My family wants me to quit riding.

HI: I’ve been riding and training young horses for almost my entire life. I have always loved horses. However, last year I fractured my knee in a fall while jumping. It took a long time to heal because arthritis set in and I limped. I was just getting back to jumping last week when I got popped off during a jump and broke my hip. I fell because I have arthritis bad in my back and right shoulder. I was in a happy mood and jumped a few jumps and then tried a line. I fell off at the last jump in the line. Now, before my health issues I was a very good rider. However I do not seem to be able to move with my horse the way. I can’t seem top follow the horses motion as good as Icould when I was younger. My husband (who is afraid of horses) and my daughter were furious that I was jumping and got hurt so bad. My husband and daughter both said I am too old to ride horses anymore and that breaks my heart. I have two very nice hunters that I love very much. I can’t imagine my life without horses. When I heal, I planned on doing just flat work - no more jumping. However, my family thinks I am going to get killed next time. I have an OTTB who is a AA hunter, and a four year old Paint that also jumps and is very quiet. She is practically bomb proof for such a young horse. I was thinking about selling my TB because he can get spooky and keep my Paint mare for just flat work. Do you think I’m crazy to keep riding when I am healed or should I quit riding altogether like my family wants me to? I need some opinions from horse people. Am I crazy to want to keep riding? Thanks

I forgot to add that I am 65 years old. I see women older then me riding.

I can tell you that I have broken more bones post 55 than I did when I was under 55. One thing I would check is if you have osteoporosis. There is a test for it. I would want to be informed about my physical condition before making any decision. I also suggest you rethink your question. You can’t imagine a life without horses. I understand, but does it have to be riding? I’ve moved almost entirely to driving. And when I can’t do that, I’ll find something else to do with my horses even if it just groom them and watch someone else show them.

I do think you need to have an honest discussion with your family about your riding plans. In fairness to them, it should not be a decision that you make unillaterally. Remember, if you get really hurt, you’ll may be depending on them for your care. I would be willing to listen to their feelings and be ready to compromise. I guess I don’t see why it has to be an either/or choice.

And best of luck with your recovery on your hip.

9 Likes

The good side of being with horses is that it keeps you active and moving and that is a benefit. I can totally understand why your family is upset, though; broken hips are scary and I haven’t ridden for 6 months in part because I’ve been helping my mother deal with hers.

So maybe you need to have a chat with your doctors, and a talk with your trainer, and maybe most especially chat with your physical therapist, who probably balances some of these issues with a lot of patients, and see what you come up with.

You might come to love dressage or western riding on a steady horse. Maybe a gaited horse is for you. Or maybe driving is a good fit. You can even drive ponies. Maybe you just want to work with them on the ground. And maybe you’ll be fine to ride if you remember that you need to go more slowly in your recovery.

Life is risk, and if you are delicate, it’s a tough balance between being active and avoiding hazards.

But truly, give yourself time to heal and discuss and to come to a decision that fits yourself and your true body condition.

2 Likes

I’m a dressage rider and recently had a nasty fall where I broke my collarbone and some ribs. So I can tell you it’s not just the jumping that’s dangerous. I’ve been having similar thoughts to you. It would be very hard for me to give up riding and I think that, as said above, it really keeps you active and moving. On the other hand it really hasn’t been fair to my family who have looked after me for the last month. I think in your situation I would keep riding the quieter horse to minimise the risk to yourself.

Best of luck with your recovery.

Thanks to all of you!!!

I think keeping the quiet Paint is a great compromise. I understand entirely why you don’t want to give up riding. My family isn’t super excited about my riding due to my history of TBI, but I try to compromise by making better choices about who and how I ride (longeing before I get on when there is any question about the horses being up, not jumping very high, etc.)

3 Likes

What if the day after you sell your horses and all your tack you get hit by a bus?

l don’t mean to be flippant, or minimize your family’s concern, but you see my point.

Most of us compensate as we get older to allow us to continue riding. As an experienced horseman, you can find a commonsense way to keep horses in your life and stay relatively safe while having them.

6 Likes

What you call health problems I think of as pretty normal aging processes – most of us get stiffer over time and many of us get arthritis. I say this to help you accept the changes and avoid feeling like a sick or accident prone person. You’ve already recognized that your riding has changed, which is more than half the battle in avoiding getting hurt again, and your plan sounds solid to me – sell the TB, heal up and tell your family you’ve made your peace with your decision to ride on the flat :). You could, I suppose, apologize to your family for not making the decision after the broken knee and before the broken hip, but, only to make your “I’ve got it now” argument stronger ;). And show them a picture of Queen Elizabeth hacking out at 90 on her sensible draft pony!

