Mounting block issues and torn ACLs

I’m looking for some advice.

I’ve been a little timid of the mounting process since coming off via a rolling saddle many, many years ago. It’s gotten worse since I’ve torn not one, but both ACLs in under 5 years in non-horse related activities. One was repaired - one was not. They are both about equal in unreliability when it comes to funky off balance movements. Example… uneven ground or an unexpected shift in weight (via a wiggly block) can cause the knee joint to shift in a rather painful and sometimes scary direction.

I can get on just fine in the arena as long as the horse is still and the block is solid (not wiggly). It’s when we (my tried and true, stand by the block and wait horse and myself) use the 3-step block for trail rides or simple outside mounts that I nearly have panic attacks getting my leg over. Yes, I force myself to get up there. Sometimes it can take upwards of 15-20 minutes. This sometimes frustrates my horse and ALWAYS frustrates me. Yes, I practice, practice, practice getting on from the block both outside and at a lower level in the arena. However, I can’t seem to pull myself past it and my knees often remind me of my limitations as I can no longer mount from the ground.

Like I said, the mounting issue has been going on for years, but the anxiety has increased over the past 5 years. I’m fine once I’m on. Has anyone else experienced similar? If so, how did you work past it? I’m not willing to give up trail riding where taller, pre-built platforms are not available and absolutely refuse to be tied into arena riding… both my horse and I loathe boring arena work.

All advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

I carry a tall mounting block with me unless I know the trailhead has a picnic table or other talll mounting surface. For a long time, I opened the trailer escape door and shoved my horse’s head into the treat filled hay bag while I mounted from my mounting block. Now, my boy stands very still next to picnic tables, walls, and other mounting “blocks.”

Have you considered one of these step stools that fold flat and have a handle above the steps to help steady you?
I have a two step one that fits most any horse you want to mount.
Mine is about 20" to the last step and 36" to the handle, the step about like a 3 step mounting block height:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Building…s/N-5yc1vZarja

For most people and horses, mounting blocks are way safer.
If a horse has a silly moment and bumps around the mounting block, it will bang around, but that’s all.
With any kind of ladder with open places for that horse to stick a leg in there, that will produce a worse wreck until the horse can get disengaged from that.

BUT, for a super gentle, quiet horse and a rider that otherwise is struggling and being very careful not to try to mount where a horse may spook, maybe is an acceptable risk?
It is also an easier mounting aid to carry around than those bulky, but generally safer mounting blocks.

Give it a try, see if that could possibly be a safe enough solution for your special situation.
If your horse is very tall, may even consider a three step, but it would not be as steady as a two step.

I currently carry a sturdy 3-step in my trailer for those areas where there is no other way to mount. It’s crazy, but mounting from the block is what is killing me. Again, my horse has NEVER taken off with me when mounting and stands like a trooper despite my quirks. He’s not too tall, my knees are crap and my legs are too short. :frowning:

I’m hoping for help and was wondering what others did to move past the illogical apprehension of mounting.

I was thinking, using other than what you are using that worries you could help.

Have you consider some therapy for those fears?
Therapists are trained to help with ways to work around those kinds of problems.
Your doctor can tell you who may be right for you.

Are you going to get your knees fixed? I tore my ACL and tried for 6 months without getting it fixed, and that pain when he clunks out and back again is awful. Always having to guard it when you turn or step anywhere was difficult. I know the rehab is long but that wariness wears off once you have confidence in your leg again.
Other than that, I’d suggest a taller mounting block so it’s really easy to step on your horse?

i find the longer i stand (or sit) and plan my dismount/mounting the harder it is. Over the years I have learned to just march in and get on. do all the adjusting before walking into the arena, go straight to the block and drop my irons, climb on. If im having a rather apprehensive day then my trainer will walk in with me and hold the horses head while I mount. getting off is the same way but in reverse. the only thing is that I usually dont use the mounting block to get off, just slide down the side but that depends on how much my body hates me on that particular day.

