Unlimited access >

My horrible experiences with Texas horse trainer/instructor Ellen Doughty-Hume

My question is not meant to attack the OP or anyone else.

It is simply pointing out that a story like this comes off as … well… unbelievable when you look at it from the point of view that the vast majority of people with a string of horses dying or becoming damaged to this point would rather go almost anywhere than continue to board with the person who it sounds like does not care that they died. It is not a list of little issues.

To me mind games can only go so far as a reason.
I suppose if your one and only goal is show and win then sure. But, I would think that most people, when things are going this bad, would put the health of their animals above the need to show.

4 Likes

it is so disgusting to even read a post that says “Santa came early this year!” when it is about the mistreatment and resulting death of not just one, but many horses. OP is not the only owner to have had a horse die by Ellen’s mistreatment.

Sometimes having the vantage of being outside of a situation can make things appear very obvious; looking in and living in that situation is a very different things. Horses have freak accidents, they die – and when you’re not there full time with the horses or when you’re out of the state/traveling often, it can be easy to miss the small signs until they add up to something huge.

10 Likes

hahahahahaha “verbal invisible leash” YESSSS I am totally using this the next time the 5 yr old I nanny is wild in public places!!!

3 Likes

I’ll provide a little detail, if it helps. OP has quite a few horses and spent months trying to find somewhere to take them all. The “good barns” around here all have waiting lists - she ended up moving them to barns that are over an hour apart. Its hard to find a decent barn around here that has 5+ openings, if theyre decent they dont have 2 openings, if any. Plus 2 of them are babies and another has special needs for turnout.

So, it is not so simple as “why didnt you just leave”?

Hope that clarifies.

21 Likes

To Clarify

I’ll provide a little detail, if it helps. OP has quite a few horses and spent months trying to find somewhere to take them all. The “good barns” around here all have waiting lists - she ended up moving them to barns that are over an hour apart. Its hard to find a decent barn around here that has 5+ openings, if theyre decent they dont have 2 openings, if any. Plus 2 of them are babies and another has special needs for turnout.

Hope that clarifies.

3 Likes

So the OP only stayed because she’s a bad horse owner who wanted to show and win? That’s rather unfair.

No comments on the trainer/barn or situations though.

I’ve known people to leave horrific situations similar to this (I have no knowledge if anything listed is true). They aren’t bad horse people who put “winning” above their horse, they just got into crappy situations and made decisions they later deeply regretted, or didn’t know about these things until later. I wasn’t told for MONTHS that my pasture boarded horse was not getting fed at a barn I boarded at because nobody wanted to speak up. It wasn’t until after I put my notice in that someone admitted having personal knowledge of being told to not waste money on feeding the horses in the fields.

NONE of those people have spoken publicly against the trainer and/or barn because of results just like this on this thread so other people suffer the same fate. It’s safer to stay quiet and let future people suffer instead of being vocal.

Again, I have no direct or indirect knowledge of anything going on, only my perception of similar situations and this BB’s reaction

6 Likes

“Quote Originally Posted by findeight
No matter how flat the pancake, it’s got two sides.”

With some people, those two sides look pretty much the same. Its always the same old crepe
:smiley:

7 Likes

IrishWillow
[IMG]http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/statusicon/user-online.png) Working Hunter [IMG]http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/misc/im_aim.gif)

Join DateOct. 31, 2008LocationCanton, TXPosts941 					 					 				

[h=2][IMG]http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.png) To Clarify[/h] 		 				 				 		 			 				[INDENT] 					I'll provide a little detail, if it helps. OP has quite a few  horses and spent months trying to find somewhere to take them all. The  "good barns" around here all have waiting lists - she ended up moving  them to barns that are over an hour apart. Its hard to find a decent  barn around here that has 5+ openings, if theyre decent they dont have 2  openings, if any. Plus 2 of them are babies and another has special  needs for turnout. 

Hope that clarifies. [/INDENT]

why do you have to explain to us? I don’t understand this Op and these followup defenses.

