Michael/ Lauren civil trial update February 9

I have not said I’m a “fan”, no.

How is any home owner going to get permits for an unlicensed contractor to do the work?

6 Likes

Sometimes we do not have to proclaim our fandom. It is just obvious in what we say and with our actions.

Lucky you, we here on COTH are great at IDing this.

6 Likes

I do not agree with @Eggbutt on her statement that Taylor disregarded the Krol guidelines.

Eggbutt is free to state her own opinions, but she doesn’t get to state mine.

When a medical professional describes your speech, or writing, as “word salad”,it doesn’t really matter what you’re sorry for.

11 Likes

If you read the case law, in the case that was reversed, both the judge and Bilinkas made mistakes- the court in reversing, if my memory is accurate, (??) pointed out that Bilinkas did not raise the issue in the first instance and the judge missed it…But of course at this point I cant even remember the name of the case…to look it up and refresh my memory…

2 Likes

@eggbutt is not stating an opinion, she is stating a fact.

You don’t have to agree @CurrentlyHorseless , but by not agreeing you are simply wrong. Which as I understand from your posting history is something you enjoy being.

Here is a little list for you…so you can know how wrong you are:

Michael didn’t get his initial hearing in 30 days.

Judge Taylor opened the hearing to public despite NJ’s rules.

Judge Taylor ignored the experts’ testimony and ruled based on a footnote from someone who was not there to be cross-examined.

Judge Taylor did NOT set the next hearing 90 days out per NJ rules.

But other than that he was perfect, right?

39 Likes

Why is it that CH can not make a single argument that can not be traced back to an LK original argument?

They have not made one original argument or deduction about this case in the entire time they have been here.

22 Likes

Was the Krol hearing public? Maybe I missed that part.

Yes.

2 Likes

How has he not been fined, removed, sanctioned…whatever it is they do to judges that so blatantly break the laws? I hope MB’s family or someone files charges. I’m sure they have bigger fish to fry, and have to choose their battles.

13 Likes

Since some posters have such a similar posting style, it’s almost as if YD is still right here with us.

38 Likes

OK, that’s what is not clear to me.

In the civil case, I can see that previous convictions on a criminal record could be brought up, but I’d have thought charges or arrests without convictions would be prohibited as prejudicial.

1 Like

There were quite a few arrests weren’t there, for Kanarek and for the boyfriend?

If I remember correctly, that was one of the discoveries that, along with the Suboxone use, quite understandably upset and frightened Mr. Barisone.

27 Likes

Agree - how does Taylor get away with this?

12 Likes

And her dad! And her mom!

Now I wonder if the sisters also had arrest records.

14 Likes

Underage drinking for one, but nothing major.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I remember. Judge Taylor incorrectly instructed the jury that the defendant had a duty to retreat before shooting in self defense, and Bilinkas as the defense lawyer could have challenged the judges jury instructions at the time, but didn’t. His client was convicted of murder.

A public defender then filed an appeal on the grounds that Taylor was incorrect in instructing the jury that the defendant had a duty to retreat, and the conviction was overturned. The defendant then accepted a plea deal rather than go through a second trial.

My point was to disagree with @eggbutt characterization of the appeal as Bilinkas “whooping” Taylor. Bilinkas screwed up and a different lawyer, a public defender, got the conviction overturned.

1 Like

@Inigo-montoya @Seeker1

Enjoying the vacay to Florida? Or is it a working trip? Predictable.

17 Likes

HA…I’m sure most of us did that, but didn’t get caught LOL

6 Likes