Unlimited access >

My horrible experiences with Texas horse trainer/instructor Ellen Doughty-Hume

Ellen Doughty-Hume has requested a public apology regarding my reaction to her comment about the passing of my husband’s draftcross gelding Danger Mouse. I’m sorry that I believed the comment Ellen made was meant to be negative. I was wrong. In reciprocation, I would like a public apology from her as well, for the following occurrences in which she is verifiably at fault for:

1. My horses were turned out in a field known to flood in the past, after repeatedly asking for them not to be down there, resulting in my Irish Draught gelding Bailey drowning and other gelding, Mouse, spending a week in the hospital with water in his lungs. (In full disclosure, I was paid HALF of Bailey’s value by Ellen’s insurance company). Unfortunately, no lessons were learned from my horse’s death, since horses are still being turned out in this same pasture.
  2. Ellen waited over 8 hours to notify me that my daughter’s pony, Fella, was colicking. Instead Ellen chose to leave him in a stall to thrash while she went home, forbidding the staff/working students from calling me, the horse’s owner. I’m grateful to the one working student who disobeyed Ellen’s cruelty. Thankfully, my friend arrived with her horse trailer in time to get Fella to the clinic for colic surgery in the middle of the night.
  3. My Oldenburg gelding, Ziggy, was turned out in a hail storm which resulted in a career ending injury. (All area horse owners knew that storm was coming, in fact Ellen had time to stop and photograph the clouds rolling in to the barn, and post them on social media.)
  4. I was not informed that my Thoroughbred gelding, Buzz, was non weight-bearing with cellulitis for 2 days, and no vet was called. Ellen chose to diagnose and treat him herself without giving me the option of veterinary care.
  5. I found out Buzz had been colicky via a Banamine charge on my bill almost THREE WEEKS after the fact.
  6. Ellen allowed other people to ride my horses without my permission, including taking one over state lines to go cross country schooling without my approval or my requested written agreement from the rider. (Found this out via photos online, and confirmed by asking the rider who had no idea I hadn’t given permission.)
  7. Changing my horses’ farrier without asking me.
  8. Changing my horses’ feed without asking or telling me.
  9. Running out of alfalfa numerous times without telling boarders (but still charging alfalfa fee for those days).
  10. Feeding low-quality hay that most of my horses refused to eat.
  11. Galli, my older Hanoverian who had been at a good weight previously, lost over 200lbs in the span of a few months, leaving him with a skeletal appearance.
  12. Billing for coaching at shows but usually hardly receiving any (common complaint from others).
  13. Not being welcome at local Area 5 show venues due to Ellen’s previous behavior at said venues.
  14. Ellen’s students (including myself) were threatened with eliminaion at Fleur de Leap Horse Trials because she argued with a Technical Delegate about her dogs being on a “verbal invisible leash.” Her loose dogs at show venues is also a common compliant.
  15. Ellen entered the dressage ring in Florida on Buzz when he was head bobbing lame, which later required surgery, resulting in that he now has an elimination on his USEA record…in DRESSAGE.
  16. Leaving the barn of 60+ horses in the care eight-year-old child, to do all morning chores by herself. (Although a fantastic kid, it is wildly inappropriate to leave her alone to go in stalls with no adult present.)
  17. Overworking / jumping my 3 year old higher than I had given permission for when I wasn’t there, causing stress in his joints that required treatment and 4 months off. He was also taken to a show (I was not present) and competed while sore.
  18. Myself and other students were kicked off a cross country course for jumping after the course was closed…then Ellen argued with the owner, almost resulting in us being banned from showing the next day in the schooling show.
    These are just my personal experiences. I travel regularly for work, and entrusted Ellen to care for and train my horses as a professional. Unfortunately, her poor decision making regularly came at the expense of the horses in her care. I cannot even begin to list how many other people I saw get ripped off or screwed over in addition to myself. Hopefully this post encourages them to speak up. By keeping quiet, they are enabling Ellen to continue being a negligent and dangerous disgrace to horses, riders (mostly with parents who don’t know any better), and the entire sport of eventing. I could keep going, but I don’t think I need to. In ONE year I had 1 horse die, 1 horse permanently crippled, and 5 horses require surgery/hospital stays.
    Sharing your personal experiences publicly is NOT slander if it is TRUE. I have photos, videos, vet statements, witnesses, etc to back up EVERY SINGLE CLAIM.
    I wanted to ride off in the sunset and be happy with my ponies, but my conscience would not let me. I’m taking a stand for those who don’t have a voice. My only regret is that I waited so long.
15 Likes
