Unlimited access >

Monoflaps

I know that many versions of this question have been asked before but they are all quite outdated. I’m about to drop an insane dollar amount on a custom saddle for my hard to fit horse. The monoflap is a full $1000 cheaper. I found it comfortable, I liked it just a tiny bit better than the regular cc. I do jumpers but this year I want to dabble in the adult jumper seat medal classes. We probably won’t be that competitive in it anyway. I don’t really care about ribbons to be real, and I do like 2 rated shows a year and a couple local schooling shows. My trainer thinks I will regret this choice. She pointed out it’s impossible to adjust the girth from the saddle. I think she doesn’t want me to embarrass the family :laughing:. $1000 is so much money, but the saddle is the price of a used car with or without that extra??? Will I be a social outcast in the HJ world? I do suffer from imposter syndrome at horse shows and I don’t want to be in a saddle that makes me stand out super hard. How prevalent are they in the jumper ring? Any thoughts?? Am I just being crazy and who cares?

It’s not only not impossible to adjust the girth for the saddle it’s quite simple . It just takes a little getting used to. However, IME mono flaps don’t need as much adjusting once you’re on, at least mine don’t. In fact, I have never had to adjust mine . YMMV

4 Likes

Ashlee Bond rides in monoflaps you’ll be fine lol

1 Like

I thought that sounded dramatic. Seems like eventers wouldn’t all be happily running around in them if they couldn’t adjust their girths.

6 Likes

Exactly. When I got my first monoflap it took a little getting used to but now I love it. Ive seen a few at some hunter shows only because I notice them. There seem to be more in the jumpers, probably because eventers also go to H/J Shows in the jumpers to practice. But honestly no one cares and no one notices

1 Like

Have you ridden your horse in a monoflap? Some horses do not like the feel of them.

Try one first.

1 Like

I have, one of the demos we tried was the monoflap and he was super happy in it. I don’t think it had anything to do with the monoflap and had everything to do with the tree and panel.

Buy the saddle you and the horse like the best. This sport is way too expensive to spend $$ on something you don’t completely love just to fit in with what’s trending.

4 Likes

I think in 10 plus years of fitting, I had maybe 1 or 2 horses that didn’t care for a monoflap at first if it actually fit. However, I think when we changed the girths, they didn’t care.

In my head, it is more of a people perception issue than an actual issue.

2 Likes

Well, I’m just looking at the monoflap to purely save money….

I really don’t think it makes a difference honestly. Overall fit for horse and rider is much more important than how many flaps you have. If you liked the monoflap and it’s a better deal then go for it. No one will really be able to tell when you’re in the saddle, and no one cares in the jumper ring anyway.

This is just not true and makes me wonder what your trainer is thinking. If anything it’s easier to adjust since you don’t have to lift the flap out of the way. The only downside I noticed when I rode in a monoflap was there was nothing to tuck my quartersheet under in the winter.

5 Likes

Buy what you like it’s your $$$.

Plus with the 1k saved you could get some killer matchy matchy saddle pads and shirts to go with monoflap saddle.

3 Likes

Not to hijack, but who makes the longest monoflap girths? Checking for a large draft cross. There is a monoflap saddle that fits her well but no girths big enough (without a regular buckle being right against her skin–need a girth that will protect her side from the buckle)

Someone I saw on social media was competing with a monoflap but with a fuzzy long girth cover over everything. You really couldn’t tell that it was a monoflap while they were in the saddle!

A fuzzy cover is WAY less than $1k, so maybe use that if you do any medals or Eq, and just use it normally for all your jumper stuff? Sounds like your trainer just doesn’t want to buck tradition (fair, but I wish people would just say it), so maybe a girth cover is a compromise she can live with :joy:

1 Like

What size do you need?

Probably a 42"! Or if I could find a way to cover the buckles of a regular girth…

Editing to replace my misread - Stubben does offer their Equisoft girth in a 42” but you have to call them directly as it’s not standard stock. That’s probably the kind of route you’d have to go to find a true monoflap girth that’s that long (which is to say, not likely to be cheap).

I should ask what type of girth? Straight or curved? Leather, fleece or synthetic?

They don’t have to be expensive. I can order a Thorowgood girth that starts at $40. However, mostly it will not be in stock and will have to be ordered.

I use a dressage girth

A lot of dressage girths only go to 32".