Flight - I had one ACL replaced. After the horrible pain, less than stellar PT, still shifty joint, and other patients having similar complaints with the surgeon and doctor, I refused to have the first re-done or second done. Oddly, the still torn one works better than the replaced one. I trust that one… the other one I’ve had more issues than not and it pops in and out when I step funky - stones are the worst. I actually went down a few times simply stepping on a pebble. eye roll It’s embarrassing and kinda funny at the same time.

I should probably add that I was about 37 when I tore the first one and was told that I had far more arthritis in my joints than is typical for my age at the time. They “ground down” the build up and fixed the meniscus while in there. This, however, is not a problem unless I ride for over 4 hours… I get stiff from not moving and tend to kick my feet out of the stirrups and stretch.

I’ve been looking into a 4-step block to replace my 3-step, but holy cow are they expensive! My other option is to put the block in the trailer and mount from the back of the trailer to make it a tad higher. Not very practical though… unless I want to leave the trailer wide open while I’m down trail.

Have you attempted to strengthen the leg? I’ve been trying to focus om my weight (not a skinny mini any more) and my leg strength. I’m wondering if maybe a particular exercise would help facilitate faster results.

What you want is a set of marine steps. This is an example: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--polyethylene-dock-steps--P005_157_002_006?recordNum=5
They are taller than mounting blocks, reasonably light weight, and stay put. They don’t move around like a mounting block does. I scored one free through Nextdoor a few months ago. Don’t know if you are near the water, but if yes… you might check Craigslist

I had mine surgically fixed, and it’s really strong now. Did 3 months solid with a really good physio so lots of strengthening work. I worked up to lots of squats, lunges for the quads and on one of those reformer things - that muscle on the inside of the knee. My hamstring where the graft came from can be a bit weak at times still.
I use the bullbar of my car to get on at shows. I use the horse to help me get onto the bullbar and then climb on. They are very used to it now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Flight has the answer. Your horse… teach him to stand next to “stuff” I’ve used, garbage cans, tailgates, gate posts, signs posts, stumps, rocks, had him straddle fallen trees, stand in a hole and other silly stuff.

I’m not sure which is your better knee, but have you tried mounting from the other side? You may feel more confident if you are doing most of the weight-bearing and balancing in the mounting process with the more stable leg. From a psychological perspective, having to motor plan a different movement might also bypass some of the anxiety triggers.

1 Like

Hosspuller - My horse is awesome at standing and waiting on me. He’s not the problem.

Digihorse - I did tons of PT and still work on the weaker leg, but have trouble with the joint shifting during even those exercises. I’m sure you understand the pain associated with that. I’m getting to the point that I feel that the surgeon was a quack and screwed something up. Needless to say, even with my mounting block (which is very similar to the marine block you posted) if placed on uneven surface, there is still some wobble. I move mine repeatedly to find a non-wobble section, test from the steps for wobble as I go up while holding on to my horse and then ask him to “come get me.” He moves into position and will only move once I’m on and is told to walk on or when I ask him to step away or move over when I’m on the block. He’s amazing in that regard.

Findthedistance - I have not tried the off side, but had considered it. However, since my right knee (the replaced ACL) is the weakest and tends to be the one that shifts, I’m not certain that it would be wise to use that leg to propel myself up and into the saddle. Outside of having a 4 step block imported from the UK, I think I’m at a loss.

@Kickin’ It Before my ACL was fixed, eons ago, it was a fully extended position that let it go unstable. A bent position was never the problem. If yours is similar, I’d suggest that making sure you always step up with a slightly bent right knee or mount from the opposite side. I don’t think we typically fully straighten the leg we’re stepping up with, at least I don’t.

Just a thought

1 Like

@Synthesis - Thanks. I’ll have to set up m y camera again and get a good look at whether or not I’m extending the leg straight. Without seeing it, I would say no… but I could be and not realizing it. I do know that the right buckles when extended and sometimes when moving upwards from a bent position. It just depends on the shift of weight over the knee. That would be my straight leg on the block as I put the left in the stirrup. That leg would certainly be extended fully and has given out on a slight wobble. I’m thinking I might shorten my stirrups and see if that helps with the left during mount.