 My horrible experiences with Texas horse trainer/instructor
    Ellen Doughty-Hume has requested a public apology regarding my reaction to her comment about the passing of my husband's draftcross gelding Danger Mouse. I'm sorry that I believed the comment Ellen made was meant to be negative. I was wrong. In reciprocation, I would like a public apology from her as well, for the following occurrences in which she is verifiably at fault for:
    1. My horses were turned out in a field known to flood in the past, after repeatedly asking for them not to be down there, resulting in my Irish Draught gelding Bailey drowning and other gelding, Mouse, spending a week in the hospital with water in his lungs. (In full disclosure, I was paid HALF of Bailey's value by Ellen's insurance company). Unfortunately, no lessons were learned from my horse's death, since horses are still being turned out in this same pasture.
    2. Ellen waited over 8 hours to notify me that my daughter's pony, Fella, was colicking. Instead Ellen chose to leave him in a stall to thrash while she went home, forbidding the staff/working students from calling me, the horse's owner. I'm grateful to the one working student who disobeyed Ellen's cruelty. Thankfully, my friend arrived with her horse trailer in time to get Fella to the clinic for colic surgery in the middle of the night.
    3. My Oldenburg gelding, Ziggy, was turned out in a hail storm which resulted in a career ending injury. (All area horse owners knew that storm was coming, in fact Ellen had time to stop and photograph the clouds rolling in to the barn, and post them on social media.)
    4. I was not informed that my Thoroughbred gelding, Buzz, was non weight-bearing with cellulitis for 2 days, and no vet was called. Ellen chose to diagnose and treat him herself without giving me the option of veterinary care.
    5. I found out Buzz had been colicky via a Banamine charge on my bill almost THREE WEEKS after the fact.
    6. Ellen allowed other people to ride my horses without my permission, including taking one over state lines to go cross country schooling without my approval or my requested written agreement from the rider. (Found this out via photos online, and confirmed by asking the rider who had no idea I hadn't given permission.)
    7. Changing my horses' farrier without asking me.
    8. Changing my horses' feed without asking or telling me.
    9. Running out of alfalfa numerous times without telling boarders (but still charging alfalfa fee for those days).
    10. Feeding low-quality hay that most of my horses refused to eat.
    11. Galli, my older Hanoverian who had been at a good weight previously, lost over 200lbs in the span of a few months, leaving him with a skeletal appearance.
    12. Billing for coaching at shows but usually hardly receiving any (common complaint from others).
    13. Not being welcome at local Area 5 show venues due to Ellen's previous behavior at said venues.
    14. Ellen's students (including myself) were threatened with eliminaion at Fleur de Leap Horse Trials because she argued with a Technical Delegate about her dogs being on a "verbal invisible leash." Her loose dogs at show venues is also a common compliant.
    15. Ellen entered the dressage ring in Florida on Buzz when he was head bobbing lame, which later required surgery, resulting in that he now has an elimination on his USEA record…in DRESSAGE.
    16. Leaving the barn of 60+ horses in the care eight-year-old child, to do all morning chores by herself. (Although a fantastic kid, it is wildly inappropriate to leave her alone to go in stalls with no adult present.)
    17. Overworking / jumping my 3 year old higher than I had given permission for when I wasn't there, causing stress in his joints that required treatment and 4 months off. He was also taken to a show (I was not present) and competed while sore.
    18. Myself and other students were kicked off a cross country course for jumping after the course was closed…then Ellen argued with the owner, almost resulting in us being banned from showing the next day in the schooling show.
    These are just my personal experiences. I travel regularly for work, and entrusted Ellen to care for and train my horses as a professional. Unfortunately, her poor decision making regularly came at the expense of the horses in her care. I cannot even begin to list how many other people I saw get ripped off or screwed over in addition to myself. Hopefully this post encourages them to speak up. By keeping quiet, they are enabling Ellen to continue being a negligent and dangerous disgrace to horses, riders (mostly with parents who don't know any better), and the entire sport of eventing. I could keep going, but I don't think I need to. In ONE year I had 1 horse die, 1 horse permanently crippled, and 5 horses require surgery/hospital stays.
    Sharing your personal experiences publicly is NOT slander if it is TRUE. I have photos, videos, vet statements, witnesses, etc to back up EVERY SINGLE CLAIM.
    I wanted to ride off in the sunset and be happy with my ponies, but my conscience would not let me. I'm taking a stand for those who don't have a voice. My only regret is that I waited so long. 

