Medina Spirit fails drug test

Yes. Corniche, amongst other possibilities.

I dunno about Corniche, as that horse has only just returned to the work tab. It seems like he was going through a growth spurt or two, or at least that’s the explanation Spendthrift gives.

Baffert would have had Messier and Taiba both in his barn.

2 Likes

Amr Zadan bought a 2 Y/O Uncle Mo colt that will go to Baffert when he is able to train again.
The colt was very nice, wasn’t my favorite, but sold for 2.3M, with Coolmore the under bidder, so what do I know? Here he is; http://obscatalog.com/apr/2022/206w.mp4

Article from BH https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/258175/zedan-racing-goes-to-2-3m-for-quick-uncle-mo-colt

good for the seller.
how often have the top dollar sales actually bothered the stewards at the Derby?

The pinhookers had a great day for sure. I’m sure the breeders are happy as well.

1 Like

Zedan also got the 2nd highest lot of the day, a Justify colt who sold for $600k.

I didn’t get much of a chance to peruse the catalog for this sale, though I did watch some of the breezes. I noticed more than a few were withdrawn after they breezed, and I can only guess that maybe they came back with a ding or a slightly dirty scope. That’s got to be anxiety-inducing to have that happen this late in the sales calendar.

I did overhear that one colt (? - I can’t recall which lot) had a previous surgery for nephrosplenic entrapment. He still sold for six figures.

I don’t know. I didn’t watch much of today’s sale. :slightly_smiling_face: Hopefully I’ll be able to watch more tomorrow.

I don’t know about anyone else here, but this article in BH didn’t elicit anything like empathy in me for Baffert’s “Avengers”.

Messier is a good horse, though, and he can’t help who his owners or would-be trainer are. I loved Empire Maker (and everything Toussaud), so it’d be neat to see him get a Derby winner on his resume posthumously.

1 Like

The latest development in the chain of Things That Aren’t Going Bob’s Way:

Not that he races there very often, but still.

7 Likes

I have to say that this would have never made it to this point had BB been set down for all of his initial drug violations and learned a harsh lesson. Instead he was handed a hand slap or got off entirely further feeding the ego of “untouchable” and setting the industry-wide precedent that the current rules of the land hold no-cards to driving improvement. Same goes for all other trainers with extensive histories that keep getting bigger. The policy should be zero tolerance and big consequences.

Now Mr Untouchable is feeling the heat on the worldwide stage and crying poor-me. I had to laugh when they protested that these newly deemed suspensions are going to ruin his business and career… Pot Meet Kettle.

4 Likes

Isn’t the Belmont covered under this?

This year’s Belmont is covered under the 90-day suspension. I presume NYRA is going to try to put a 24-month ban in place effective the day after the current ban expires, but I could be wrong.

The whole thing is Christmas all year long for Baffert’s attorneys. I wonder if Zedan is picking up this tab too, or if that only applies to the cases that directly involve his horses?

Baffert won’t be able to take horses to the Saratoga meet if he’s banned, not that he usually brings a barn full, but there are some high profile races there that he does enter.

1 Like

I think it says in the article that that is the plan. They also mentioned possibly giving Baffert credit for the 59 days that he was banned before he obtained the preliminary injunction.

The owners want to run him at Saratoga. I guess they aren’t willing to take a chance on the NYRA ban coming to fruition.

3 Likes

Why won’t he give it a rest already? :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Because he feels wronged. He is a Hall of Fame Trainer, has won $$$$$$$ and has consistently got away with drugging horses in the past so obviously - lol - he is being wronged. It reminds me quite a bit of Lance Armstrong

9 Likes

I loved Lance Armstrong when I read about him in Guidepost. Then I read his book- he’s lower than a snake’s belly in a rut. I bought the book when my husband was fighting mantle cell lymphoma. I wanted to give it to him for inspiration. I threw it in the trash after reading it.

2 Likes

Baffert reminds more of trump with his (Baffert’s) conspiracy theories, ‘biased media reporting’, the truth will come out, no one is listening to my side of the story

Wonder what he’s going to say today

6 Likes

“No one is listening to my side of the story, the truth will come out, it is all due to biased media reporting and everyone is out to get me”.

3 Likes