Medina Spirit fails drug test

Obviously I disagree. That is part of the beauty of racing for me. As an extremely small time trainer with almost nonexistent pockets I was bound by the same rules as everyone else. There is nothing subjective about it unlike hunters where I came from. My horse gets to the wire first it doesn’t matter that I claimed him for $5k and someone else bought their horse at Keeneland for $500k.

6 Likes

Well, in my jaded, increasingly cynical opinion, of course the local yokel will be sentenced but I expect the Senator or Representative will get off Scot free. Too much evidence to suggest otherwise. The rule of law looks increasingly dodgy in the US of A.

2 Likes

Well, what you said isn’t untrue. But that’s probably because the senator has a better attorney.

I should say that one put a much larger black streak on the face of the “industry” than the other. With publicity comes power. Something something Moses and the rock something.

But it probably does matter if you were at a claiming race, or the Kentucky-freaking-Derby. One has a MUCH larger implication on the sport than the other.

Can you at least agree with that? That the KyDerby and its results has the potential of impacting racing more than Race 9 Maiden claiming at Turfway?

No I do not agree. Not even a little bit.

So, they’ve got their eye on him!!

1 Like

Five people employed to check whether or not BB is cheating.

1 Like

Racing is either ‘clean’ or it isn’t. The social licence to continue racing depends on its public image. The general public don’t know the difference between a Group 1 and a Maiden and racing already has a seedy reputation. Similarly, and significant for racing finances, people betting either trust the race is run fairly or they don’t make the wager. Their money can easily go elsewhere in an internet-linked world of gambling and it is doing so. It is the ‘little bit pregnant’ thing.

However, in terms of breeding and the health of the entire American TB industry then BB cheating in the KY Derby and the subsequent fiasco of claim, counter claim, lawyers dancing on pin heads whilst they split hairs and racing authorities displaying as much backbone as the average amoeba, well, that has much more serious, long term consequences than a drugged maiden. Why use an American stallion if it is unclear whether the racing performance was clear of chemical assistance? Was the horse running sound or doped? Was that speed genuine or the result of a little extra chemical oomph? American racing is an international outlier in permitting ANY steroids to be used.

One apparent trend in recent UK and Irish bloodstock sales has been an increased number of American buyers.

9 Likes

the biggest problem, that I see, is that racing lacks a governing body. When you lack a governing body no one is playing by the same set of rules; or consequences. When you have local, smaller governing bodies enacting consequences, or lack thereof: you have corruption, favoritism, misaligned judgements, etc. If you do not believe so then maybe one should look at why Holldendorfer was banned for his actions and yet Stronachs leave Bobby B to do as he pleases despite his immense track record. And this isnt considering the hearsay around BB; this statement is just taking into consideration the on-file facts of his wrongdoings over the years.

Its long outdated and its long overdue for a change and racing really needs to sh*t or get off the pot on this. they NEED nation-wide governing body with a set of rules that extend to everyone. Infractions, drugs, abuse, etc should be clearly listed in a set of in depth rules and below each should be a listed level of punishments for each level of infraction. There should be subsidiaries of each for penalties relating to repeat offenses for each class of infraction or wrongdoing. State and local jurisdictions are free to carry about their local governances but offenses would be handled to the rule book without any straying from the set consequences. Testing and testing sites to be utilized by any track should be clearly defined as well. The Medina Spirt split sample joke is a prime example of proof that local racing jurisdictions have proven inept to properly police, hold liable, and enforce the rules before them.

Racing doesn’t need the Feds involved to police this non-sense. Racing needs to step up and do right by the horses’ in its sport and rightfully police itself. When racing stops playing games with slaps on the wrist to any offender, lack of follow through on consequences, and lack of hard law for repeat offenders; only then will the sport clean itself up. The offenders out there know what they can get away with. The fines not steep enough. the banned time periods not long enough. no action on repeat offenders. No one is being used to set an example for the rest.

