Unlimited access >

Memorable Horse Tattoo

[QUOTE=Kels;8199938]
Obviously this is in a very visible spot (and, hey, believe it or not, I am educated and I AM able to have a “real” job (and do have one!), despite what many members of our culture might believe :wink: but here is one of mine…

https://instagram.com/p/pHnLWVkWSo/?taken-by=shestipsy

I incorporated a little bird in it because my mare’s name is Wren.[/QUOTE]

Haven’t read past your post yet, this is some stunning colour work. I love how feminine and watercolour it looks! So beautiful!

[QUOTE=Daisyesq;8199963]
Genocide of many millions.[/QUOTE]

oh, absolutely millions… still don’t see how a BLM symbol translates to the Holocaust.

[QUOTE=arapaloosa_lady;8200443]
No… I’m going to bet you were born long after WWII? So, you think of WWII as just another part of history. There are other people who lived through the war, who have family members tattooed by Nazis, and who find the idea of tattooing yourself in a similar way appalling.

Of course, that’s just me. There are plenty of ways to commemorate a horse that don’t involve a string of tattooed numbers (or symbols that look very similar).

IF it were me in the OP’s sitaution, I’d consider getting a portrait done in watercolor-style. Your horse is beautiful, and the way she moves is perfect for a talented tattoo artist to capture. I love tattoos that are art - something nice enough that you’d want the picture hanging on your living room wall.[/QUOTE]

It’s nice that you can make so many quick assumptions about my family history – considering my family fled Germany, it is not just “another part of history”, it is part of our history as well. Regardless of my ancestry, here’s the thing – Bluey has a history of saying things on the board that really elicit some headscratching from other posters - this is one of them.

How in the world that posters can get up in arms about a BLM’s symbol tattoo possibly correlating to the Holocaust is really beyond me.

I think making the leap from a matching BLM tattoo on a person to a Holocaust brand is a bit excessive.

On topic:

I think a pretty portrait of the mare that includes the BLM tattoo would be nice. Since you’re aiming for a large tattoo.

I’m in the age cohort and my best friends parents didn’t manage to flee Poland. Or her Aunt and Uncle. They were teenagers and put into the work camps, and had the tattoos.

I can understand where Bluey is coming from.

But, a mustang’s freezebrand is sort of a celebration of a unique heritage where a tattoo’ed serial number was not, not at all.
I think if care is exercised it can be really pretty and a nice memorial.

[QUOTE=beowulf;8200498]
It’s nice that you can make so many quick assumptions about my family history – considering my family fled Germany, it is not just “another part of history”, it is part of our history as well. Regardless of my ancestry, here’s the thing – Bluey has a history of saying things on the board that really elicit some headscratching from other posters - this is one of them.

How in the world that posters can get up in arms about a BLM’s symbol tattoo possibly correlating to the Holocaust is really beyond me.[/QUOTE]

You do realize that is a two way street, don’t you?
There is plenty that others post that leave ME scratching my head also.

That is because of cultural, different frames of references in some we have around us like, being a human, wanting to be branded.

I know now that is not questionable here, many don’t have the same ideation of what that can mean, so think that is fine and, for them, it is.

I expect the OP will have enough to go by, to find her own expression of love for her wonderful mare in the form of a tattoo that fits HER, once she thinks about all that has been proposed, ideas presented in answer to her questions.

OP:

I can’t find a picture of what I’m imagining, so bear with me. I’m thinking a large, torso-covering line drawing. Your mare could either be rearing, or jumping, something “up”. the tail or hind feet could start…on the front of your hip? Or the side of your hip? And then her body could cover your side, and wrap around to your back as its’ going up towards your shoulder. Does that make sense? I personally prefer the wispy, delicate lines as opposed to very realistic portraits (even though that art is amazing!). I think it would also incorporate her heritage as it would appear kind of “wild”…you could have the artist show the movement in her mane and tail. And also draw it from the side (left?) of her that shows her brand on her neck.

Now I want this tattoo. :lol:

Kels-Love the tattoo.

OP-Go for it just make sure the tattoo artist can draw animals and do color well. I have tattoos and two are horse related. Not only do I have a job, I actually teach our youth:) and I don’t cover my tattoos (most of the time I forget that they are there).

Staying on topic with OP’s idea of the freeze brand, which uses the angle method and is not “recognizable as numbers” or whatever was said :rolleyes:.

