Nearly over it all.......having a pity party...

Lets see, history of bad knees, both have had meniscus trimmed, and yucky bits scraped…now waiting for surgeon visit, for Righty, who is complaining , love Canada Health, but you have to be patient…

I know I have a traumatic amputation of part of the meniscus…so I guess at least a trim and another scrape…I also know that the arthritis is back…it has been giving more and more trouble over time, but now it is getting so painful…have been managing on a couple of Naproxen a day, that’s no longer cutting it…SIGH. The winter arrived, with snow and temps well below freezing which hasn’t helped. Actually riding doesn’t hurt, dismounting does, and I REALLY pay for it later in the day…

Until I get to see the surgeon I don’t know what he will suggest, I know the guy who last fixed it said he had done all he could, and I may get 5 years out of it before needing a new knee, well 6 years has passed! Thinking about it though, I don’t get to see him until 29th…then I fly out to England for a month 2 weeks later, so can’t see him doing anything in that time frame…I’m guessing Feb or March for surgery…

I’m thinking IF he offers a replacement, I’m going to be out of the saddle for 2 or 3 months I guess, that means not being show ready until the middle of the year! Would it be bad to ask if its possible to do a quick fix, another trim and scrape, that would get me comfortable again for a while…maybe until this time next year, would rather be down when it’s to damn cold to ride anyway.

Yeah, just fed up and hurting here, need kick in the butt, or jingles, or ides for pain relief…

Can’t say much other than feeling sorry along with you.

Maybe the Drs will have other options for you that fit what you have to do better.

If not, guess that perhaps grin and bear it again?

People I know that had a knee replacement, every one of them, say they wish they had done it sooner, it was such a relief.

2 Likes

Also check your diet. Inflammation and pain are extremely closely related.

Any suggestions? I haven’t noticed any links, but willing to try anything at the moment

it just kinda varies from person to person. I do best when I don’t eat much in the way of bread/cereal and corn, although hubby seems to do fine. Milk products can be inflammatory in some people, so maybe try to cut them out for a couple weeks. It’s harder in winter, because of all the comfort food everywhere, but it can make a huge difference in some people.

1 Like

Do you dismount using a mounting block? That is a must for me. Horsey gladly obliges me. It saves lots of wear and tear on legs and back.

For non-medicinal pain relief, you could try a TENS unit. Have you tired Voltaren gel directly on said knee?

I sympathize. I have had chronic tailbone pain for years. 2 years ago it escalated to where sitting in the saddle was very painful. Started the workup all over AGAIN. I had extensive workup and injections in 2011 only to be told “we don’t know”. Muddled along until escalation in 2015. Up to then I was fine riding for 30-60 minutes as long as I didn’t ride consecutive days. Finally I was diagnosed with a spur on my tailbone. In my 5-10 minutes of reading on the internet that is what I suspected all along but could get no docs to do the same 5 minutes of searching:(. I had the tailbone and it’s attendant tail removed this April. I still find riding uncomfortable :disillusionment:although everything I read said to allow 12-18 months to get the best you are going to get. I am now nearing 7 months and my patience is wearing thin. Being winter, I will continue to groom horsey and do what groundwork I can but I may sell her next spring/summer. She is a low mileage model:lol:.

Sometimes…:sigh:. Jingles you can get a satisfactory resolution.

Susan

1 Like

Sending Jingles & AO ~ ((hugs))

• never underestimate the benefits of ‘icing’ after ‘over use’ abuse or just daily activity ~ certainly not going to ‘fix’ but can help immensely with pain management ~ IMHO
2 Likes

I don’t know if my knees are as bad as yours, but i keep walking with 1000 mg MSM and 1000 mg GNC vegetarian glucosamine daily. Without these my knees are painful and my right gets swollen and painful. With them my knees feel good. This has been the case for several years.

1 Like

I can’t do the dismount onto the block, just can’t! I do the slide down.

I will have to try the Gel.

• never underestimate the benefits of ‘icing’ after ‘over use’ abuse or just daily activity ~ certainly not going to ‘fix’ but can help immensely with pain management ~ IMHO

I will have to start icing again!

I don’t know if my knees are as bad as yours, but i keep walking with 1000 mg MSM and 1000 mg GNC vegetarian glucosamine daily. Without these my knees are painful and my right gets swollen and painful. With them my knees feel good. This has been the case for several years.

Can’t hurt to try, and I keep looking at my old mares Antiflam and wondering if that is worth a try…I take Turmeric, didn’t know if was doing any good, until I ran out…then I found it was helping.

Really? It isn’t that hard. I mount and dismount from the block on the right side! I started that when my right hip was bad. Now that it is replaced, I still get on that way even though I don’t have to. It can be learned. I thought you wanted tactics to help you knees last longer?

Susan

Look, I’m sorry, you don’t get to tell me what is hard and what isn;t, I was raised believing that it was dangerous to dismount on the block, the one time I tried it after my accident I very nearly wiped out, so believe me, although I appreciate all and every suggestion, this is one that I simply cannot follow up.

The worst part of the dismount for me is getting my leg to swing over, after that I am good to control my slide to the ground, and can give myself a soft landing.