11 Likes

I understand what you are going through. I had a horrific jumping fall 2.5 years ago and my family was there for me as I recovered, which honestly took over a year. I kept my OTTB and I’ll tell you, you can develop a different type of relationship with your horse if you aren’t riding as much. I’m proud to be back in the saddle, but I am not jumping (well, maybe a xrail now and then) but I limit my riding to conditions that are as safe as possible. If he’s up one day, I lunge or don’t ride. I’m just careful and having fun with him. I never thought I’d love to spend time at the barn if I wasn’t doing an ambitious ride, but I was wrong. I love hanging out with him at 10pm while he’s munching and grooming him. Our bond is stronger and my family isn’t as worried. All good :slight_smile: I say sell the OTTB and keep the paint for limited flat work. And I agree with other poster, dressage doesn’t mean no accidents. Some of the worst I’ve heard of happened in dressage.
Good luck and keep healing!

2 Likes

I am 58, about to get my second knee replacement, have a lot of osteoarthritis and the typical horsewoman’s roster of injuries. I would respect your family’s concerns but figure out a way to make your riding safer, rather than giving it up entirely.

I stopped riding young horses and horses for other people ~ 10 years ago.

I shattered my right ankle at 40 and that really limits my jumping - if a horse takes a big fence or an odd distance, and I need to land with a lot of weight in my right stirrup, it is very painful and therefore, not terribly secure. Realistically, since I don’t jump often, my once excellent “eye” is gone - I’m much more likely to get in wrong now. And my physical abilities have declined as well. So I stick to horses that know their jobs, little gymnastics and low fences in the ring, and logs out on the trail.

I mostly ride my own two horses who are good do-bees. I would not consider giving it up entirely while I am physically able to ride. I could see wearing a body protector in the future, and maybe even switching to gaited horses after the current ones retire. I carry a cell phone with me whenever I ride, and I rarely ride by myself anymore (which is a damn shame, because it is a signifigant pleasure to be alone in the woods with my horse.)

Best of luck to you, and hope you can make your family understand.

2 Likes

I am 70. After two falls (from two different horses) in three years that resulted in broken ribs I was forced to reconsider - not would I continue to ride - but what would change in my riding. Four years ago I sold the young AQHA and bought a BTDT 14 year old, ranch broke, AQHA AND a western saddle. Best decision I ever made. For me not riding is not an option.

8 Likes

What great advice you are getting here. My family convinced my to stop jumping at 50 after a bad injury but I’m still competing a bit at dressage at 69. There’s always a way…

5 Likes

I am younger than some of the posters here, but just wanted to echo others about the not making it an “either/or.”

My riding instructor is well past 70. She is an EMT, ski coach, Pony-Club DC, grandmother, hiker and instructor and nothing is slowing her down. For her age is not a factor. Part of aging is coming to terms what you can and cannot do - she no longer competes Prelim+, and is much more judicious about who she rides – but she has not given up riding.

I am certain that her active life-style is what has kept so many of the infirmities of old age at bay. She is more active than me!

So perhaps a discussion with your family is in order, but don’t think you need to give up riding entirely. It’s all about finding a balance.

2 Likes

You have experienced two life altering injuries. Unfortunately, it is not just your life that was altered by these events. Your family has and will continue to provide their love and support as you heal. Your injuries directly affect family members. They get the scary phone calls, attend to you while in hospital and during recovery at home. Take on extra responsibilities while you are not able, and worry every single time you visit the barn. You do owe it to them to respectfully consider their emotions and the request to stop riding.

When I read your post, I relate. I see in my mind a body that is becoming creaky and will not always co-operate with it’s owner. I know how that feels I have one too. In my head, I manage competently, the reality is: I get by. Arthritis can be limiting. I think I am strong, but am not. Ortho surgeon recommended I stop riding, as further repairs would be complicated. I have decided to rebel, and have the occasional post lesson WALK on my daughter’s horse. Those rides occur when the stars align. I am not too stiff, can actually get a leg over, and he is being a good egg. Not what I want, but oh the joy it brings.

You mention that you have advancing arthritis and notice a decline in your ability to move with the horse. As this was occurring prior to major injuries, I think it unlikely that your strength, balance and stick ability will improve. I believe it is time to at least consider how and who you ride.

