Unlimited access >

Morgan peeps— help! Am I crazy? YES I AM 🥰

just be aware Morgan’s often think they should help you do whatever, every one here thinks they are The Director of Every prodution

33 Likes

Another enabler hoping to welcome you to the Morgan Club! I am on my second purebred Morgan. I have not bought babies, but my first was a greenbroke 4 year old, and current guy was a very green 6year old. And I bought him when I was 62! Neither horse was ever “in training” while I owned them, but Igot regular professional help. I ended up with greenies because I was tired of retraining badly trained horses. And Morgans because I loved their minds.

For many years there was a Morgan breeding farm “Whippoorwill Morgans” in the next town. They specialized in family-friendly (especially before Sport Morgans became a thing!). Many folks around here were able to bring along young horses from there with help but not in a full training program as the horses had calm minds for their age!.

Some Morgans can be quite “spicy” so evaluate his temperament as best to can (and his dam if possible) and consider what personality types you like to work with. And yes to testing for PSSM1.

8 Likes

I entered my contract for Maybe Baby 2024 (mare checked in foal so less of a Maybe now) shortly after I lost Rory. Baby horses are amazing for helping heal :slight_smile: Also some of my best horses have been shorties, I’m 5’4’’ and chubbeh and ride a 13.1 pony, so three inches taller on a 6 inch taller horse should be fine :grin:

8 Likes

It’s what we here do :sunglasses:
& No, I don’t think you’re nuts.
Or at least not any nutsier than the rest of us :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Have fun with your baby :grin:

7 Likes

many of the Morgan breeders are really thoughtful, when we lost our young Morgan at three the breeder offered my daughter her choice of the next spring’s foals (subject some limitations allowing the breeder first choice for retaining stock for their herd)

The “desired” mare’s foal was the last to foal. The foal was a near replica of the lost one and is his half brother (same dam)

Several other breeders upon learning of loss of the three year old offered well bred replacements at no cost, a few ever offered cover shipping from back east to Texas

8 Likes

I remember reading about your daughter’s loss and subsequent new baby. My Maybe Baby will be a half-sib to my current 3 yo so I’m hopeful it’s just as nice (I’m also really hoping for another filly).

3 Likes

I hope your heart heals quickly @fargaloo1

I worked with morgans that drove FEI CDE’s. (We went to the worlds pairs a decade ago) I routinely road them to keep training and working fun. I am 5’8 and built like a german milkmaid. I am 175+lbs and a size 10. So lots of muscle.

One of our main morgans was a pony he was 14.1 hands even though he competed against and with horses. The other two in the pair were 15+ hands.

DO IT!! get the morgan and teach him to drive as well. George Bowman says, “you can only ride for so long, but you can drive until the day you die”.

5 Likes

That post was on Denny’s Tamarack Hill Farm Facebook page in case anybody would like to read it.

My Morgan mare is 14.2 and takes up the leg of a gal who is 5’11" no problem (not me, I’m 5’1"). Wiiiide barrel on my girl. When I got her she was just halter broken. She is not bomb-proof but she is reliable, willing, and a very quick study, traits most Morgans have.

1 Like

I am so sorry for your losses :frowning:

On the Morgan baby- yes! Totally go for it. I have had Morgans for the last 30 years and they are amazing horses. My 14.1 hand mare who I had for 27 years carried me all over the place at 5’5" and up to 220 lbs with zero issues. I honestly cannot say enough good things about the breed.
They do tend to be easy keepers and can be prone to Cushings. Other than that all of mine have been tough as nails

4 Likes

completely off direction of topic But the full sibling of daughter’s yearling is a very, very beautiful filly who has some big shoes to follow as her brothers both were pinned as Morgan sport horse world champions. Her owner will be campaigning her

photo credit Sue Motter

15 Likes

when we were looking at getting “a” horse for our kids we had narrowed the breeds down to Connemara or Morgan. Either are good family horses, either is highly versatile. Biggest fault is the amount of tack they can use as they are game for whatever you want to do

Our kids used their horses in multiple disciplines using the same horse whereas their school friends bought horses specific to the use, when tired of doing that it was time for new horse, we just bought more tack.

7 Likes

My Morgan mare is often mistaken for a Connemara because of her build & color. We take it as a compliment; I love the Connemaras too!

26 Likes

Not crazy at all. I’ve been with Morgans since 1979; we bred the Old Type Morgan. I have 3 now still but none are my breeding. The Mare is 15.2 hands, the middle gelding is 14.1 hands, and then there is Mr. at 13.3 hands. I am 5’7" and fit all of them very well. My Lippitt stallion was 14.1 hands and was a hoot to ride.
PSSM is found in the breed but in very small numbers. So far, most cases are from one stallion. U C Davis can test for a very reasonable fee.
So sorry to hear of the loss of your two horses. That is a hard thing.

6 Likes

Sadly the mare I posted above is one of those with PSSM1. She has Amberfields Desperado as her grand sire. She is asymptomatic and I only tested because of all the cases that were emerging linked to his pedigree. Was quite surprised to get a positive result. She’s listed in the Morgan Health Database and won’t be bred. I applaud all the breeders who are testing breeding stock and listing status of foals for sale. I hope we see that continue. Next time I buy I will be including testing in my PPE if it isn’t already available.

9 Likes

Oh heck! If I can get a yearling QH, you should get the 2 yo Morgan. Go for it! Life is short and you only go around once!

8 Likes

Buy the Morgan if you like him! I bought a 2 year old Morgan filly 3 years ago and I smile everyday! I’ve only had TBs and WBs until I decided to quit showing hunters to do CDEs. She never says no and has a great work ethic, which is a Morgan trait.

20 Likes

My human had a Morgan.
The mare was old government breeding.
15 H and was a little SUV.
She lived until 32.
English, H/J. Western, tried some driving but never hitched, trail riding and paperchases.
Mare knew when it was a show and would make faces at all the other horses at the in gate as if to say, “you wanna rock, let’s do it”.

Shows and ribbons galore.

My human misses her still and would take another in a heartbeat.

Get the Morgan, you won’t regret it.

Sincerely an old retired OTTB who is just a horse of course.

15 Likes

I’ve never even met a Morgan, but this thread is making ME want one! :joy:

12 Likes

They’re WONDERFUL!

4 Likes