Michael/ Lauren civil trial update February 9

I’ll add in my favorite pie recipe. I’ve made it for years and years and you can swap out the chicken and mushroom for turkey and ham, or whatever you’ve got leftover from Christmas - I put some Brussels sprouts in it on Boxing Day last year. :smirk:

7 Likes

@CindyB59, thank you for posting the Go Fund Me update.

I see that the Kanarek family is still fighting discovery. So very weird for a family that brought the lawsuit.

I wonder, did they really think they could sue someone and not turn over any evidence?

27 Likes

If the judge dismisses LK civil suit, then MB is free to go ahead with his suit against her?

7 Likes

Yes

10 Likes

350 for 45 minutes, then turn the oven off and leave in the cooling oven for 1 hour.

2 Likes

So late to the thread again but we had green beans we needed to use up before they went bad, so for New Year’s Eve we did a simple meal with bison burgers (sans bun), dressed with a slice of high quality swiss cheese and an excellent BBQ sauce. The green beans were sauteed with dried cranberries and chopped walnuts and balsamic vinegar - they looked rather Christmas-y. Dessert was my Tennessee Whisky Chocolate Walnut Pie with a nice dollop of whipped cream.

We have dried Louisiana black-eyed peas a friend gave us at Christmas and were going to do those for New Year’s Day but I can’t eat greens due to being on Warfarin and we couldn’t find a ham hock that was affordable. So we are instead going to make a nice stew with some bison meat we’ve had in the freezer for a few months. That will feed us for several days. We’ll have to figure something else out for the black-eyed peas - they are too tasty to let go to waste. Dessert will be more of the pie I made yesterday.

If anyone has a good bread recipe, let me know. I’m going to try out my new stand mixer today. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

As for the new GFM update - I am not surprised to read that the K’s are still stalling and fighting discovery. I suspect that is part of the reason why LK changed attorneys and wonder how many more she will go through before this thing settles out.

25 Likes

A very good bacon or country ham slice can sub for ham hock, just don’t use honey baked ham - too sweet.

Google “best potato bread recipe” for bread! Yum.

The green beans sound delicious!!!

6 Likes

My Appalachian spouse has fond memories of eating creasy greens. I don’t know if they even exist any more with modern farming techniques.

3 Likes

I’m sure you had smells they didn’t love too. How is their ethnicity and status relevant to “ I smelled a lot of sauerkraut cooking at one point and it turned me off eating it” (which is true for me too - for slightly different reasons)

They were there because they were refugees and my parents who owned the building were giving them a break. It was my early introduction to people needing help.

Maybe you should start the new year without thinking the worst of people

19 Likes

Thanks for posting the update.

Does anyone have links for the various podcasts on the case? I know I listened to a couple, but there are probably more out there.

2 Likes

Oh yes, along the edges of farm plots and on the banks of sunny streams. Heck, even some rural homes have them in their yards! I will admit “you gotta hunt” for them!

3 Likes

That’s good to know. I’ll tell him. His memory is of harvesting them between rows of corn in the field.

I didn’t know you could grow them on purpose. I wonder where you’d get seeds?

ETA: Doing lots of research on creasy greens or upland cress. Fascinating reading. Still haven’t found a reliable source for seeds. And they need to be planted in the fall, harvested winter through spring, like kale and collards.

ETA2: Another source suggests planting in early spring, before the last frost. Hmmm. Guess just treat it like other greens.

2 Likes

When I mentioned them being found in yards of some rural homes, I suspect they were planted naturally by birds, etc. Creasy greens are also known as Upland Cress.

3 Likes

@Davignport, the pickles were really, really good!

I took a dill spear and cut it half length wise and then again across the middle. I then wrapped it with half a slice of Gouda cheese, then wrapped then in a piece of rolled out crescent roll dough. I baked them at 400*, which may have been a little too hot, until the crescent roll dough was golden brown, maybe about 10-12 minutes. I would try it again at 375* or 350*.

I served them with a homemade dipping sauce of equal parts mayonnaise and sour cream. Added a small splash of sriracha, about 1/4 teaspoon of Coleman’s dry mustard and enough Everything Bagel seasoning to taste.

The only warning I have is the pickles got ridiculously hot temperature inside the roll up. Don’t burn yourself!

5 Likes

Yeah! Black-eyed peas for New Year’s!

1 Like

Me too!

1 Like

I’ve never heard of creasy greens! My father talked about eating poke salad when he was a kid. Is that the same thing?

I was going to ask that! I know what poke looks like. Never ate it though.

1 Like