Unlimited access >

More. Kittens. OMG

You all know the saga of the neighbor cats who have been coming over, some taking up residence, some going back and forth; I catch them as I can and get them spayed/neutered, but unfortunately every time I thought Tuffy was becoming tamed enough to catch, she’d get wild again and disappear.

So last night she had four kittens in one of the straw-filled insulated boxes on the porch. A tuxedo, a tabby with white, and two solid brown tabbies. (The tabbies aren’t a surprise. I have NO idea where the tuxedo is from.)

So I’m off in a bit to go to PetCo and get a much bigger crate for her, and hopefully I can get her set up in the barn, where she’ll be safer. I’m just about beside myself, honestly. Affording the ones I already have, and the ones who show up, is hard enough without another group in the mix, and though most of my friends have cats, finding these guys homes will be hard. Add in the fact that until about 2 weeks ago I thought Tuffy was a boy, and I am feeling all kinds of blindsided at the moment. Especially since my vet’s office is setting up appointments a month out, and though my vet’s wife told me they will let me bring them in whenever, the desk staff never seem to get that notice . . .

I need chocolate and a winning lottery ticket, not necessarily in that order.

27 Likes

What about some alcohol? :wink: Big hugs to you. Take things one day at a time and you’ll get through it. Hopefully Tuffy will do most of the work and you won’t have to do much once they’re set up in the barn.

6 Likes

Just ordered the biggest crate PetSmart had in stock in Wichita. Sigh.

So far, at least, she seems to be a good mommy. They’re all four clean, fat, happy, nursing. Photos when I can, of course . . . :wink:

14 Likes

I was thinking that it’s about time for a kitten post. :smiley:

4 Likes

Well, now you’re all set for the next batch. (Ducking). My friend’s Tuffy totally tamed down after she had her litter of 7, and was contained, and hungry. I hope you have the same luck with your Tuffy.

6 Likes

On the bright side at least she had them in a place where you can see them??

No low cost spay/neuter places in your area?

3 Likes

That IS the bright spot.

No - the local HS has a clinic every few months, but spots are really limited. I can afford the spays, but catching them has been the issue.

4 Likes

So YOU jinxed me!

4 Likes

I’m sorry. I can’t imagine how much itr must cost for all yours and your neighbors that you feed… and now this.

Hugs!!!

7 Likes

Oh wtf. Your neighbors are lucky to have you to take care of their pets. I am glad they wound up with you but otoh, enough already, right? Kittens are cute - just not a constant never ending stream of them.
Hugs and a big adult beverage for you.

8 Likes

Any luck yet on those photos? I hope you can rehome all of them when they are old enough.

3 Likes

OP, can you ask your vet if they’ll do a side spay on Tuffy if you can catch her? That’s what the TNR program I volunteered with (many, many years ago) would do when a nursing female was brought in.

2 Likes

Never heard of that, but I will ask.

It’s worth the ask - basically they’ll make the incision on her side/flank rather than on the midline, so that she can still nurse the kittens. Good luck!

2 Likes

Babies having babies, tis the season… Just picked up this mom and babies to foster today. Honestly, she’s the tiniest thing ever.

34 Likes

So cute! How many babies are there? Just two? What sweeties!

1 Like

She sure does look small. Poor girl.

Cute kittens!!! They’re all precious but hopefully Mama can grow up and not have anymore.

I look forward to progress pictures… can’t wait for the fat belly wobbly stage. :joy:

4 Likes

One kitten and a panda :grin:

30 Likes

There are not many certainties in life, but her not having any more kittens is one of them!

9 Likes

Well you have a name already for the one if you want to use it!

2 Likes