How about along your rib cage? My first thought was along the outside of your forearm or tricep, or even down the calf, just because of what it was, but rib cage is easily hidden. Hurts like a you-know-what though. Is this your first tattoo?

However, there are definitely other ways to either add to or substitute something “horsey” to make it less stark. I have several tattoos (speaking of, feet are easy to hide, both of mine are done), and I recently got this one. I wanted something pretty and swirly, but also something horsey… So my artist designed this and then we stuck some horse shoes in there, hidden, because Rory just finished touch wood a bout of ripping shoes off every two weeks or so and even though I’ve walked the whole field, I’ve never found a shoe or any of the shredded bell boots. So it has meaning to me, because I see his missing shoes :).

My thought, have you heard of zentangle? Google it. You could make each of the symbols large enough to design the insides with various shapes, swirls, flowers, shoes, apples, bits…

Re: zentangle. :eek: Goodbye, the rest of my day! If you need me, I will be google-image surfing.

Awesome right?!?!? :yes: :winkgrin: I love it.

I’ve been sitting on a similar idea for awhile.

My original plan was to get a french link bit on my left rib area with his Jockey Club numbers tattooed on the bit. I originally just wanted the numbers, but as a poli sci journalist it felt a bit too close to home for many. I thought by incorporating it into the bit it might help remove it from that idea a little bit.

That being said, OP, I have five tattoos. One on my spine, between my shoulder blades, ribs, wrist, and foot. I work in a pretty conservative environment so covering it up was a consideration of mine as well. My spine tattoo and rib tattoo are the easiest to cover. The one between my shoulder blades is only visible in a tank top. Wrist and foot are both fairly visible, but small, so no concern there really.

Good luck with memorializing your very special mare.

Make sure you research the artist books, look at their edges, look for even depth, proportions etc. Many artist have specialties, and spend the money to go with someone good. I’ve seen so many badly done horse tattoo’s its ridiculous.

My husband has a significant amount of his body done, and he uses different people for the different work he want’s done. One guy specializes in portraits, another in lettering etc.

Pictures when you are done!

Funny sidenote…I was also considering a bit tattoo, but when I showed two different non-horsey friends, they both thought it was handcuffs:no: :lol: No more bit tattoo for me!

Kels, your tattoo is just beautiful. I am in awe of that!

OP - enabler here, though I don’t have a tattoo. I think the idea is great. My only comment is that I’m not sure I’d do a full black horse; have some artistic person figure out how to “imply” a black colored horse. With something like this the brand could be on the neck
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-137897909/stock-vector-vector-image-of-an-horse.html?src=z28KrOVGjoCQBMnoOExQZg-1-38

or this: http://www.shutterstock.com/s/mustang/search-vectors.html?page=1&inline=154765991

[QUOTE=2tempe;8201767]
OP - enabler here, though I don’t have a tattoo. I think the idea is great. My only comment is that I’m not sure I’d do a full black horse; have some artistic person figure out how to “imply” a black colored horse. With something like this the brand could be on the neck
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-137897909/stock-vector-vector-image-of-an-horse.html?src=z28KrOVGjoCQBMnoOExQZg-1-38

or this: http://www.shutterstock.com/s/mustang/search-vectors.html?page=1&inline=154765991[/QUOTE]

Those are pretty.

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-229405453/stock-vector-vector-images-of-horse-design-on-white-background.html?src=pp-same_artist-137897909-4&ws=1

This one would also have a place there for her BLM brand to be applied right where it was, since her brand is important to you.
I would ask the tattooer to make the face a little more friendly.
This one seems to be frowning.

Just a caution here on the placement ideas, if you plan on having kids anytime in the future be aware that any skin you tattoo might have to stretch during your pregnancy. The artist who did my tattoo (on the inside of my right ankle) strongly advised my young niece against getting a tattoo on her hip region for that reason. Also from what I have been told the ribs are probably one of the most painful areas to tattoo, so keep that in mind.
That being said, I chose a seahorse for many reasons (for my Dad, the ocean, horses & my niece). Everyone is correct, choosing your artist is probably the most important part. The good ones will work with you to put together a custom design.

[QUOTE=talkofthetown;8201726]
Funny sidenote…I was also considering a bit tattoo, but when I showed two different non-horsey friends, they both thought it was handcuffs:no: :lol: No more bit tattoo for me![/QUOTE]

…why didn’t I ever think of that. Eff. Back to the drawing board!

It would work if some sort of leather was attached to the bit… like if it was a bit/leather bracelet tattoo…