Unlimited access >

Muck Boot with Tall Boot Feel for Daily Schooling?

Does anyone know of any muck boots that are shaped like a tall boot or a tall boot that is very mudproof/waterproof?

I have previously used the Dublin River boots but the interior of my new pair recently died on me after a few months of use and they don’t have a close enough feel for riding anyways.
I’m a little picky and I want the close feel of precision in my tall boots but in a muck boot. I really struggle with a dressage ride that’s actually productive in normal muck boots that have less of a closer feel as I don’t have the exactness that I prefer for schooling. Or if a boot that is similar in waterproofness to the Dublin River boot but with a closer contact feel like a tall boot?

Just looking for something that I can ride in but also do paddocks & stalls in as I used to do this in tall boots but it destroyed them. Even though I’m very regular about cleaning them, my region is very muddy over half of the year so kind of looking for a hybrid but without heavy winter insulation so I can wear it year round.

You might consider a waterproof paddock boot from Ariat plus a half chap. Or one of the insulated winter tall boots from Ariat. Unfortunately I don’t think there is any neoprene muck boot that you can ride in

2 Likes

Just take your boots off. I’ve been doing chores in the same pair of LLBean boots for 9 years, but a pair of tall boots would make it 3 months. The $99 and 20 extra seconds to change my shoes was well worth it.

I can’t think of any boots that aren’t insulated that are like this. Even Dubarry have a wool lining.

4 Likes

I used to switch between my Dublins & my tail boots. However, my Dublin boots fell apart so I don’t have another set of boots to switch into anymore.

Yes I’ve seen that the winter tall boots from other brands look waterproof but I am a little nervous that they’ll be a bit too warm for the other months but they definitely look like they’d be better for the mud/water

Many moons ago I purchased Mountain Horse yard boots and rode and worked in them. I’ve had them for 8 years or so now and they’ve held up very nicely, although I don’t use them much anymore because they’re too hot for where I live currently. I don’t think they sell the model anymore, but they’ve got a new different model called the Spring River (there is a winter version of the boot called “snowy river”, so I’m guessing this version is not insulated). The footbed looks about the same as mine, but the upper looks far nicer, and I think it’s marketed as waterproof (or at least water resilient). I’ve got 3 pairs of MH boots to date, and they’ve all been fantastic. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy the spring river boots if I had my own barn and needed something versatile for riding and chores.

1 Like

Yes. This. I’ve never been able to find a boot that satisfies me for riding and daily chores/stable stuff. I wear Muck boots and just change into tall boots for riding. My tall boots last because I only ride in them. Muck boots have always lasted me too. I’ve got a pair that is at least 8 years old.

In the summer I often just use a good waterproof hiking boot. Mountain horse, Ariat, Columbia, whatever is comfortable.

2 Likes

Yes I saw the Snowy River boots and love the look! Are these the Spring River Boots you were talking about? Mountain Horse doesn’t have them on their website but SmartPak seems to carry them

I LOVE my Dubarry Clare boots. I do everything in them, and I do mean everything. I ride, clean, pressure wash, garden, fight zombies LOL, etc. If I had to wear one pair of shoes to wear for the rest of my life, these would be it.

1 Like

I have a pair of Ovation Moorland boots. This newer incarnation is a bit taller in length than my pair from several years ago, so they end up being tall enough for me to school in. They are definitely waterproof and comfy to wear for mucking, bathing, etc. They are, however, “moisty” feeling when it gets hot, so not sure if they’d work for you. And they only come in a distressed brown color.

1 Like

Those are the ones! Mountain Horse seems to switch out stuff on their website quite frequently and I think it also depends on if you’re looking at the US site or their European sites. All that to say, I’m not surprised that you didn’t see them there, but I don’t think you can buy directly from their site anyways.

Let me know if you get a pair! I’m interested to know how they are!

1 Like

I definitely will, thanks for suggesting them!

I don’t mind boot color although I do tend to get a little funny if the boot feels really odd when it’s warm so I appreciate you mentioning that detail haha!

Back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and I was just getting started in my professional career, a lot of my beginners purchased riding boots that were made of rubber. We recommended this because they were very affordable and sometimes people didn’t want to show or do much more than trail ride.

Don’t they still make those rubber riding boots? (Or some kind of waterproof synthetic.) If memory serves, they cost around $20 (around 1982) and were virtually indestructible.

1 Like

I remember those! They are indestructible, but very hot. And clumpy to walk in

3 Likes

I have these ovation neoprene riding boots, which sound a lot like what you’re looking for. The only limitation is that they’re too warm for summer. Muck boots don’t fit as snug, so you don’t retain all that heat. These are warm and comfortable, though. I did wear them a lot as all-purpose winter boots.

1 Like