Sendenhorse, people are clarifying on OP’s behalf because people are focusing on what the victim did wrong and not what the actual criminal did wrong.

8 Likes

Correct. A lot of focus on “Why didnt you just move?” And not on the more important content.

From enjoytheride: “NONE of those people have spoken publicly against the trainer and/or barn because of results just like this on this thread so other people suffer the same fate. It’s safer to stay quiet and let future people suffer instead of being vocal.”

Describes the situation perfectly.

3 Likes

People were wondering why the OP didn’t leave sooner; having to relocate 5+ horses is an understandable reason it lasted a year. Plus a handful of items on the list of grievances is stuff that might not have been “deal breakers” but illustrate the overall lack of professionalism and poor care the trainer exhibited.

I feel sorry for the OP; that’s a lot of loss and vet bills to be swimming in. I have mixed feelings about the post, though. I think it’s important that pros be held accountable for their actions, but is this airing dirty laundry or providing a cautionary tale? I don’t know.

4 Likes

One does wonder why OP would expect this barn owner to learn from mistakes, such as to maybe NOT turn horses out in the drowning pasture anymore, considering that halfway through the post I had lost track of how many horses …5?.. OP continued to board with this person, for at least enough time for this 15 item enumerated list of transgressions to occur.

Heeyyyoooooo, my horses are dropping like flies let’s not make any changes nope.

1 Like

beowulf
[IMG]http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/statusicon/user-offline.png) Schoolmaster

Join DateApr. 13, 2008LocationMassachusettsPosts9,035 					 					 				

[h=2][IMG]http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.png)[/h] 		 				 				 		 			 				[INDENT] 					Sendenhorse, people are clarifying on OP's behalf because people  are focusing on what the victim did wrong and not what the actual  criminal did wrong. 				[/INDENT] 			

Right, but why post so much online in the first place? what is the point? I don’t understand why someone would want to put themselves in this position if the trainer is truly this nasty? I don’t understand why there is talk of an apology but then the post is all about why the trainer is awful.
I’ve been a victim too, but I got the hell away and blocked every number and page I could. Why keep engaging? just my confusion speaking here!

My point is that this is veilled as an apology mandated by the trainer, but then proceeds to bash the trainer and say all kinds of things.
The OP looks pretty dramatic too, right or wrong, you never catch me interacting with those who threaten me! i blocked them left, right, and sunday…I was also threatned, who cares? I had to do what I had to do…my horse was gone in a blaze so fast everyone took note. THEN they moved too…

![]( agree with metup- I’m just confused at this thread. why open such a pandora’s box? NEVER INTERACT WITH CRAZY. I block them left, right and sunday and never say the names. Esp when my horse got hurt and I was threatened with a lawsuit. Its just talk, mostly. But still…Don’t participate and let it go. The OP seems forced into this, which does not make sense. A lot of personal details here, makes her look a participant in the “drama dance”. I don’t have an opinion or care if its TRUE, its about staying safe and removing yourself.

<a href="http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/member.php?119491-beowulf">[B]beowulf[/B]</a> 	 
					[IMG]http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/statusicon/user-offline.png)  					 					 						Schoolmaster 					 					                                           					 					 						 							     						

Join DateApr. 13, 2008LocationMassachusettsPosts9,035 					 					 				

[h=2][IMG]http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.png)[/h] 		 				 				 		 			 				[INDENT] 					Sendenhorse, people are clarifying on OP's behalf because people  are focusing on what the victim did wrong and not what the actual  criminal did wrong. 				[/INDENT]

I’m not sure why y’all are fixating on the OP not leaving when we could be discussing the Majikal Invisible Verbal Leash that is apparently horse show legal. :lol:

7 Likes

https://www.facebook.com/stormy.daniels.1/posts/10154269622601483

And please be sure to read the comments to her OP.

This thread is getting a lot of House guests!

1 Like

This thread makes me realize why it’s so incredibly difficult to report rape.

So much victim blaming going on.

32 Likes