Unlimited access >

Need a dog

They want to breed this dog repeatedly. . I thank you for finding her and I would have wanted her but not this outrageous situation and she is not a breeding quality dog. Pretty sad.
We all need to be careful about people like this.

Have you actually contacted them about the dog? I don’t think they were placing her as a Guardian situation (breeding bitch). That is the next section down. I think that she is just an an available adult they are rehoming and if she doesn’t work out you need to send her back to them.

5 Likes

They actually sound like very responsible breeders. The bitch in the picture wasn’t even bred by them.

3 Likes

Walker, I think you misunderstood the info about the last female. This breeder is just trying to help re-home this dog. They didn’t breed her.

3 Likes

Agreed - the bitch in the picture wasn’t bred by them.

Although, I would generally tell people to use extreme caution with any breeder that uses “guardian homes.” That is not a trend that reputable breeders use.

Co-ownership, possibly. But that typically is to prevent unwanted breeding. Guardian homes are explicitly for the breeder to use because they want to be able to breed multiple bitches without the expense of owning them. Co-ownership rarely involves the breeder using the bitch without the consent and agreement of the other owner(s) - AND some form of compensation.

1 Like

No RRs but good people with nice dogs and a fine rescue.

https://dannyronsrescue.org/dogs?

2 Likes

I also have run into several rescue batshitcrazy organizations - local and out of town.
Thank goodness they showed themselves before a bad placement was made. I know there must be good rescues, however I was unsuccessful in locating one for my life.

I contacted my attorney and had him to ask around if there might be a dog who’s owner had passed away looking for a new home - these placements handled the the owner’s will. While this also did not produce ‘my dog’ , this might be an avenue to explore.

Good Luck Jingles Don’t Give Up !

2 Likes

Had a Ridgeback for years - great all around dog and she got on extremely well with the horses. Mine came from a RESPONSIBLE breeder (e.g., not a puppy mill) in Springfield, MO and was a blood relative, same breeding, of a barn friend’s Ridgeback, which is how I knew that this breed would be good around horses. FYI almost all purebred dog breeders have some sort of rescue/owner surrender setup so if you are committed to finding a rehomed Ridgeback you might consider networking with breeders to figure out who is doing breed rescue.

I’m not against pitbulls (I had a wonderful pittie years ago, the only dog my old stallion would tolerate) but unfortunately there is strong breed prejudice among homeowner insurance and farm insurance underwriters so you are probably wise to avoid a pittie for that reason alone.

3 Likes

I agree w/ others about the difficulty dealing with rescues. And usually one of the first questions is if your property is fenced so the dog can’t run off. Some even demand high fences that aren’t climbable. Then some refuse you a young dog if you’re over a certain age. Lots of roadblocks to getting a rescue.
On the other hand, shelters in my area don’t ask anything. No screening at all. If you want the dog, it’s yours. They do make it easy, which is why I’ve gotten my last 2 there.

Walker60, there’s a nice dog out there waiting for you, I hope you can find it.

2 Likes

Any new ideas for finding a good dog, not a puppy. I have spent 5 hours looking at rescues, org. SPCA ,facebook and nothing . There was one article that suggested that when the gov. starts allowing evictions the humane societies will be bursting. How sad is that but it rang true.
Really just to let folks know I am still hunting for a forever dog, afraid this will be my last dog so yes has to be smart and happy. No pit bulls , no labs and never a later dodle or golden retriever .Yes must like horses and running free.
Yep looking for a DOG.
thanks
NC
lonely lady

@walkers60 I’m so sorry you’re having such a tough time with this. I miss my dog who I lost last May terribly. I spent September through December applying through rescue after rescue to no avail. Every time I was told how demand is high for pandemic puppies it was like salt in my wounds. We eventually gave up and went the breeder route because the rescue process was incredibly depressing.

What I did learn along the way was that with the rescues that I could actually talk to a person and make a real human connection, I felt like we would have eventually gotten the right dog. I was really disappointed by the many rescues who would take my online application (and quite often, $ to go with the application) and never hear from again. I think if you can find a rescue that you can make a personal connection with you will have better luck. I think many of the rescues are very inflexible in their process, and I’m sure there are lots of good reasons for it, but it can make adoption difficult. I hope you find your dog soon.

3 Likes

If you are on FB (i don’t remember far enough back in the thread to know if you are or aren’t) we are getting a some ridgebacks and ridgeback mixes in adoptable performance dogs. If you wanted to PM me your email address I would be happy to copy/paste pics and contact information for the promising ones to you if you wanted.

One of my co-workers in NYC tried to get a dog and couldn’t. His parents live in Tennessee so when he was visiting them over the holidays he got a dog from a local animal shelter. If you can travel, it might be worth trying that route - especially if you have any connections in places where shelters have dogs like in some southern states.

in my breed there are a lot of show/performance breeders with litters on the ground. Doubtfully most puppies are already spoken-for, but i’m amazed at how many women i know are breeding now. I guess they have the time now because of covid.

Sometimes municipal-run shelters are easier to get dogs from, as many don’t have ‘applications’ to fill out. Rather, it is ‘the first person with the money…’ They may or may not do health check-ups, and may or may not spay/neuter pets before adoption.

I adopted a dog and two kittens from two different small municipal shelters. The first DID have an application, but it was simple, and the worker called my current vet asking, “Do you consider her a good pet owner?” I was approved, and a local animal support group gave me a certificate to reimburse me for having my dog spayed.

The second, an even smaller shelter, had a local vet who was a great believer in spaying/neutering, and I got my two kittens for $8.00 each! The two-hour drive was worth it to get Abby and Ziva.

The downside about municipal shelters is sometimes they CAN’T keep an animal indefinitely. IF you go that way and find an animal you like, I would call immediately, give them a definite date you will get the animal, and, maybe, pre-pay.

3 Likes

Can you mention the facebook page and I’l have a friend look at it for me. She is a old friend and professional dog trainer and I trust her judgement, She also is facebook savvy.
Thanks
I did try PM but failed as I am still not using this new forum correctly. Lets see I’ve been here since 2000 and it used to be simple.

Adoptable performance dogs is one I am on… Can’t remember others right now. Rehomed show dogs. Or something along those lines.

There’s a FAQ with tips about the new site here:

You sent me a PM around the time you started this thread, and responded. Seemed to work okay for you then? What problems are you having now?

1 Like

walkers60 if you’re still searching for a young RR, check out this one on Petfinder. He’s in Fayetteville NC at Cumberland County Animal Services. Nice looking dog.

1 Like

Thanks Maria I will check him out. Yes still looking actually for healthy young dog with no pitt in them.