Hello everyone! Hoping to pull on the collective COTH wisdom. My husband and I finally are almost to a place we will get to choose where we live for the first time ever. I work remotely, and he is in the medical field so will be able to find a job in most locations. We are both from Maryland, but looking for a bit warmer and less populated option. Hoping you all can help shed some light on some possible options and help expand my list of locations to investigate? We are going to go visit each of these locations of course, but I don’t want to miss a potential option, and I know you all are much more traveled than I am!
List of wants
- Relatively close to one or more hospitals
- A bit warmer than MD
- A strong horse community - preferably with a local foxhunt, but if not then a good eventing community
- Small/mid-size town feel, with decent infrastructure
- Husband would like to be close to the ocean, but I can sell him on any body of water larger than a puddle
- Relatively affordable COL. MD is just a bit too expensive and a bit too congested
Places we are considering from most attractive to least
Aiken - Missing puddles of water, but everything else just looks adorable. I have never been there, but it looks like we could get a small farmet for a decent price? Any pros/cons of living their full time?
Southern Pines - Really don’t know much about this one
Somewhere outside of Charleston? I don’t know much about the area
Myrtle Beach SC - Doesn’t seem to be a lot of horse people there?
Fair Hill area/Christiana DE
Potentially eastern shore of MD/Wicomico
I also don’t know much about southern VA, but I assume it would be a similar climate to MD. Interesting in thoughts if anyone thinks somewhere down there would be a good option?
I appreciate any help or thoughts you can provide; I am crossing my fingers the COTH wisdom won’t laugh at me for this one .