Bob has been allowed to have as many severe medication violations year after year because there is NO consequence and because he is the superstar of the sport; he is not held to the same yard stick as everyone else.

Get a governing body today, put the rules on paper and act on them to a T. get it done.

1 Like

Just chiming in to say that the general reputation of those involved with racing is quite negative as far as the non-racing public is concerned.

A group of horsemen banded together to option 250 acres in a neighboring town to build a seasonal track. Both dirt and turf tracks were planned and the thought was it would increase commerce in town in all the usual ways (overnight lodgings, restaurants, farm products etc) from the track itself and all the spectators who would take the train from nearby towns. However, when they presented the project at the town meeting they were met with extreme resistance. As one attendee described it, “Towns people were carrying spears and flaming brands to drive back the monster” as they feared the moral turpitude of people associated with racing. Needless to say the plan evaporated.

5 Likes

I take it that you don’t support HISA, but that you want every State racing authority to do overnight something they have been incapable of doing since the beginning of time?

1 Like

So, why has this dragged on this long? This allegedly answers that question.

1 Like

[quote=“snaffle1987, post:772, topic:759608”]
the biggest problem, that I see, is that racing lacks a governing body. When you lack a governing body no one is playing by the same set of rules; or consequences. When you have local, smaller governing bodies enacting consequences, or lack thereof: you have corruption, favoritism, misaligned judgements, etc. If you do not believe so then maybe one should look at why Holldendorfer was banned for his actions and yet Stronachs leave Bobby B to do as he pleases despite his immense track record. And this isnt considering the hearsay around BB; this statement is just taking into consideration the on-file facts of his wrongdoings over the years. [/quote]

That’s what I’d always thought the TRPB was supposed to have been. It seems they do nothing, but tracks are still members. Do they pay them for whatever they may or may not do? If they pay, they aren’t getting anything for their money.

When I had a horse at a track, I was led to think it was a big deal. We had to show our TRPB card just to get to the backside or go across from the grandstand to the barns.

Now I learn here on this bb that people in the business never heard of it.

Dang.

TRPB is not a national governing body. Never was, never will be.

1 Like

you completely missed my point

Bolding is mine.

It is quite possible that I “completely missed your point.” Your post was confusing. What involvement by the “feds” are you against? HISA?

Are you familiar with HISA, the people who have been chosen to serve in that governing body and the people involved in racing who support its implementation? (Hint: Baffert isn’t one of them.)

If you aren’t referring to HISA, what involvement by the Feds are you talking about?

Who are you expecting to “get a governing body today”?

my point is that racing has been unwilling to help itself and put together a legitimate racing authority and rule book. Instead; they are relying on the Feds to step in and monitor their wrong doings. I am not against the feds stepping in; however they are only doing so because racing can’t do so legitimately themselves without favoritism, bias, or lack of follow through. The Medina Spirit case is just beyond an embarrassment and a sham and a poster child for how inept racing’ organizations have proven to be.

I have said it before and I will repeat it again; racing is responsible for its own demise. They are losing the betting public by the day. All of these tracks sit on prime real estate with developers sitting in the shadows salivating. It doesnt matter how pricey the newest weanling went through the ring; when there is no tracks to train and race; the entire industry goes under the mud. And when that sun sets; the only people to point the blame at is those who could not conduct business with animal welfare and fairness in mind and the racing authorities who couldn’t be authorities without favoritism, bias, and lack of follow through.

10 Likes
1 Like

You keep trying to nail the coffin shut while the body is still warm and kicking. As Mark Twain said, “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.”

4 Likes

Those with a vested interest the industry don’t like looking at the reality of the situation and they certainly don’t like acknowledging the reality when it’s slapping them in the face; case in point.

Don’t get me wrong; I am thrilled to see something like HISA come to fruition but we have yet to see what their ruling arm will look like. It’s in it’s infancy right now and given the history of rule enforcement and animal welfare within the industry; I am reserving judgement on whatever HISA comes to be. Time will tell. I have no comment on whether or not it will be the end-all, be-all. Time will tell.

2 Likes