In reading your post, you mention a plan to sell the spooky TB and keeping the almost bomb proof Paint for flat only work. I fully support this plan. It provides a less risky experience that will reassure your family and allows you to fully participate in the horsey world. Sounds perfect to me.

4 Likes

I worked in orthopedic pain management and young people break their ankles walking out of the house in the am.or getting out of a car. There is no way to avoid getting hurt yes some folks are lucky or have great balance or tough bones but the rest of us we will get hurt and all of us if we live long enough(maybe sooner) will get sick.
So this is your life and you should decide whats important to you. I agree with posters that a steady calm horse is the best idea and if your balance or strength is not that great than maybe give up jumping.
I’m older than you and have had to deal with this issue. My SO has had 4 back surgeries and won’t stop riding, I also have broken a few bones.
Remind your family that cars are really dangerous, 35000 fatalities a year in US and I don’t have the figures for morbidity but its got to be real high. we have to drive so we take the risks and pretend we have some control. I’d much rather deal with a spooky horse than a person driving texting or drinking or just plain tired.
Your life, you decide!

3 Likes

I became disabled with Multiple Sclerosis over two decades ago. I am now 65.

I just accept my limitations. I do not jump, I rarely canter, I ride in the ring, I have someone watching me just in case, I always wear a helmet, I have an RS-tor to hold onto that helps the rider land on their feet (I haven’t fallen but it gives me a great sense of security), and I do everything I can to keep the horse comfortable.

I still ride. I just accept my limitations and keep getting up on the wonderful horses. Since riding horses improves my ability to walk on my own two feet I don’t get any arguments from my husband or sons. Yes it gets boring just walking and trotting around the ring, but the alternative of not riding–well, that is just not going to happen as long as I can get up on the horse’s back.

Because if I quit riding horses something would die in my soul.

4 Likes

And get yourself to the gym. You have entered the phase of life that demands relentless self care. I didn’t do much besides running and riding when I was younger now, at 70, I do tai chi for balance, Pilates twice a week for strength and swim once a week for stamina. And I ride 5 x a week, my horses are all older and steady.

You have to up the training if you want to continue, especially after injuries.

I dont have have a lot of $$ to pay a trainer, so I consulted once and had her develop a program for me that I can do at home and use you tube for many exercises.

You can keep riding, you just have to put the time and effort into keeping fit.

6 Likes

Thanks so much!!! I do get a free gym membership from my health insurance. As soon as I can drive again, I am going to join. I am going to sell my OTTB because although he is basically a good boy, he needs to be ridden at least four-five times a week. If he gets a lot of exercise, he’s not spooky. But I can’t take chances with him anymore. My Paint is very quiet. She’s also smaller and easier to get on. My real problem is with my husband of 35 years. He is very controlling and bossy and gets very nasty verbally with me if he does not get his way. He has never been supportive of my riding, although I pay for all my own bills. Right now he is angry and resentful because I got hurt and he has to help me out. This is a hard enough situation for me to be in because he is so resentful. I even checked out of rehab early because he was getting panic attacks from coming to see me. I told him to not come, which made him even angrier. So my stomach is in a knot all the time. He is 73 and retired, but in good shape. My daughter is working in Japan but she calls and “lets me have it”. Also it is hard for me to realize that I have gotten old. It snuck up on me.In my head I am still in my 20’s, but my body has let me down. I decided to keep my Paint mare and eventually walk and trot and that is all. It is a very depressing situation especially with no support at home. Luckily, I am at a great barn where people are very helpful so I don’t have to worry about my horses getting good care. I liked the comment that one of you posted, “you can sell your horses, and then get hit by a bus…” It’s just that horses have been 90% of my life for so many years, I will have a huge hole in my life and soul without them. I do have lots of other interests, but none of them comes close to what horses do for me. Thanks to all of you for letting me vent. This is a really bad time in my life.

3 Likes

I think it’s time to draw some boundaries. Your husband’s and daughter’s concerns aren’t unreasonable, but their trying to influence and control your activities and behavior are…

Learn to say "I understand your concern and I agree to take steps to mitigate some of the risks involved. However, giving up riding entirely is off the table as an option and while I understand that you’re scared for me, I’m sure you don’t want me to give up something the gives me so much pleasure and happiness.

I have been a responsible adult for a long time now, and have always made decisions with what’s best in the family in mind. You are going to have to trust me to make a decision that is best for me and the family. If you would like to discuss other ways of mitigating the risk without giving up what I love entirely, I would be open to that conversation. Other than that, I am finished with this discussion."

Repeat as necessary.

8 Likes