Michael/ Lauren civil trial update February 9

Personal injury attorneys are often called ambulance chasers. Some only do this type of case, like dog bites, accidents, med malpractice, fights etc. But others practice more diversified law. The defendants can be people or insurance companies or corporations.

Delays are very common in courts. A given really. Judges only care when they are worried about their stats. But civil cases routinely last for YEARS.

Attorneys change when payment is an issue or if one party tires of the other. If an attorney doesn’t feel a case worth it, they’ll give the client a choice. This happened to me. My dad was part of a class action filed around 1993 about a local landfill causing cancer. My dad ended up with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia so he filed. He never had to take meds, it never got bad. But he retired just as I was starting my career. Had he stayed I might have had a little nepotism in my corner as he was a big boss. But he retired.

I notified the attorneys of his passing in January 2020. Later that year, after 30 years the case went to settle. I had done an impact statement but all I could say was that his early retirement didn’t help my career.

When settlement time came the attorney contacted me that they wouldn’t continue as attorney of record. I was free to get a new attorney but as his CLL didn’t cause his death or affect him other than freaking us out we got dumped after 30 years.

And that was that.

So these things can happen.

Sometimes attorneys retire. Or downsize. Or just don’t like you.

6 Likes

This happens. It doesn’t necessarily mean anything nefarious. A client can replace a lawyer at any time. A lawyer generally needs court permission to withdraw UNLESS another lawyer is immediately taking over, which is what happened here. We can’t tell what the instigating factor was here or whose side it originated on, but there is nothing shocking about a lawyer getting replaced years into litigation. It happens. The new lawyer may need a brief continuance to get up to speed but at some point the court will move the case forward even if counsel has been replaced. I don’t read anything in particular into this development except that someone (either lawyer or client or both) decided to end this representation.

8 Likes

Too bad for Nagel that it didn’t happen a bit sooner, before he made a fool of himself on national television. Twice.

15 Likes

There’s always a tweet/post with these people. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Omg. Super first impression. :woman_facepalming:

5 Likes

Maybe Nagel would like to do a film about the injustice that mental health patients face at institutions like Greystone. :grin:

13 Likes

That aged well.

7 Likes

Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker is probably not on the screening list…

Most of that movie version was painful. Hugh Jackman destroyed my favorite song.

What? I thought that IM never lied/embellished/was always accurate and truthful… /s

14 Likes

Well of course he should suspect it since daddy probably hired him! Does LK do anything for herself? Maybe Rob/Guy surreptitiously recorded the meeting if there was one.

3 Likes

I am sorry for your loss.

I have CLL and am part of the Roundup class action suit. I am being treated and I suspect if we “win” the lawyers and my insurance will get most of any settlement granted to me. The list cost of my routine meds is $35,000 A month

5 Likes

That money should go to you. I don’t believe insurance is involved unless they are the plaintiff. Normally personal injury attorneys get 30%.

I am very sorry you have that condition! Sucks.

4 Likes

They expect to be reimburse d for their expenses.

It’s been an experience for sure

2 Likes

Indeed it is.

2 Likes

This has the potential to be a full-blown flounce.

5 Likes

You meant hooves, right? This is a horse forum after all.

5 Likes

IDK…ask CurrentlyHorseless. Isn’t she the one who believes he is honest as the day is long and hangs on his every word?

But wait, maybe she still doesn’t accept that IM is really JK!

8 Likes

https://www.thenalfa.org/blog/novel-ruling-law-firm-awarded-10m-in-fees-after-withdrawing-in-nj/

If I read this correctly, Nagel represented Stone’s firm in this case.

2 Likes

So there is some relationship between the firms there?

4 Likes

I think so. Maybe this is common within the legal community for civil cases.

2 Likes

I do believe you’re attempting to give yourself a facade of something. Humility isn’t it, though.

14 Likes