Unlimited access >

My New Job! Update

I’m so sorry. She sounds like a complete turd.

3 Likes

I applaud and admire your grace in this situation. That said, I don’t think the attorney is right and their are easy modifications…diaper pad, plastic chair w Clorox wipes, etc. That manager is a creep without a doubt. If you don’t wish to pursue this, I understand. For the sake of others following you, you may want to call whomever that Humane Society reports to-a board of directors, or someone. (You can pm me private info and I would make the call for you - well, that is assuming I can figure that out on the new format.) You are right-I know you would be a fabulous employee and it really is their loss.

7 Likes

I agree with this as well. Even if you wouldn’t want to work there knowing what a witch the manager is, she should be reported. Otherwise they will continue to get away with this illegal behavior. There was no need to let you go for such a small accident, and it isn’t a legitimate option to offer you a job that you cannot physically perform.

I’m so sorry that it didn’t work out as planned.

3 Likes

You are all working in an animal shelter, are you telling me the workers aren’t constantly being exposed to urine and feces from them? What’s the big deal? I think you should pursue this with another lawyer, this one doesn’t appear to be on your side. And yes, you deserve the chance to show that this is a very rare occurrence and big deal, a little urine won’t kill anyone.

8 Likes

I filed an ADA complaint on-line today. Regardless of what happens, it made me feel like I was standing up for myself.

So thank you to everyone who pushed for it.
Sheilah

16 Likes

At the very least it’ll put them on notice that they can’t treat someone like that. I can’t believe people that work with animals have so little compassion.

7 Likes

Good, coming late to the thread, but glad to hear that you made a stand, and if that’s as far as it goes, that’s a shame, but you fought for yourself…

4 Likes

Good for you, and good luck!

2 Likes

Good for you! I’m SO very glad you did that. I also agree w everything BAC said. Not all lawyers are created equal.

Now you need to decide what you will do, depending on the outcome of your case.

Do you want the job back? Understand the manager can make your life miserable.
Do you plan to just accept the decision and walk away? Will you sue?
If someone calls you to discuss the case, will you talk to them via phone or email?
just a few things to think about, in advance.

1 Like

No, I do not want the job back. I do want them to know that they have to follow the rules like every other business. My hope is that they get a little training on ADA and how that covers stuff like peeing your pants because of having no bladder control due to a spinal cord injury just as much as it covers having doorways wide enough to accommodate wheelchairs.

I do not want to work there. The manager was very nit picky with everyone. I will not sue. I will absolutely talk to whomever might call.
Sheilah

5 Likes

Late to thread but wow…what a sh**ty thing to do to you. And to not even TRY to understand where you are coming from. But you are right. Their loss. Too bad because you sound like you would have been great. I know that I could never ever ever do that job. I know you will find something even better. Big old Hug (not too hard) for you!!!

1 Like

I wouldn’t want to work for someone like that either, but I’m sure proud of you for filing a complaint. There is a small possibility she will be investigated and potentially fired, so keep your eye on them. I’ve seen it happen before!

4 Likes

Holy moly OP! I know I’m late to this thread, but I’m glad you filed a complaint. I can’t believe the behavior. I hope you find a job you will enjoy soon with people who value you.

1 Like

Well, I want to know: How can you be kind to animals when you can’t be kind to other people? I’m confused… :thinking:

6 Likes

Oddly enough, I have been inundated with work possibilities over the last week. Including one position that perfectly marries my children’s mental health work and my teaching experience.

That said, I have learned my lesson about counting my chickens and all that. So I will wait to make an announcement. I have two prospects waiting. One includes a pre-school teacher position that will grow into a kindergarten position next year.

So that whole thing about a door closing so another can open? Too true!
Sheilah

16 Likes

What uplifting news for all of us! Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

I wish I could give that more than 1 heart!

1 Like

I have an offer letter in my hand! Teaching in a day treatment program for an adolescent recovery unit (addiction and emotionally disturbed,1 class of each per day, 5-7 students in each class).

Fingers crossed that my back ground check and references come back okay and that I don’t wet myself this time. Orientation is next Monday and then I start training on the 14th.
Sheilah

13 Likes

Crossing my fingers as well!!!

1 Like