Unlimited access >

Miller Klimke Saddles?

Hi all- I just got a Klimke Miller Dressage saddle to try on my mare (here:http://www.trumbullmtn.com/Saddle_%20pages/used_dressage/USED_dressage.htm). Any comments on these saddles?

My mare is a TB, and a 30-31 CM stubben scandica, a 32 CM Duett Largo, and the 45 CM neidersuss symphonie all fit her pretty well. She is a med. wide-ish, and needs very short panels as she has an incredibly short bearing surface. She also has significant scars on her withers, so pommel clearance is a must.

As for me, I am transitioning from hunter-jumper land and and finding it difficult to find a saddle that helps me to open my hip angle and get my leg underneath me. My thighs are very muscular and short, and “Meggy got back,” so to speak. I fit well in the Neidersuss (which is equivalent to a 17.5" or so, I think)- do the Klimke’s run small?

Any experience, advice, etc would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

(I have a thread on the fhotd blog if anyone want to see pics: http://fhotd64476.yuku.com/topic/45035?page=1)

I don’t believe that the Miller Klimke is a very good quality saddle. Also, they haven’t been manufactured for quite some time, so the odds are, that unless it has been reflocked already, the flocking is probably very old and hard.

I also find the rider’s seat surface on the Klimke to be a little hard and unforgiving, and for me at least, the stirrup bars are a bit too far forward.

JMHO

I think it’s the Klimke saddles made after Miller stopped that are not so good quality. I’ve never ridden in a MILLER Klimke, but I’ve seen a couple and they seemed quite nice.

Why not go with the Neidersuss? They are a better-built saddle than the Klimke.

Klimkes in my experience, don’t hold up very well. If I’m looking at the right saddle description (the $800 one?), that’s a medium tree and your mare’s a med/wide? Check the fit carefully.

Neidersuss wides are pretty darn wide. I wish there was some way to standardize what the manufacturer’s actually MEAN when they call their saddles #4/wide/36 CM/etc… The numbers mean very little. A Presige and Duett may both use CM’s as a measurement, but they don’t necessarily “mean” the same thing.

[QUOTE=Eclectic Horseman;4706220]
I don’t believe that the Miller Klimke is a very good quality saddle. Also, they haven’t been manufactured for quite some time, so the odds are, that unless it has been reflocked already, the flocking is probably very old and hard.

I also find the rider’s seat surface on the Klimke to be a little hard and unforgiving, and for me at least, the stirrup bars are a bit too far forward.

JMHO[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply- I got the saddle today and it is quite soft- both the seat and the panels. I am not sure how old it is,but it does not look like it worked very hard thus far.

[QUOTE=quietann;4706239]
I think it’s the Klimke saddles made after Miller stopped that are not so good quality. I’ve never ridden in a MILLER Klimke, but I’ve seen a couple and they seemed quite nice.[/QUOTE]

I think you’re right- Ovation began making them (I think they call them the Klimke II) and I hear that the quality, fit, comfort, etc. went downhill.

[QUOTE=Beasmom;4706246]
Why not go with the Neidersuss? They are a better-built saddle than the Klimke.

Klimkes in my experience, don’t hold up very well. If I’m looking at the right saddle description (the $800 one?), that’s a medium tree and your mare’s a med/wide? Check the fit carefully.

Neidersuss wides are pretty darn wide. I wish there was some way to standardize what the manufacturer’s actually MEAN when they call their saddles #4/wide/36 CM/etc… The numbers mean very little. A Presige and Duett may both use CM’s as a measurement, but they don’t necessarily “mean” the same thing.[/QUOTE]

The Neidersuss tipped me forward pretty bad- since I have a problem with that already, I didn’t think it was such a great fit for me. Plus the flocking was very hard in it. Otherwise I agree- I was impressed with the quality and it was a pretty good fit for my mare.

I was told the Klimke’s ran a bit wide, and my mare is on the medium side of medium wide (does that make any sense at all? LOL). The rep. I emailed with at Trumbull Mtn. has worked with us before and thought it might work, though there is only one way to find out, I suppose.