After any ONE of the above incidents happened, why did you not move all of your horses out of this woman’s care immediately?

:eek::confused::confused::confused:

31 Likes

[QUOTE=Curiously;8981583]
After any ONE of the above incidents happened, why did you not move all of your horses out of this woman’s care immediately?

:eek::confused::confused::confused:[/QUOTE]

Thanks for saving the OP for posterity. :wink:

10 Likes

This may be premature, but I feel like COTH Santa has come early this year! :smiley:

7 Likes

The OP says that that trainer E.D.H has asked for a public apology. Knowing nothing of the situation, but a bit about how such conflicts tend to play out, I would bet that this “ask” was in a lawyer’s letter. You can get a lawyer to write such a letter threatening legal action, even if you have no real intention of suing for libel or slander, of course. So OP is refusing to apologize, and instead repeating all the accusations plus some, presumably counting on the fact that E.D.H won’t really take action, or has no grounds to stand on. Fun times.

I have to agree, though, with the poster above who says: why in the world did OP keep her horse there through all these obvious red flags and fails? And what on earth does she mean for “those who don’t have a voice”? Surely anyone who thinks that this is a bad situation can just move their horses. If half of these claims are even half true, then surely everyone in the area knows the truth.

Just Googled E.D.H. and she is in fact a high-profile regional rider. The list of complaints from the OP made her sound like a backyard yahoo. I see absolutely nothing bad about her on-line, other than this thread. Oh, and the fact that her wikipedia page has been deleted over “problems.” That usually means someone is coming in and repeatedly hacking a particular wikipedia page for personal (or ideological) reasons.

I’m now going to want more actual evidence now before I believe anything from the OPs list! And I expect OP will get themselves a cease and desist letter fairly promptly.

What are the ramifications for a blog that hosts this material?

1 Like

No matter how flat the pancake, it’s got two sides.

22 Likes

I do know for a fact the claims from the OP are true, we are a small community in the area. If you knew the OP personal as I do, you would understand as to why she didn’t just leave after all the events, they were spaced apart. anyways.

6 Likes

[QUOTE=findeight;8981628]
No matter how flat the pancake, it’s got two sides.[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol:

[QUOTE=notsofancyeventer;8981632]
I do know for a fact the claims from the OP are true, we are a small community in the area. If you knew the OP personal as I do, you would understand as to why she didn’t just leave after all the events, they were spaced apart. anyways.[/QUOTE]

Spaced out or not, some of those things are so SERIOUS (horses drowning, ignoring a colicing horse, leaving an 8 year old in charge)… who on EARTH would stay after they happened?!

18 Likes

I’m also based in Area 5. Ellen has been polite to me in person, but I’ve not ever done any business with her. However, I do know a lot of people who have. Ellen does not enjoy a positive reputation in this area, and I can vouch for the OP’s statements.

Furthermore, this is why you won’t find anything negative - People try to speak out and the focus is on the victim. Yes, OBVIOUSLY the OP should have moved her horses sooner, but there a lot of other factors involved.

21 Likes

[QUOTE=notsofancyeventer;8981632]
I do know for a fact the claims from the OP are true, we are a small community in the area. If you knew the OP personal as I do, you would understand as to why she didn’t just leave after all the events, they were spaced apart. anyways.[/QUOTE]

:confused::confused::confused:

Spaced far apart some how makes it OK? Do you really think that?

Would you really stay at a trainer’s barn after any one of those issues?

4 Likes

Spaced out over the course of a year. That’s like ten lifetimes worth of terrible behavior. At least.

6 Likes

I wasn’t really planning on chiming in as I think I spoke my mind pretty thoroughly recently on Facebook and I’m really not one to do so. I also hate to speak for the OP, however, being her best friend, I do know she did not feel like she had anywhere else she could go at the time. Yes, looking back, that is probably not the case, but hindsight is 20/20.

The reason people don’t speak up is for pretty much this reason though. It is so incredibly common for people to turn the tables and blame the victim. I am absolutely not saying that you should take everyone’s claim at face value, but it is hard enough to go public with something as personal as this. It makes it 1,000 times harder to have to defend yourself in the process. I completely understand that is part of it, but it is no wonder people are leery of “going public”. Yes, there are always two sides to a story, and with Ellen being an active member here hopefully she will share her side.

