Migraines- Botox Treatment?

I’ve read several posts on here about migraines- which I’ve dealt with for years- but I was wondering if anyone has had the Botox injections to help migraines? I hadn’t seen any posts here about it.

Background since I’m a lurker who just made an account… I’m a 23 year old with headaches almost daily, but completely knocked out by them probably once a week on average. The rest of the time it’s a constant pain in the back of my head that eventually goes to behind my eyes. These get classified as “tension headaches” since they do originate with muscle tension, but I wake up with them in the morning and (try to) go to sleep with them at night. When I’m moving around, riding, etc. I generally feel much better, but I don’t sleep well and it’s really affecting my quality of life waking up in the mornings with headaches. Also, at my age, I worry about the fact that I’m already on 100mg Topamax, take 100mg Imitrex for migraines, Flexiril, Tramadol, Zofran because I puke, etc.

Sorry for the long story. My mom also has migraines and the Botox worked great for her. I have an appointment to get it done next month. Any experiences or stories? Good or bad? Sore afterward? Scary getting 30+ shots in the head and neck? Lol. I am excited for possible relief. Thanks!

I don’t have any words of wisdom to offer you, but am hoping that some others will chime in. Sounds like your pain is way worse that mine, and I hope that the Botox takes care of it for you. Please let me know how it goes - I’d be interested in getting it done if it’s effective.

My mom had Botox for cosmetic reasons years ago and said that it was pretty painful.

Btw I don’t mean for this to be too non-horsey, I am also wondering things like, is my neck going to be super sore right after and am I not gonna want to ride, etc. however, my head constantly hurting has already been a big discouraging thing from riding as much as I want to, so any possible help is exciting.

I tried it, and it didn’t slow down the migraines at all. However, my forehead looked terriffic :smiley:
What has helped a lot is Paroxetene. I take 10mg each morning.

The SSRI? That’s interesting. It seems like migraines can have such different triggers that really different treatments can work for different people. I know that my problems start with muscle tension 90% of the time, but even when I am really careful of my posture, etc. I still have issues. Muscle relaxers work well and help me sleep but aren’t a solution during the day. Maybe that’s why I’m willing to try an injectable neurotoxin to keep those muscles from getting so tight. Haha… And yes, I won’t get forehead wrinkles!

Glad you found something that helps, Sarabeth!

My Neurologist said i can’t get the botox b/c i don’t have more than 20 headache days a month. WTH? I also cannot get disability, even tho can’t keep a job b/c of calling in sick…

Nezzy- I would try seeing another neurologist if nothing is working! Botox is FDA approved for 15 or more headaches per month. Does your neurologist do the Botox regularly? It’s one of mine’s “specialties”, she just does Botox two days per week so knows how well it helps. Maybe try seeing someone else?

there are no good ones around here. i think i have been to all of them. I do not get more than 8 headache days a month, so i don’t apply anyway…

If they had 8 migraines a month, they’d be shooting themselves up with something!

Just in case your neuro hasn’t recommended or you’re interested… Mine always gives a big variety of things to try since different things work for different people. She said to try taking Feverfew (herb) which I just got so can report back… Also Rooibos tea. She referred me to physical therapy so we’ll see how that goes. For my mom, she had also referred to acupuncture.

I’m also right at the border of what they consider having a Chiari malformation but drs don’t seem to think that’s my problem. And I thought it would be the horses causing me to be broken down and crippled early in life!

Check this out;
http://www.10news.com/lifestyle/health/new-fda-approved-magnet-therapy-gives-new-hope-to-migraine-sufferers12312013

Right now Axert is the only one that helps that does not make me feel worse than the migraine symptoms. But my insurance stopped paying for it, and it’s pricey, a while ago i started stockpiling it. So i’m good for a little while yet. Herbals don’t even help me with a regular headache, so they def don’t help.

[QUOTE=Equibrit;7373322]
Check this out;
http://www.10news.com/lifestyle/health/new-fda-approved-magnet-therapy-gives-new-hope-to-migraine-sufferers12312013[/QUOTE]

I haven’t seen that, sounds interesting!

Yeah I’m not expecting the herbal stuff to do anything, but it was like $6 for 100 capsules so I figured I’d pick them up so I could at least say I tried. Lol

Yes Botox for migraines is great! Your insurance should pay for most of it depending on your ins company. Also it looks great!!
Good luck!

I have tried Botox - didn’t help me very much but I know it does help some. But my migraines are just one tiny part of my headaches. What does help them is Relpax - great great drug, knocks them out usually within an hour. Talk to your doctor and see if they have some samples you can try!

I actually work at a doctors office that handles pain management and quite a few of our patient’s are seen for migranes. We do a lot of botox injections and many of our patient swear by them. I second the Relpax as well, definitely a good medication for the break through ones. There are a lot of pills that we prescribe for the migranes but most seem to prefer the Relpax over Fiorcet.

Also, not sure if you’ve tried trigger point injections? If you believe that the migranes stem from muscular pain then those might be worth asking about. Many of the patient’s use a combination of those 3 things and it seems to help.

Yes, anecdotally for me, it works for ocular migraines historically. I haven’t had it in a long time and was in the sun all weekend…squinting…and I had headaches at the same time every day. When I have Botox, I can’t squint well, so no migraine. But these weren’t the ocular ones, just regular ones…

I used to take daily amitryptiline for migraines and Zomig rapimelt when I felt one coming… Initially I was also on a low dose of propanolol (reduce blood pressure and can help tension headaches) but I felt dizzy and weak on it so I stopped.

I’m sure your neurologist has discussed this with you, but for me what did it is getting off hormonal contraceptives. I was able to stop all medications, and my migraines were pretty bad and frequent, coupled with constant headaches.

Just got mine done yesterday. The eyebrows hurt. The rest isn’t bad. Sore neck for about 2 weeks, but can still ride. I had had ptsosis from it and have had trouble holding my head up after one neuro effed up. I was pissEd bc I had weakness and couldn’t hold my head up to pick out hooves or wrap legs. It dissipated in 8 wk…8 long weeks…
But I have gotten Botox every 10 weeks for the past 2 years after being hospitalized once with a second hospital-refusal (yes, I said no) a year ago. I’ve failed all the prophylactic therapies (failure of several categories is part of getting it approved btw). I had daily migraines and now, only a handful a month.
Botox, acupuncture, chiropractic, craniosacral (thanks to all the bad head injuries, this was crucial for me), workin part(vs full time) and as of 6 moths ago, gluten-free are what keep me being able to work and ride. The gluten free thing makes a big difference and I was a total skeptic.
Do it. Btw, it takes 3 cycles of 10-12wk each before you’ll see a change. It took me 4 cycles but that’s because mine were so severe.
In the words of my neurologist, “you’ve certainly built your life around the migraines and have done literally everything to get better.” Yes sirree.

I have had severe daily migraines for over 5 yrs. a few years ago I had Botox. The first time the headaches were less severe but still present. I welcomed the relief for two months. I did them at Fairview clinic, Toronto. The second time I had it I didn’t get relief so I didn’t do it again. It’s been about 3 years since I last tried it and I have decided to give it another go. I too have been on many drugs which haven’t done the trick. Also, tried naturopathy, acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, physical therapy and even a raw vegan diet. It is said that for tension headaches, which is the most common type of headache, Botox doesn’t seem to be much help at all.