Medina Spirit fails drug test

They aren’t making it easy for the California trainers that take on his horses, as far as paperwork is concerned.

No kidding, any suspension over 60 days means that trainers taking over have to apply for stalls.

Not familiar with what the standard procedures are for obtaining stalls or when horses transfer to a different trainer.

Wouldn’t trainers need to apply for stalls for their horses no matter if they came from BB or not?

They do, but I think the usual practice when a horse is already on the grounds and transfers to another trainer who has stalls is to just walk the horse over. Of course there’s some paperwork, but I doubt it’s anything terribly time consuming.
In this case there’s extra paperwork to be completed as it’s treated as a whole new application for stalls. I am unclear if the horses had to be moved off the premises and then come back once stalls are approved (assuming they are).

Contained in the article; McCarthy, 59, has had 5 wins from 19 starters this year, equaling his win total from 2021 when he had 57 starters. McCarthy trained Majestic Harbor, winner of the Grade 1 Gold Cup at Santa Anita in 2014.

McCarthy’s wife, Kim, is Baffert’s stable office manager.

Strange that Baffert is listed as the trainer of Doppleganger with 10 Derby points when his horses are excluded from earning Derby points by Churchill.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/triple-crown/road-to-the-kentucky-derby/2022

1 Like
2 Likes

I am not sure what the point of NYSGC and TDN announcing that Baffert is also suspended from NY. He is suspended everywhere. Seems self serving to me.

I think the clue to the NY announcement was the " banned in NY at least until early July".
Perhaps a hint that NY will take action of their own.

BloodHorse also reported this, as did Paulick.

1 Like

Paulick Report is self serving as well. Let the guy do his time and be done with it.

Tell them, not me. :smile: The press has no influence in the length of his suspensions.

I understand, I wasn’t directing my comments at you. Sorry if it came across that way. It’s just not news in my book.

I posted only because of the “at least” coming from NY. The NYRA seems to be heartily peeved with Baffert. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m interested to know, if you are aware, of how the racing people in your area feel about this mess.

I am not at the track anymore so don’t really have a feel for what racing people are feeling. The whole thing has just been so weird, my guess is most of them just want it to be over so they can stop hearing about it.

1 Like

Isn’t that BB’s strategy? To use a team of lawyers and the courts to delay any disciplinary action until everyone is bored or had forgotten what it was all about anyway. It seems to have worked the many other times he’s been caught being a very naughty boy.

2 Likes

That is generally everyone’s strategy no matter what they are being punished for. Usually trainers will delay/bargain to do their days during their down time. For people here that is probably the dead of winter. If you were a trainer with lots of Classic horses that is probably the dead of summer.

1 Like

I guess that this will save some legal fees!

He’ll re-file next year, no doubt. The CDI ban is for 2 years.

1 Like

Paulicks take. Interesting POV.

I think that’s a ridiculous letter in so many ways.

10 Likes