Knowing all of this story extremely intimately I can also say the “public apology” request was absolutely not lawsuit based or issued by a lawyer. Two of the OP’s geldings died recently in a freak pasture accident. Ellen saw fit to comment on a picture of one of them. Perhaps her intent was not malicious or meant negatively, but I lost my shit and shared my personal experiences with Ellen on Facebook. Ellen demanded a public apology from the OP hence this post.

14 Likes

Nobody has blamed anybody. They just asked a question, this is a moderated discussion board that likes to discuss ussues others share and normally shies away from naming names unless it’s public record to avoid turning into HorseshowDiva or FB.

3 Likes

I may have missed something but I think you said your horses are still being turned out in the flooding death pasture.

Are you still boarding with this person?

1 Like

I feel sorry for the OP.
First horses die, and then the person who owned the property apparently threatened to sue OP.

2 Likes

I read the OP as saying that the pasture that floods is still being used for turn-out - not that OP’s horses are still boarding or being turned out there.

There was another quite recent thread on this forum that seemed to target EDH based on something the person who started the thread had heard but not seen.

1 Like

Because let’s be real people. There are so many trainers who play some mind games and make you feel that if you EVER left them you’d be screwed. Your horses would be worse off. Your riding would suffer. You’re making a big deal out of nothing. I have your horses best interest at heart. The list goes on and on. We all know that trainer who mind effs you into staying and preying on your weaknesses to make you feel that you’re better off staying with them because your entire life would fall apart if you left. And that these things ‘just happen when you have horses.’ Until you start to add things up and realize this is, in fact, not how things go.

She’s not the first person to have left and had issues like this. There was a post not long ago about this same trainer on FB about how the person was being unreasonable because her horse was not being cared for with a significant injury and that person was being told she was being too demanding.

I personally know someone who filed a report with the USEA for this same trainer whipping her horse so significantly with a dressage whip during a ‘schooling session’ that it had welts for days. The rider was a younger lady and was terrified to intercede for fear of how she would be handled. Her concern for her horse quickly won out, she demanded she get off, loaded her horse and left.

23 Likes

flaxenfilly23
[IMG]http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/statusicon/user-online.png) Working Hunter

Join DateApr. 24, 2010Posts137 					 					 				

[h=2][IMG]http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.png)[/h] 		 				 				 		 			 				[INDENT] 					I wasn't really planning on chiming in as I think I spoke my mind  pretty thoroughly recently on Facebook and I'm really not one to do so. I  also hate to speak for the OP, however, being her best friend, I do  know she did not feel like she had anywhere else she could go at the  time. Yes, looking back, that is probably not the case, but hindsight is  20/20.

The reason people don’t speak up is for pretty much this reason though. It is so incredibly common for people to turn the tables and blame the victim. I am absolutely not saying that you should take everyone’s claim at face value, but it is hard enough to go public with something as personal as this. It makes it 1,000 times harder to have to defend yourself in the process. I completely understand that is part of it, but it is no wonder people are leery of “going public”. Yes, there are always two sides to a story, and with Ellen being an active member here hopefully she will share her side.

Knowing all of this story extremely intimately I can also say the “public apology” request was absolutely not lawsuit based or issued by a lawyer. Two of the OP’s geldings died recently in a freak pasture accident. Ellen saw fit to comment on a picture of one of them. Perhaps her intent was not malicious or meant negatively, but I lost my shit and shared my personal experiences with Ellen on Facebook. Ellen demanded a public apology from the OP hence this post. [/INDENT]

Who cares, I was threatened but I still moved IMMEDIATELY??? My only concern was my HORSE. I had to move to a western barn that wasn’t ideal, but it was safe.

Is there something i am missing? if she is that “known” then the rest of the community will know that its just that lady being “that lady”?

I don’t understand this thread. Don’t air your dirty laundry online unless you want to start something.

BLOCK HER and move on. You have to stop interacting with her. really.

I have nothing in this fight as I know none of the people but sometimes some of these situations are also found out much later or the trainer/people involved have a reason that sounds sound so bad or unforgivable at the time. Sometimes things sound way worse when written out than it seemed at the time.

But really sometimes some of these things come out later and you didn’t know right away.

2 Likes