Unlimited access >

My favorite things/moments at WEG

I’m getting back from three amazing days at WEG! If it wasn’t for all the negativity in Social media, I would have no idea people thought things were amiss. Almost everyone there seemed to have been having a fabulous time! So let’s start a happy WEG thread! My favorite parts of the last few days:

-The dressage music! Such a fun addition compared to the traditional elevator music!
-Watching team USA win team silver and Laura win individual! What an amazing moment!
-The organizers allowing everyone into the covered section of the dressage arena when the sun was so hot the first two days. It was tough sitting in the sun and nice that they allowed everyone into the covered section so we could enjoy!
-milkshakes at the general store! Mmmmmm
-Ever dream about galloping across a golf course! The bottom field of the xc was previously a golf course…the footing was AMAZING!
-squirrels!
-Hearing folks from other countries comment on what a nice venue it was
-shopping! I was in horse shopping heaven!

What were your your favorite things?

Glad to hear you had a good time! People do seem to like to complain. I watched the cross-country yesterday live streaming and it seemed like a great course and good event. I am going on Tuesday, will be there Wed-Sunday to mostly watch the showjumping, but I have tickets for vaulting also. I went in 2010 and loved it, so am looking forward to going again.

1 Like

My favorite was the informal XC course walk with Boyd Martin that we got to tag along with! Happened to catch up with his group about a third of the way through the course, and walked with them the rest of the way. He stopped at each obstacle and talked about his plan for navigating it. Very interesting!

5 Likes

I loved the volunteers and the hospitality/parking crew! (And the air conditioned buses!) Everyone was super cheerful, even at the end of a hot day!

xc was amazing to walk around, the footing felt perfect and it was so much fun.

5 Likes

Thank you for the positive thread!

Major equestrian events that get any media attention in the real world are few and far between and it saddens me that people trash our own sport so freely.

Yes, the athletes, horses, and fans deserve a first-class facility and perfect experience but… as evidenced by the problems WEG 2018 had even finding a venue, equestrian sports are struggling for support throughout the world.

Throw a deadly hurricane and a complex global governing body filled with wealthy rivals into the mix, and it’s a wonder that WEG is happening at all- I hope this is not the last time!

As an armchair fan, THANK YOU to everyone who put so much time, energy, and money into making WEG happen this year. Athletes, support crew, TIEC visionaries, vendors, volunteers, reporter/blogger/posters: you are helping keep horses relevant in this digital, passive, indoor age and you deserve the appreciation of all of us that love horses.

10 Likes

I love how the crowd clapped for every dressage competitor as they exited the stadium. Wonderful recognition of the hard work everyone puts forth to even be there.

There were plenty of portable toilets and they were really nice and clean every morning.

Lots of food trucks so much better than the usual horse show fare.

A good coffee food truck!

Air conditioned tent to go watch movies when it was just too hot to go on!

The fun thing about every WEG I’ve ever attended is that everyone is social, loves to talk about their horses and where they’re from. You never have to worry about how to start a conversation.

The cross country course was beautiful.

I accidentally got into the stabling area and it was very nice.

Lots of good shopping!

5 Likes

There must have been elves there. When breaking for lunch, we left our empty drink cups inthe cupholders so we could remember where we sat. During the break, they must have cleaned up, because when we returned, our cups were gone! The whole row was nice and clean.

1 Like

I saw a post somewhere that advanced the theory that they must have a full crew of elves working all night, every night to get things done. :lol:

2 Likes

I loved the competition in itself. The riders were amazing and there was a true love for the horses.

I loved when when there was open seating So I could follow the shade and not get totally burned.

I personally have nothing positive to say about the venue.

The horses, the horses, the horses! I was there for the dressage, and it was the best sport I’ve ever seen. The best of the best, and they brought their A game! I loved seeing how excited Charlotte was to get a bronze Team medal. She was dancing around on the podium. She was also thrilled to get an individual bronze. And Isabel, crying with emotion after her rides and on the podiums. Many of us have had heartache with special horses, and we can understand the overwhelming feeling of overcoming difficulties to bring a horse all the way back. Both of those riders have “been there, done that”, but shared their passion with everyone.
The footing in the arenas was great, the shaded stands were a Godsend, and how smart of them to let everyone sit there.
Great vendors, and lots of people seemed to be shopping.
Wish I could have stayed longer.

5 Likes

That’s so neat!

1 Like

My friend’s horse winning Team Gold in the Reining (and my boyfriend was groom for the horse). Didn’t get to see in person, but at least I got to watch on the live stream.

4 Likes

The reining was amazing in person. This is one of my favorite moments. Spectator count was a little lower since it got moved up and it was open seating so we could get great seats. Everyone was whistling and cheering and the horses were amazing. Congrats to Belgium on the individual Gold! Congrats to USA on the Team Gold!

Hi Guys
Here are the final results for the Eventing at WEG 2018

Ingrid Klimke’s one rail down in the showjumping cost her and Germany dearly, and open the way for young Rosalind Canter and Team GBR. Here are the top 20 individual results and the top 10 team results in the Eventing at WEG 2018
http://clear-round.com/index.php/2018/09/13/eventing-results-from-weg-2018/

Enjoy
Dave

1 Like

Individual gold was won by a Belgian, not a German.

1 Like

I loved everything about my trip. The people down there were truly the nicest people I have ever met, the facility, while not finished was totally functional. The horses and riders were so exciting to watch, I don’t live in an area where I can see top notch riding so to be there in person and soak it all in was a real treat. It was fun to watch reining, and amazing to see the endurance horses in the holding area being cared for by their team.

1 Like

Corrected. Thank you!

I loved the dressage competition but have nothing nice to say about the facility itself. It took 90 minutes to get from the facility to our car on Thursday 9/13. The employees on the ground dealing with the shuttle buses were completely clueless and disorganized. No one was really directing anything. We ended up paying $40 for private parking on Friday so we could actually get to our car at a reasonable time.

Even though there were supposed to be no umbrellas allowed, lots of people had them.

After all their excuses on making us have clear bags for security purposes, they didn’t check anything if it was in a clear bag.

I’m surprised at more than one person saying they could think of nothing good to say of the facility. Really? Not ONE thing was good? Footing? Arenas? Beautiful, well-ridden XC course? Food? Restrooms? Really, not one thing you all liked? Sounds like you all had a rotten time. I can understand being disappointed in some things, but…not one little thing?

Once the initial getting in was finalised a few days before, It all went very smoothly… Untill some one in a VIP area told me" You are only an athlete"… The language that followed was very colourful, and my only real negetive experience there…

1 Like