Unlimited access >

MB update

Sad to hear that the hearing has been postponed but glad Michael seems to be doing well. It really does highlight the problems with the justice system and how long it takes to get things done. At least there is a light at the end of this horrible tunnel for him.

8 Likes

Thank you for the update. I agree with @Davignport - what a pity that the hearing was postponed and it certainly highlights a number of issues. I wonder, based on Krol, when we get into a violation of his rights with all these delays?

But, good to hear heā€™s looking and feeling better! I forget to check the Go Fund Me so I appreciate the update here.

9 Likes

realistically, someone will have to bring a challenge to this to the state supreme court in order to get a real answer.

I agree it would be very interesting constitutional law.

7 Likes

Why was the hearing postponed? Lack of personal or more time to evaluate?

No direct knowledge, but I was remembering back a while when he was waiting for a free bed, I believe in the general population. Perhaps that delay in turn delayed the full evaluation.

4 Likes

Most states/courts stopped the clocks with moratoriums on speedy trial. Logically that should have been lifted but there is such a crushing backlog they literally have no way to reverse it. Itā€™s 2 steps forward 1 step back kind of stuff.

I am of the opinion that in this case it works in MBs favor. I predict he will be home for the holidays for certain. I could be wrong but I imagine when the Wellie World season swings on in, he will be there to enjoy it.

Iā€™d even bet on it.

We must remember he was adjudicated Not Guilty after all. As long as he can present properly to the docs and at the hearing there is zero reason to continue to hold him. And from what Iā€™ve read about the place it is under huge scrutiny by state senators and others. Everything points to him getting out.

28 Likes

Given that a certain individual is now a resident in Welly there will probably be some legal things to be sorted in re: restraining orders before that happens - unless he plans to stay only at his farm and not attend any shows where said person may also be.

5 Likes

An Order of protection indicates distance in feet so a large venue can easily accommodate both parties.

15 Likes

Yeah, it unfortunately doesnā€™t stop someone from making a huge entitled scene even if everyone is in compliance.

16 Likes

Then eventually they are banned from the property.

Were I show management anywhere (not just this situation) Iā€™d post a sign like they do in stores about the right to remove unwanted persons from property.

16 Likes

I would imagine MB would have grounds for a no contact order (or two) as well.

Then it becomes tricky because if there are restraining orders for both parties, one person doesnā€™t automatically get the right to be there and the other mandated to leave. But like KM said, it is based on feet so I suppose it would be at law enforcements discretion if they were called.

I imagine MB will want to avoid certain parties like the plague considering he was still fearful of them after being detained and having significant barriers between them, but Iā€™m speculating there.

8 Likes

There is a way to make it easier to figure outā€¦.

2 Likes

Lara has shared a beautiful pencil drawing that Michael did while in jail. She said that his skills have improved since then. Go t the GoFundMe and check it out!

22 Likes

MB is currently under a no contact order from SS as well as a temporary suspension. Until the temporary suspension is lifted, he is not permitted on the show grounds of USEF sanctioned shows.

If his eventual release from the psychiatric hospital is subject to conditions or restrictions, it seems possible that he would be required to stay in NJ, depending on the nature of the restrictions.

2 Likes

Its impressive!!

6 Likes

@Salty, thank you for the heads up to go look at the Go Fund Me! That drawing is amazing. Hard to believe someone can do that with crappy pencils and from memory.

14 Likes

Why? Based onā€¦?

12 Likes

He canā€™t be incarcerated in NJ he is not guilty. He will be released. This isnā€™t parole.

As he was acquitted its likely SS will be lifted. Iā€™m sure there will be a reciprocal stay away order. His SS will likely be over eventually while others in the situation still have their own matters to adjudicate.

32 Likes

Donā€™t fall into the trap! Walk on byā€¦

49 Likes

Many questions are being asked in the dressage world regarding the delay in the initial mental health evaluation hearing. I sure hope there are reasonable explanations for the delays at this point. We are quickly approaching the three year anniversary of Barisoneā€™s incarceration. He was found not guilty in April. It really would be a shame if he continues to be confined well beyond the 30 day evaluation period for punitive reasons.

Edit to correct incoronation to incarceration!

33 Likes