I had a mounting issue with my last horse when we were off the property. He was a saint at home but wanted to scoot off away from home before you could even get a leg over. We fixed that by putting a foot in the stirrup and taking it out over and over. Then progressed to standing on the leg that was in the stirrup and stepping right back down. Essentially we were desensitizing him to mounting by breaking it into smaller, easier parts. Even though the horse is not the problem here, it may help you if you start by saying all I have to do is put my foot in the stirrup and take it right back out as opposed to hurry up and get on already.

1 Like

I have the same situation. Two torn ACLs, one I did the surgery and the other I chose not to, so far ( It’s been a few years). My surgery and PT went pretty well, albeit a long haul. I didn’t ride for 9 months. That was 9 years ago and now the knee is sore quite a bit. Not unstable but I’m guessing it’s arthritis. The other one feels better, but I do have the instability you described. Not fun. I know the more strengthening exercises I do, the better both knees feel and work. Especially quad muscles. Have you tried a brace for your left leg? The kind that has hinges helped me until I got better at getting on. It did not hinder my riding. I also have anxiety about riding in general from the fall that first injured my knee, so I understand that part, too. Best of luck.

2 Likes

@stressgirl37 - I have a few braces of different styles, but they aren’t comfortable to ride in. However, when the knees feel particularly unstable (or painful), I do break them out and use them. I’ve tried a chiropractor as well since my left knee occasionally throws my hip out. It helps with the pain, but not the stability. I think I’ll focus more on the quads and see if that helps. (Thanks!)

1 Like

I know I need to lose the weight. It’s a vicious circle as my one knee makes it hard to go downhill or do any kind of braking motion such as steps, which means less exercise, less supportive muscle. And I am very familiar with the pain from the overextension, it’s no fun at all. I have one knee that has destabilized with repeated insults over time, I don’t even know what is the problem exactly but it needs fixin’.

I’d use the truck, picnic table, bullbar or grille guard sounds very good depending on the style, rocks, fences and “stuff” as described by the posters previously, heck if they made this for my model year I’d buy it https://www.bumperonly.com/products/trail-ready-pn10401g-chevy-silverado-1500, look at all the steps and handholds. This is much more stable and it looks like I could shift myself over from an even starting point rather than step up. Especially with a well mannered and cooperative horse.

Everything about the siting of the block, the wiggling and then the invitation to the horse once you think all is well sounds like a build up to fear and hesitation. The block will always wiggle, you will always have to step up and balance. A nice tailgate you can scoot your rear end on to and then with luck your feet are already at stirrup height or close to it, feet into the stirrup without necessarily having to stand and balance, if you can squat at all ( I know that may be out of the question but only you know your limitations) or sit with one leg flat and one knee bent up, go down to the seated position on the horse if there is any way to do it without depending on the knees at all.
On the trail there are some stirrup aids that add a second stirrup to “climb to”. That would be difficult for me as my leg would be extended and I might have trouble keeping the long length from swinging sideways (I also have had unspecified hip issues, fun fun) but again only you know what your limitations are…

Do you have any other options for surgery or PT nearby? Any athletic programs at schools that have ties to surgeons that may be better for you? I would try the surgery again using someone different and definitely with a commitment to PT.
Best of luck to you and it is a great thing that you are still keeping on.

@ ReSomething - Another surgery?! I sure hope not. The first one was such a pain (literally) and took forever to recover from. I would rather not go through that again only to have the same issues.

I’ve thought about using the truck to mount, but haven’t really tried. I popped both knees coming off the tail of the truck last year when I was (stupidly) climbing on the bumper to grab something in the bed after a ride. The truck shifted when my horse pawed (in the trailer) and that was all she wrote. It scared the crap out of me (loud pops and pain) and I seriously thought that I re-tore the fixed ACL. I had to sit, cry, and test it for a few minutes before I realized it was ok… painful & slightly swollen, but ok. Needless to say, stuff like that is part of my issue.

I’ve thought about putting the block in the trailer and mounting from back there. Only problem would be that I don’t think I could close the trailer door after mounting since the gadget that holds it open isn’t accessible from horseback. I could have a fellow rider close it, but not practical.