn’t even touch on Michael’s counterclaim, where he has to prove the same four elements re: Lauren’s actions.

None of them get to go into court and say, “but the other jury…”. It does not matter what the other jury did, at all.

52 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to explain things to us laypeople! [Edit]

15 Likes

Not likely. What could happen is, when they tell a story that conflicts with previous statements, they would be presented with transcripts and asked if they remember making a statement under oath on such and such a date, and then “could you read what your answer was at that time?” Over, and over again.

29 Likes

I’d be totally nervous with side reins under saddle. I’ve seen a horse panic and flip over when lungeing, while wearing some de reins that were adjusted extra tight.

I’d also be super nervous with them on a horse while it is in an outdoor arena, with horses bombing around in a turnout right next to the arena…

From what I have read, the side reins while riding thing in Germany often applies to lesson horses at riding schools, when people are riding in indoors. I could see how it might be effective and ok in that situation.

Full disclosure… I’m describing something I have seen written about. Sooo - I’m at best, second hand source of knowledge. :slightly_smiling_face: Maybe it’s not all that common in German lesson programs. Hopefully someone who has first hand knowledge of actual lesson programs in Germany can weigh in and confirm what I am trying to describe… or refute it, if the descriptions I have read are actually inaccurate.

5 Likes

They also said that mediation had failed and they intended to move for summary judgement. It certainly didn’t fail because they rushed to offer LK a large sum of money. They probably only offered legal expenses for her to walk away…

9 Likes

I totally understand that. I grew up riding forward ponies in Pelhams with two reins. I’ve also ridden in gags with two reins, and was tactful and judicious as well.

But… I can understand the whole idea of developing a feel for what consistent contact is like, and how side reins can encourage a horse to accept consistent contact. I just can’t wrap my head around using them while riding! That scares me.

8 Likes

Who knows, maybe LK offered them something for dragging them into the suit and they felt it was insufficient.

But either way, yes, settlement attempts failed.

10 Likes

Could it be a German martingale?

1 Like

Yes, that makes the refusal to engage in discovery make sense…

6 Likes

No, I think @Virginia_Horse_Mom is correct. Side reins. I used side reins for lunging but always hooked them to my snaffle rings.
These look like they’re somehow attached to a noseband attachment of some kind.

3 Likes