Unlimited access >

Most Popular US Dressage Breeds List- Hanoverians #1

This site has list of horse breeds ranked by most dressage show entries :smiley:
http://www.dressagedetective.com/breeds/first-level-dressage-breed-list/

LOL!!! So, my purpose bred for dressage horse ranks 33rd (Appaloosa)ā€¦and 87th (Appaloosa cross). Heā€™s ahead of both Knabstruppers and Friesian crosses, not to mention Selle Francais (? guess theyā€™re considered more jumpers?), but Iā€™m sure thatā€™s only because of the comparative rarity of those breeds in the US versus TBs, QH and Appies. Too funny.

This is at lower levels. I know that as you get higher, the WBs are even more dominant, but WTHā€¦if youā€™re talking numbers, 2nd level and below tend to have the heaviest number of entries. Whatever. Iā€™m happy with my horse. Besides, technically, he IS a WB, just not a European WB. ;0)

Hanoverians, Oldenburg, Dutch = registry not breed :slight_smile: I am a breeder and use the Oldenburg registry even though some of my foals could be registered Hanoverians. I like to think of my Oldenburgs as purpose bred ā€™ muttsā€™:slight_smile:

Besides, a good horse is where you find it. If you are riding and enjoying the horse you are competing on, regardless of registry or breed, thatā€™s the most important thing.

And Pinto is a color; not a breed.

Mine ranked 19th Haha

while colors and registries are not breeds per se, that is how USDF collects and ultimately reports show results:
http://www.usdf.org/calendar/results.asp?RCYear=2014&CompetitionPass=1C14391A3F322345552718322128241533&KeyPass=RC/M/P/EQ/F/Q/J/AA/DM

The info still gives perspective overall

[QUOTE=Ticker;7510652]
Hanoverians, Oldenburg, Dutch = registry not breed :slight_smile: I am a breeder and use the Oldenburg registry even though some of my foals could be registered Hanoverians. I like to think of my Oldenburgs as purpose bred ā€™ muttsā€™:slight_smile:

Besides, a good horse is where you find it. If you are riding and enjoying the horse you are competing on, regardless of registry or breed, thatā€™s the most important thing.[/QUOTE]

Same as Tickerā€™s examples, it is a registry.

Popularity in number of entries is going to be partially related to number available within the discipline. I am actually surprised there werenā€™t more TBs there because I feel like the economy has more and more people going inexpensive OTT rather than buying expensive purpose-bred.

Iā€™m quite surprised Morgan ranked 11. Most Morgans I know are doing non-dressage stuff.

Wouldnā€™t #15 Andalusian and #23 Pura Raza Espanola be combined since they are the same horse / breed if so the # of entries combined is 679 ranks them 11th then. Thatā€™s for the 1st level list that came up itā€™s even higher on the training level list.
My own mount SF is 40th wish they participated in all breeds awards Iā€™d of placed. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Gloria;7510740]
Iā€™m quite surprised Morgan ranked 11. Most Morgans I know are doing non-dressage stuff.[/QUOTE]

I saw that too. Yay!

[QUOTE=ewells;7510790]
Wouldnā€™t #15 Andalusian and #23 Pura Raza Espanola be combined since they are the same horse / breed if so the # of entries combined is 679 ranks them 11th then. [/QUOTE]

Wait. You want to knock Morgan off their pedestal?.. Ok, 11th, but stillā€¦ No no no. That ainā€™t going to fly.

[QUOTE=Sandy M;7510544]
LOL!!! So, my purpose bred for dressage horse ranks 33rd (Appaloosa)ā€¦and 87th (Appaloosa cross). [/QUOTE]

But if you go with Arabian cross, you zoom up to 8th. :lol:

My breed of choice ā€¦ drumroll, please ā€¦ 4th! And 3rd at TL!!!

Good god. Who cares what breeds are doing Training and First Level? Just ride your damned horse.

I donā€™t see Donkeyā€™s on the list? There was a video circulating on FB recently of a Donkey doing Dressage including the Piaffe! :smiley:

But there is mule, rank #75 even! Is ā€œmuleā€ a ā€œbreedā€?

Oh wow. I must have missed that. Ha ha. I wonder if I can teach my dachshund Dressage? Challenge accepted!

[QUOTE=mp;7510874]
But if you go with Arabian cross, you zoom up to 8th. :lol:

My breed of choice ā€¦ drumroll, please ā€¦ 4th! And 3rd at TL!!!

Good god. Who cares what breeds are doing Training and First Level? Just ride your damned horse.[/QUOTE]

Ah, you are so right!! I am so much an ā€œAppaloosaā€ person that I didnā€™t even look at the Arabian ranking. My BAD!! And ditto the ā€œwho cares,ā€ though we are going to attempt the leap to 2nd level at our next show.

Just to be a nitpicking hag, are those numbers entries or horses? If I take my Arab to a show and enter 3 classes, did I get counted once (horse) or 3 times (entries)? I suspect 3. That makes this survey interesting but I think it just gives you a gross overall picture.

Sorry, I am weakly interested in statistics. Iā€™m sure weā€™ve got some serious number crunchers on here who could work this survey over some more. :smiley:

[QUOTE=Gloria;7510740]
Iā€™m quite surprised Morgan ranked 11. Most Morgans I know are doing non-dressage stuff.[/QUOTE]

True enough, but they can have a very Baroque quality to them, and are just wicked fun. I see a lot of them at the lower levels in New England and some do go higherā€¦

(Says the person whose Morgan blew the socks off some pretty knowledgeable people who were around during my lesson today :slight_smile: Itā€™s very hard to get us coordinated, but when we do, sheā€™s a very, very fancy thing.)

[QUOTE=ewells;7510790]
Wouldnā€™t #15 Andalusian and #23 Pura Raza Espanola be combined since they are the same horse / breed if so the # of entries combined is 679 ranks them 11th then. Thatā€™s for the 1st level list that came up itā€™s even higher on the training level list.
My own mount SF is 40th wish they participated in all breeds awards Iā€™d of placed. :)[/QUOTE]

They have Irish Sport Horse at #30, Irish Draught at #46 Irish Draught Cross at #100 and Irish Sport Horse at 145. Some of those should probably be lumped together. I have to wonder how the paso did though

Percherons, Clydesdales and Belgian Drafts are on the list and so is the word ā€˜Draftā€™ā€¦so are those drafts of other breeds?? Or does it include those?? Thereā€™s also different pony breeds, sportpony then the word pony.
This is a weird listā€¦ LOL

What Iā€™ve got is all over the place! haha