Michael Barisone/Lauren Kanarek Civil Suit

Your points just go to the whole notion that this argument seems completely dumb, destined to fail, and like it was the brainchild of someone who doesn’t have a law degree.

7 Likes

I think it could be the attorney writing, or not. What stand out to me is that the motion isn’t citing to any authority that supports this position, just sorry of that these questions were “asked and answered” so shouldn’t be allowed is just an opinion, without legal basis.

24 Likes

That’s true, narcissists are gunna narcissist.

Reminds me of people who represent themselves at trial like Dellan Millard.
Fools

7 Likes

I’m curious to see some of GAS’ writing when it comes to other cases.

3 Likes

Shhh, she has limitless funds, let him waste her money…

8 Likes

I did this for bankruptcy court (not my bankruptcy) as well. We discussed the legal arguments, I wrote the first draft, and then edited with the lawyer for accuracy of format and argument and then they added any legal citations necessary and polished it up in their own voice.

2 Likes

I don’t take that paragraph as dissing MB’s defense team because Silver also said this in the preceding paragraph.

The transcript of the criminal trial cross-examination of Plaintiff is littered with objections and limitation rulings because the trial court decided there were numerous areas of inquiry that were not relevant in the criminal case. Those same areas of inquiry are wholly relevant in this arena.

IANAL - nor a judge - but It overall seems like a pretty brilliant filing. I guess we will just have wait and see how much of it Weaver agrees with.

9 Likes

I had the opposite reaction.

Stone is hitting the nail on the head. LKs provocation was relevant for the issue of MBs state of mind in the criminal trial - did he react in a sane or insane way?

But aside from its relevance for MBs state of mind (insanity), it is not relevant in the civil case, because no matter what the provocation, he was not justified in shooting her.

2 Likes

You might be able to look up cases he’s on through the NJ courts website.

3 Likes

I am still working my way through today’s filings, but this entry caught my eye on Silver’s filing.

1. A true and accurate copy of a Lexis Nexis Report is annexed hereto as “Exhibit D”.

It sure would be interesting to know what was on that report that warranted it being fully redacted before the court would post it. Must have been some pretty damning evidence. :wink:

19 Likes

How would you possibly know this.

I think Stones arguments are concise and address the central issue — MB cannot excuse his shooting her by saying “she annoyed and provoked me”. It doesn’t excuse his shooting her.

1 Like

Of course you agree with all this.

I think it’s pretty ridiculous, and Lollypop is making her lawyer look like a fool, and she’s going to have to sit her butt down for her deposition and answer loads of questions under oath. Just like anyone else who files a lawsuit.

26 Likes

We’ll have to agree to disagree on this point, my friend.

26 Likes

This whole “I filed a lawsuit, but you can’t ask me about certain things” is weird to me. Relevance is a very broad standard in discovery. And pretty much the only objections to questions in a dep are to form and privilege, the latter being the only basis on which one should instruct a deponent not to answer.

Also, if MB’s counterclaim is without merit, then file a dispositive motion. If it’s true that there are no questions of fact, then it should be a slam dunk. What’s this “due course” business? Just go ahead. But to claim that deposition topics should be limited because MB’s counterclaim is “without legal merit” - but being unwilling to put a signature on a motion to that effect now - is a rather disingenuous approach. It suggests to me that there may be some concern that a deposition will reveal factual questions that would preclude a dispositive motion. In other words, if no (or few) additional facts could possibly be revealed at a deposition as to MB’s counterclaim, and it is “without legal merit,” then why the heck isn’t GAS filing a motion to dismiss that claim rather than spending resources on this motion?

Beyond that, if we let every opposing party decide whether the other party was “thorough” in an examination and declare the examination over, well, that doesn’t really work in our adversarial system. Further, I don’t think there’s a way around the fact that SGF was not a party to the criminal case, so it hasn’t even had its first “bite at the apple.” It isn’t enough that Barisone’s attorneys questioned LK previously; they did not represent SGF’s interests, so SGF really shouldn’t be held to what MB’s attorneys did (or did not) ask previously.

GAS’s reply, such that it is (and it’s not very well drafted), is nothing more than his unsupported opinions, IMO. Not my cup of tea. Who knows what the Court will do, though.

44 Likes

I see no reason to doubt the lawyer is writing the motions.

She’ll answer any questions permitted after the judge rules on the motion by Stone. It’s not about making things less stressful for LK. It’s about heading off the defense of “she provoked me into shooting her”.

2 Likes

Thank you, Einhorn.

3 Likes

, :grinning:

6 Likes

My ESPN helped me to know this :slight_smile: If not for my ESPN… I guess it would be accurate to simply say it’s my strong opinion that the arguments GAS has presented are really LK & JK logic.

MB hasn’t even admitted he shot her. He doesn’t remember the shooting. He isn’t making an argument that is excusing himself for shooting her. Neither is SGF.

SGF is DEFENDING themselves against Lollypop’s claim they were negligent. Lollypop created a total psychodrama at the NJ farm that summer. Intentionally. Because she intended to mentally destroy another human being. That’s on her.

31 Likes

LO posted an update on gofundme.

19 Likes

This line sounds very familiar, like it’s been used before……

3 Likes