Unlimited access >

Names for chestnut mare?

Okay, so I’m sure that this question has been asked a million times, but I’m currently about to purchase a chestnut mare. Right now her barn name is Molly, however, I don’t think that this really suits her. I do tend to like more elegant or unique names but any are welcome! Also show names would be great as well, they don’t have to relate to the barn name but it would be nice if they did :slight_smile: Thanks!

Sophie Tucker. Last of the Red Hot Mommas.
Google it.

My chestnut mare’s name was Imaginique. I love the name. I really loved the mare and still miss her. :cry:
I’ve known a Flair and a Flame. I have a hard time picking names myself so that’s all I’ve got.

1 Like

Wait a few days if you Can, so you can get to know her a bit first. I re named mine (the name she came with was PICKLES! UGH) but I wish I had waited a little bit because the name I picked is kinda… meh. But she knows it and everyone knows that’s her name and I can’t really change it now. Sierra.

Her show name is fun though - Wild Child. She was mostly feral when I bought her, so I picked it before I even decided I was buying her. Now it’s extra hilarious because she is the exact opposite of wild.

But yeah, if you can hold out until you get to know her a bit better you’ll probably be happier with the name you choose.

1 Like

For showing: Unsinkable (Molly Brown)
Then keep Molly as her barn name.

Not sure it would be discipline-appropriate, but you didn’t say what she’ll be doing :cool:

4 Likes

I knew a lovely chestnut mare once called Red Fashion

3 Likes

She will be used mainly as a Hunter once she’s had some training :slight_smile:

That’s a good idea, I’ve visited her a few times but I agree with waiting until you find a name that suits the horse perfectly

I like Molly Brown! :slight_smile:

Also Girl on Fire, if you’re a Hunger Games fan. Barn name Katniss/Kat.

1 Like

Vivian like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman :slight_smile:

1 Like

My chestnut mare is Ariel. She came with the name. As many have suggested, get to know her and she will tell you her name.

1 Like

Pick a name you like or you’ll end up like me, referring to your horse as “Miss Thing” or “butthead” more than you use her actual name. Or Thing-a-ling… yeah I wish I had waited longer.

my dog, though, we went through about 400 names to pick one we liked. I loooooove his name. You’ll know when you get It! Think about what sounds you like in a name - I like 2 syllable names that end in a long e sound, like Julie or Darby or Oakley- my dog has a name that follows this structure. Sierra does not.

If I ever move far away again I’m going to change my mares name. Might as well.

Depending on the mares personality of course but I like the name Sauce. As in saucy like a hot red sauce. And I can stand by this as I have a red Spanish Arab mare named Catalina.

1 Like

Blossom like Cheryl Blossom on Riverdale :slight_smile: I have a chestnut mare also, Penny. Shes very copper - so the name just fit.

2 Likes

What is wrong with Molly? Is she registered? What is her registered name?

Hunters have certain names that fit them, so do eventers. I like respectful names and names that do not perpetuate the myth about chestnut mares. A hunter has an elegant name befitting such an animal. (No suggestions, tho).

1 Like

Firefly

My chestnut mare’s barn name is Daphne. Registered name is Delphia. Most of the time I call her Daph, Daph Attack, and various other “R” rated names depending on the day. She is a hunter.

My aunt almost called me Pickles because I was named after her and she didn’t want to be call “Old” or “Big” so I go by my middle name to avoid being called Pickles. LOL

My red head was Hope, or more affectionately “Beth’s B*tch” it was fitting

I agree taking your time, but not too long people at the barn will start calling her something. I think I am stuck with Tank because that is what everyone knows him as now.

Gotta vote for RED HOT MAMA for her show name. Think it would be awesome and fun. Sophie as barn name.