Michael/ Lauren civil trial update February 9

Wasn’t Ali Brock one of the people who testified for Barisone? She’s giving very good lessons at the Dover Horsemastership clinic in Florida. I’m watching the replay now on USEF Network. She’s quite a good clinician.

It’s too bad that LK doesn’t take advantage of the opportunities available to her instead of spending so much time being disagreeable.

23 Likes

I’m watching Allie too. She’s excellent. Can’t wait to watch more.

9 Likes

Did both of these things really happen to LK with the physical damage? If so, how many people posting here knew this? Did coth know this? 48 hours? Brain injuries from a car accident and a stroke from an overdose?

Hut, they are made up examples of what a conservator or guardian are. They are not real life things.

27 Likes

Reading for comprehension isn’t happening today, apparently

36 Likes

For some people it is a common problem.

And then they try to tell us that they know more than everyone else.

29 Likes

If they are not real life things, then why has there been years of speculation of conservatorship or guardianship?

1 Like

There are years of speculation about why Jonathon Kanarek appears to have control of Lauren Kanarek’s funds.

Those made-up examples are simply explaining the difference between the two things.

You are really off base on this one. Promise.

38 Likes

There was the testimony about the opioid addiction from pain from a car wreck and there was a discussion about the car wreck and that she had to drop out of school, live at home, and attend the local school from which she never graduated.

1 Like

Someone must have hit close to home…

28 Likes

Hut, the examples are made up.

Period.

Yes, she is an addict.
Yes, she had a very stupid car accident.
Yes, she stayed at home (until she did whatever it was that she did and she is no longer even allowed in the family home).

Not one of those makes a leap to the made up examples given to explain the difference.

But you are doing a very fine job of showing us just how you get your legal readings just so wrong.

39 Likes

The speculation about LK having a conservatorship was because it’s not normal for parents to pay all the bills, make living arrangements and smooth out any problems for their middle-aged child.

The hypothetical examples are just general discussion of the types of situations that can lead to guardianship or conservatorship.

It’s really not complicated.

32 Likes

The sooner the better. When it comes to transferring real property into a trust there may be a limited amount of $$ value that transfers each year. When we did it that was $30,000 of real estate value per year. This was long ago so this may have changed. An attorney consultation is of extreme importance.

5 Likes

I have an uncle who my grandfather did all those things for. Legal issues, mortgage, cars, other bills, etc. No guardianship or conservatorship, just some undiagnosed mental issues, some leaching, and a parent that couldn’t step away who was a bit of a sucker. Now grandfather is dead it’s likely uncle will end up up a creek without a paddle.

So hypothetically Lauren could just have a parent that does all of those things without either a conservatorship or guardianship. The way Lauren’s father responds in a way that is similar to the way Lauren responds makes me think it’s a symbiotic relation and not one with official legal ties.

7 Likes

Sheesh, I was able to follow the examples, without becoming befuddled and confused. Could Hut-ho really not understand what she’s reading in this basic discussion?

21 Likes

Their ability to not comprehend legal stuff and proclaim their extreme right-ness on it adds to my ability to say that the answer to this question is definitely a big yes.

17 Likes

Thanks to everyone for the info about conservatorships and guardianships.

From what I have seen (and I admit I haven’t done a ton of reading since I posed my previous question) - guardianships usually apply more to minors and gives the guardian control over the person, including every-day decisions, care, etc. Conservatorships apply more to adults and give the conservator control over the person’s finances.

So for conservatorships - do people willingly place themselves under those types of control? Or is it pretty much always something that is forced on them? And since it takes a court order to make it official, is it something a person could/would fight against being put in place? I also assume that it would take a fair amount of “proof” (documentation from health professionals, etc.), to convince a judge that an adult needed that kind of oversight.

Another question - there is a difference between a conservator and a trustee - correct? IOW, it doesn’t take a court order to name a trustee in that a person can set up a trust and name a trustee on their own, without it having to be “ordered” by a judge. In LK’s case - wasn’t there some discussion at some point that she had “come into some money” (inheritance, lottery winning, insurance settlement, etc.)? So in a moment of lucidity, she could very possibly have set up a trust to help protect and preserve those assets to be drawn upon as needed.

A friend did the same when she inherited a good bit of money from a grandparent. She elected to put her share into a trust and draw enough of it each year to pay the mortgage, taxes, insurance, etc., so she didn’t have to work full time (which enabled her to focus on raising her children). One of her siblings OTOH didn’t put his funds in a trust and blew through most of it within a few years (he had an expensive hobby - racing sailboats).

2 Likes

Once, at a hotel in LA, I was with my friend’s little sister getting ready for his college graduation party. She and her friends were teens in high school and were understandably excited about being in LA and getting dressed up, etc.

Suddenly, there was a bang, bang, bang on the hotel room door. Couldn’t really call it a knock, it was so angry and loud. I opened the door to a crazy-eyed Gary Busey, who screamed at me that we needed to shut up because he was “filming a movie”.

I wasn’t in Hollywood yet, but even then I knew that if the “movie” was legit, they would have rented out the entire floor or shot it in a studio. Dude was cray.

Anyways, story time over.

16 Likes

In the case of Jonathan Kanarek, however, just how much legal “proof” do you think he would really need to present in order to get a judge to do something for him? Somehow I doubt our friend JK would be constrained by procedure or law if he wanted a judge to sign something for him.

8 Likes

Re Gary Busey - his portrayal of Commander Krill in Under Seige always struck me as someone who didn’t need to stretch very far as an actor to portray someone who was cray-cray. :crazy_face:

8 Likes