I share your angst about saddle sizes- it’s like women’s clothing! Why can’t there just be a standard of measurement? Some do Cms, some go M, W, XW, some use numbers…ugh!

I have one of the older Miller Klimke saddles and just love it! Bought it in November/December 2009 because I was looking for the large knee blocks and didn’t have a fortune to spend.
It puts me in the proper position and is very comfortable. Fits my horse nicely too! My trainer has also ridden in it and gave it very high marks. :slight_smile:

I can’t speak for the new ones, but this one is really nicely made - the leather is lovely.

[QUOTE=Tiger Horse;4706364]
I have one of the older Miller Klimke saddles and just love it! Bought it in November/December 2009 because I was looking for the large knee blocks and didn’t have a fortune to spend.
It puts me in the proper position and is very comfortable. Fits my horse nicely too! My trainer has also ridden in it and gave it very high marks. :slight_smile:

I can’t speak for the new ones, but this one is really nicely made - the leather is lovely.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input! This one seems pretty nice, but I am not sure how old it is. Do you have any idea how to read the serial numbers on them?

[QUOTE=Megsabelle;4706372]
Thanks for the input! This one seems pretty nice, but I am not sure how old it is. Do you have any idea how to read the serial numbers on them?[/QUOTE]

No, sorry I don’t. Maybe Trumbull Mountain could help?

Can’t help with the serial numbers but I would like to know too. I have two Miller Klimke saddles. My medium/medium wide fits my very wide Paint very well. I love the saddle and even trail ride in it. It is holding up nicely. I liked it so much I bought a brown one just like it since Riff looks great in brown tack. Yes, I am a shallow tackaholic. :winkgrin:

1 Like

I have one that we use as an “extra” saddle and I love it. Granted, I hate saddles that are too “cushy”, so this might be the difference. It has been reflocked and is one of the “older” models, but it’s held up very, very well. It’s a medium but runs wide. Now whether that’s the saddle itself or years of wear, I don’t know, but my guys are definitely mediums and it requires a little padding underneath for a “perfect” fit.

The Miller Klimke and the Ovation Klimke are the exact same saddle made by the exact same company.

The saddle was actually part of the Collegiate line and was made by Ruiz Diaz in Argentina It was initially called the Klimke and then later on it was re-named the Miller-Klimke.

The saddle was always made by Ruiz Diaz.

When Millers closed the Ruiz Diaz saddles were then sold under the Ovation brand…

They used to be a nice, mid-range saddle, a good starter saddle for getting into dressage because they were rider and horse friendly, in a lower price range.

I have one and love it too. I’ve ridden in Albion, Neidersuss, County (HATED the County), and Wintec while on the dressage team in college. Loved the first two, but they were way out of my price range, even used, when looking for my own saddle. I ended up trying the Klimke and got it on a good deal. it was new in 2009 so I don’t think it would be considered an “older model”.

It’s not too hard, too soft, too deep…just right!

I think the Ovation saddles are kind of an insider secret. I do not really see much advertising but the saddles are really first class…

WOW! Thanks for all of the valuable info. and insight everyone! I am very excited to try it tonight. I know it is not a “top of the line” saddle, but this is my first honest foray into the dressage world, so I don’t think I could justify outspending my means at this point. If it doesn’t work out, well, I guess the hunt continues!

What is important to me is that it fits us both and makes Zoe happy. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Megsabelle;4707665]
What is important to me is that it fits us both and makes Zoe happy. :)[/QUOTE]

That is absolutely right. Saddles are like sneakers…sometimes the most popular brands/models/styles just may not fit you. Go with what fits.

Well, disappointing news- the Klimke was not a good fit for Zoe. :frowning: It was a nice fit for me, though- VERY comfy and the knee rolls were just big enough to help me with my leg position without cramming me in. There was not adequate pommel or gullet clearance, so Zoe was not a happy camper yesterday. Sigh.

A Stubben Scandica is coming out next- I had tried one on her before and not liked it, but we are trying a different tree size, so fingers crossed- AGAIN!

Sorry to hear that. :frowning: Good luck with the Stubben.