Unlimited access >

Mounting block size

I am looking for a mounting block that I can keep right outside my barn so that I can get on and walk to the arena from there. I would be putting on top of grass, which makes me worry about the stability of it and was thinking wood would be the safer option. I found one for sale online that looked really nice, except I wasn’t sure if the size was too small? Is it tall enough? I have one horse that is 16.1/16.2 and my other is 17.2/17.3 - would a plastic one be okay on grass? Are there certain brands more solid than others? Does anybody use a mounting block on grass and do you have any issues with it? Am I just better off building my own wooden one instead of buying one online or instead of the plastic ones? If anybody has any suggestions or opinions I’d really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Measurements:

• Measures 17.5" high x 38" long
  • Steps are 17.5"x10"
  • Top is 17.5"x20"

Plastic ones are very stable, hold up to sitting in the rain and sun, and are portable. I have found a 2 step is plenty for most things, a 3 is nice for the big ones, and a 4 step is glorious if you are short and have an 18.2 hand behemoth.

Wood can rot, is heavy and expensive, and I find them to rarely be built as stable as the plastic ones. I’d build a wood one before buying it.

ETA: wood is nice if you want a bigger platform and don’t care about being able to move it.

5 Likes

I have, uh…this one. And I really wish it had one more step for my ~16 hand critters. But it is easy to move around. I’d go with at least a three step in your shoes, personally. I have no issues with the plastic on the grass.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/horsemens-pride-twostep-mounting-block-15873

2 Likes

I have the three step that is sold at Tractor Supply. It’s very stable and easy to move considering it’s height.

2 Likes

Will you ever need to move it?

If no, you can build a wood one for a fraction of the price of buying a wood or plastic one.

3 Likes

I hate rickety, unstable mounting blocks. I had someone build a huge wooden one for my crippled amateur self :wink:

8 Likes

I have the 3 step version of this and have also used the 4 step, both very stable and plenty tall enough for big horses; https://www.burlinghamsports.com/store/products/1193/Mounting-Blocks.

2 Likes

plastic ones are nice and durable but spendy (especially if you buy online and ship), if you are handy easy to build a good heavy wooden one. I lucked out, there was an old set of cement steps in the hedgerow of my farm that I snicked as a mounting block - high, long, durable and immovable (also handy place to store stuff underneath)
362671933_3605653209680083_1814287418573567519_n

2 Likes

I have the 4 step block from Burlingame Sports - SmartPak sells it. It’s been a godsend for me as a 5’5 person with a 16.3h horse and a disability that makes mounting and dismounting difficult. I’ve got my guy trained to “park” at the mounting block after rides so I can dismount onto it - much easier for me and I’d like to think kinder to his back. We have several older adult amateurs at our barn - one with an 18.2hh mammoth and another who’s had her knees replaced. Both really appreciate having access to a taller block.

It was pricey but well worth the investment. Having something portable is incredibly useful - it comes along when we’re off property and I’ve lost count of the number of times other riders have asked to use it at shows. It’s also nice to be able to move it to the outdoor for the summer or in place of a step ladder when I have projects to do around the barn.

6 Likes

I have the four step as well. It took a minute to get used to, but now it is my best friend! Completely stable

I personally prefer to step down onto a horse without having to put either foot in a stirrup until my butt is resting in the saddle. I think horses prefer it too. So I built a wood 4 step block with a platform top and 4 steps on both ends. However it will need a tractor and pallet forks to move. The top is a platform so I can more safely dismount onto it.

As to grass, the grass grows around it and I just weed whack around it. Obviously no grass lives under it.

3 Likes

At 4’11" and age 72, I use the 3 step for both my 15hh Morgan … and the 13.2 pony :laughing:

I’m 5’ 4"and have a 3 step for getting on my 12.3 Icelandic (when I bought it I had a 15hh horse). Mine has a large opening in the back that could be used for filling with sand if you wanted more weight to it and didn’t need to move it often

Check out dock steps and safety steps in general! A little cheaper than the horse specific brands. I have this one, very sturdy but easy to move a bit if needed. It is quite tall, probably 3-4 inches over the 3-step blocks?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BUV3PXQ?ref=cm_sw_r_cso_sms_apin_dp_Q1QFDTSB0MV9Q6SQAR2M&ref_=cm_sw_r_cso_sms_apin_dp_Q1QFDTSB0MV9Q6SQAR2M&social_share=cm_sw_r_cso_sms_apin_dp_Q1QFDTSB0MV9Q6SQAR2M&starsLeft=1&skipTwisterOG=2

1 Like

This was my favourite set up at a local farm! Best mounting block and best supervision stool.

Check out dock steps that boaters use. They come in several heights and you can add a handrail. https://www.westmarine.com/dock-steps/

1 Like

FYI - The Burlingham Four Step recommended by a few people above is included in the SmartPak 4th of July sale (20% off) if anyone tempted. Now $319 instead of $399.

https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/burlingham-sports-four-step-mounting-block-23049

3 Likes

we have a giant 4 step plastic one . We have it on grass and its fine unless its in a place that isn’t level. So if it feels like it isn’t stable I just shift it over. I have a 15hh horse so its hilarious to get on him from that, I feel like I’m coming down from the sky…

We made a wooden mounting block using these as our base from the Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-Step-Ground-Contact-Pressure-Treated-Pine-Stair-Stringer-279712/301040004

But after 20 years, it did need some re-enforcements. :grin: I also have the 3-step plastic one in the arena and it’s great for my tall boy. I do like the maneuverability of it.

1 Like

i have a three stepper plastic one that i move around. My tallest horse is 18H and I can get on just fine. I’m about 5’8.