I get that it’s hard to dismount to a block. I have done it post-hip and shoulder replacement, but it’s scary. It’s the whole idea of not kicking free of both stirrups and sort of "searching"for the block with your free foot.

1 Like

I saw other recommendations for MSM and Tens units and those could be great options. My mother in law started taking MSM after I suggested and has been thrilled with the results. I regularly use a Tens unit when I have a back pain flare up but my mother in law has had to go beyond that and we got her a Quell. It is a leave on all the time kind of version of a Tens unit. She has multiple medical issues that are painful and the Quell really has helped the pain spikes. Have you a water therapy facility nearby? You could try to build up the muscles around your knees to support the failings of everything else?

2 Likes

That does sound scary…I hadn’t thought of the issues post surgery as well. There is a huge wooden block by the outdoor…currently getting buried by snow…the top of it is level with my stirrup, I wonder if I ask very nicely if they could haul that indoors for the winter?

1 Like

OK. I’ve never thought of dismounting at the block as dangerous. I trained the heck out of my horse before I even started her to swing over to the fence or a block and have never felt that it is dangerous. Sometime I dismount on the fence too. Much more problematic for me to continue to have repeated concussion on my arthritic joints (feet, knees and back:dead:). I do use a tall 3-step block which helps.

I would ask if they can move the big block indoors. It would help it last longer if it were indoors out of the weather;).

Susan

KBC,

Notes from an old, fat, crippled rider -

I was back on a horse at 4 weeks out after both my total knees, so I think your estimate of 2 to 3 months is a little extreme.

Did I kinda push to be back in the tack at 4 weeks? Yeah, but at 6 weeks, I was perfectly comfortable - no reason for me not to be riding at 6 weeks. And my most recent knee replacement was easier (March of this year), because the protocol with the local nerve block means getting up and walking after the surgery is much easier.

If they offer you a total knee, TAKE IT. I wish I had both of mine done sooner. The relief is freaking amazing. Look at it this way - you KNOW you’re going to have to have a total knee at some point, right? That’s the direction this is going? Why put yourself through 2 surgeries, the scraping and cleaning now and then the TKR later? Just have the TKR and be done with it.

I have mounted from, and dismounted onto a block for years. Dismounting to the ground was actually more painful and difficult than mounting. The trick for me, is to have a really tall block - mine comes up to the bottom of my stirrup, so I just ride up to it and put my left foot on it - no horrible suspended in air, foot searching for the block feeling. Another thing is that the block needs to be big and stable - meaning that there’s a large flat surface to stand on, rather than a narrow step and that it doesn’t wiggle or move. If I didn’t have that type of block and if I didn’t dismount onto the block, there’s no way I could have started back at 4 weeks. ETA: I get that this might be a “no go” option for you; but wanted to offer my experience.

The Volaren gel is great for local topical relief. However, it counts towards your daily intake of NSAIDs, so if you use it, you may have to adjust your other meds. Since I have so many other arthritis and injury issues, the oral NSAIDs are the way to go for me. YMMV.

TENS units are wonderful for certain kinds of pain, but they are mostly palliative, not therapeutic. You could conceivably ride with the TENS unit, but I think it would be difficult to manage with a knee - one of the pads and electrodes would have to be on the inside of the knee. I would consider using a TENS for my back as I’m trying to avoid surgery, but the real, honest to god truth is - my back doesn’t hurt when I’m riding. When I’m standing and walking, getting ready to ride or putting the horses away, it hurts like a MF. But while I’m riding, I hardly notice it. So I’m not sure the TENS would be worth it for me, for my back.

If you have tons of knee pain AFTER you ride, might be worth considering.

In re: ice. I have one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke…l_93pil2l2bj_e

They used to routinely send you home from the hospital with them in the US, but they don’t any more because some idiot somewhere didn’t follow the directions and gave themselves tissue damage.

I LOVE this thing, and Mr. McGurk and I have both used it on various body parts. I put the blue icee things in the cooler rather than actual ice, and do 20 minutes on/20 minutes off in the evenings in front of the TV. So much easier to use than an ice pack! Makes a big difference in pain, swelling and range of motion.

You can find them cheaper on ebay. I’m on my second or third hose and cuff; I have slap worn them out.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

1 Like

Google the anti-inflammatory diet. Quite intriguing.

1 Like

@McGurk Thanks so much for that great post, I was taking my estimate for getting back in the saddle from reading elsewhere, it’s great to see that it CAN be done sooner with no issue. You know I have a cryocuff somewhere, I think it’s on loan…why haven’t I thought of that before :o I used to freeze 500ml bottles of water to put in the container…

@CorazonLock will do some research thanks…

1 Like

So, being more pro active, less pity…

Have requested and got agreement for large block to be brought inside for winter…will practice using it for dismounting, and I LOVE it for mounting, win win.

Have located the Cryo Cuff, and getting it back. Trying the Voltaren gel at night, seems to help, and have ordered another BOT brace, so I can always have one handy…15 days and counting until I get to see the Surgeon and come up with a plan.

3 Likes

Mounting blocks are great for horse’s backs also.
No saddle twisting as the rider gets on.

I agree that getting off on the block is a little more tricky.
Hoping your practice pays off and that too goes smoothly.

Good luck with the surgery.

1 Like