Michael/ Lauren civil trial update February 9

had that dinner for years growing up, as my grandmother came from Pa Dutch country. Yum! She also made a mean shoo fly pie.

2 Likes

My Mom was the best cook. Unfortunately, not much was written down. She wished I had followed in her footsteps on being a girly girl. Sorry Mom, tomboy I was.

Get sauerkraut, canned will do. I usually use 2 cans. Rinse thoroughly twice. Let drain. Put that in a deep pot on the stove. Add to that a medium sliced onion, I use a white onion, 1 Granny Smith apple, 3 bay leaves, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and water just to cover the kraut… Add in some pork from your roast. Bring to a low boil, then let simmer. I will test taste throughout the process and add what I think is needed. Usually more garlic powder. Don’t panic, the apple will usually break down. You don’t want it too tart, hence the rinsing before anything else. If the water evaporates too much you can add more, not much. But then do another taste test and add seasoning to taste.

If I can get it like Mom’s it is So delicious!

7 Likes

Yep, that’s me too.

Add in the black eyed peas and greens for good luck with money. I believe black eyed peas for coins and greens for cash.

2 Likes

@Maria, I live in the South now and everyone here is getting their black eyed peas and greens ready. They think our pork and sauerkraut is gross!

2 Likes

Are you referring to the AW that was in an earlier post? I actually thought it was Andrea Woodard, who worked under Ulf Moller but seems to be on her own now.

The AW that LK is working with now is a male.

3 Likes

And they do not know what they are talking about!!!

The house smells so warm and inviting while all this is cooking.

Oh, I really don’t like cooked greens, blasphemous I know in the south, so I substitute a nice spinach salad with strawberries, pine nuts, and blueberries with a vinaigrette.

6 Likes

When I was growing up we had Latvian refugees in the apartment upstairs. I swear they lived on cabbage. 60 years later I still cannot stand the smell

2 Likes

Well, that certainly narrows it down. :laughing:

3 Likes

Not me!!!

2 Likes

Even perfectly cooked & seasoned collards? OMG! I could eat good collards 24/7. I have a great recipe if you are interested.

3 Likes

I have no idea what perfectly cooked and seasoned collards taste like honestly. The ones I have tried, bleh. My hubby loves them and would love for me to cook some. I don’t know that I am southern enough. Lol

2 Likes

Yes please!

Born and raised in WA. But my family is from the south. I grew up eating them.

2 Likes

They must be fresh picked is the 1st requirement. Soak them, wash them, pull the stem, tear into pieces. Saute chopped onion (1 medium) in TBLS olive oil, add minced garlic clove, 1 qt chicken stock. Bring to a boil, add crushed pepper to taste. Add the collards and bring back to boil. Lower to a simmer and simmer for an hour or until the texture you prefer. The recipe now calls for the meat of a smoked turkey leg, chopped, but I add thick sliced crispy bacon instead. Heat again, add 2 TBLS white vinegar and I promise you will love them! Zero bitterness.

7 Likes

There are just a very few recipes that I make year after year. This is one of them. It’s not necessarily for New Year’s Day, but wonderful for this time of year.

Winter Vegetable Chili

4 tsp. olive oil
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
2 medium carrots, diced
1 medium onion, diced
3 tbsp. chili powder
1 28-oz. can plum tomatoes
1 4-oz. can chopped mild green chiles
2/3 c. chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 tsp. salt
2 15-oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 c. chopped fresh cilantro

In 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add butternut squash and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden; remove to a plate or bowl.

In same Dutch oven heat 2 more teaspoons olive oil; cook carrots and onion until well browned. Stir in chili powder; cook 1 minute, stirring.

Add tomatoes with their liquid, chiles with their liquid, broth, and salt; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally with spoon to break up tomatoes.

Stir in black beans and butternut squash; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until squash is tender and chili thickens. Stir in cilantro. Serve with sour cream if you like.

5 Likes

So I did some Googling and as I thought kale vs collard greens is just another one of those blue state/ red state distinctions :). I mean they aren’t the same but close enough you could recipe switch.

1 Like

If he loves them HE can cook them. And if they turn out well maybe you will enjoy them. If they don’t maybe he will love them less.

6 Likes

Send directions @Maria! I am heading to your house as your salad sounds yummy!

1 Like

Tuesday the 3rd

4 Likes

The dill pickles sound delicious.

2 Likes