Unlimited access >

Need advice - Best place to live GA/SC/NC/VA/DE

Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations, this has been really helpful to read through. I grew up trailering in to Fair Hill, but lived around the DC area, I would almost say FH is a bit more rural than we are looking for. And cold :slight_smile: Iā€™ve hunted with Wicomico a few times, they have always been very welcoming.

We are hoping to buy a farmette, and have a very decent budget so that isnā€™t a determining factor. Also open to boarding if I canā€™t find something I love. Iā€™ve just been in a horse desert for so many years I feel like a kid in a candy shop, actually getting to choose where we settle.

Fire ants are definitely something to keep in mind. I still have nightmares of getting them in my tall boots in Florida.

Looks like I need to add Tryon to the list, I didnā€™t realize it was that built up.

Really appreciate everyoneā€™s thoughts, this has been very helpful.

Southern Pines, Aiken, and Tryon I think I am going to go out and visit. Can definitely get more bang for your buck in Aiken, there are a lot of adorable farmettes in our price range. Iā€™ll look into the locations you all have mentioned when I go to visit, very helpful to have some knowledgeable help instead of going in completely blind.
Thanks again, I am sure I will be back with more questions once I go exploring.

1 Like

You know, also, if you donā€™t mind the heat and only getting mildly cold weather (like, maybe 30 degrees a few nights a year) Ocala would fit everything you want.
Major town, multiple hospitals (including, if you plan your home right, being in between Ocala and Gainesville)

Extremely strong horse community of pretty much every sport.

Ocala is a true small city, but several of the outlying towns are smaller and the whole area doesnā€™t feel huge like Baltimore or DC.

50 minutes to the ocean, less to a boat ramp for the interconnected waterways to the ocean or lake Roussaeu. Or go to one of the many springs or lakes in the area.

Property and such is still cheaper than Maryland. Horse keeping isnā€™t. Hay is expensive, but it is in Aiken or SP too.

2 Likes

I can help - Iā€™m horsey and have a husband also in the medical field that likes water. I donā€™t do cold weather at all.

Skip Myrtle Beach. Not horsey enough.

Charleston could be an option. There is a small equestrian scene and I have one horse there currently. Have access to vet/farrier/trainers but itā€™s limited. The restaurants/shopping/amenities are the best you will find in SC and stunning water views everywhere, plus beaches and ocean. Easy access to hospitals. However the population has exploded over the past 10 years or so. It is very busy and land is very expensive. The land in the low country is also not ideal for horse keeping. For those reasons we chose not to live there full time.

Aiken is an eventers paradise. The equestrian amenities canā€™t be beat. Excellent show grounds, trainers, vets, etc. Land is still affordable and great for horse keeping. My husband would not be happy with the hospitals and lack of water though. I also donā€™t love the actual town of Aiken but the equestrian property and Hitchcock woods may make up for it. I enjoy showing there and love to stay/eat at the Wilcox. Worth a visit.

Tryon is beautiful but too cold for me, however may be mild compared to what you are used to. Easy commute to Greenville/Spartanburg for hospitals. Top notch vets, trainers, farriers. Also worth a visit.

Consider Camden SC. Great fox hunting community. Access to vets, farriers & trainers that are good but not quite to the level as Aiken/Tryon. Cheap land good for horses and low COL. Access to Lake Wateree. Husband would have to commute to Columbia or Florence for good hospitals (about 45 minutes). Charming but VERY small town. Ultimately too small town for me but worth a visit, if only to visit The Tack Room (trust me on this).

In the end, my husband and I ended up settling in a mid size town that isnā€™t horsey but with a good hospital system. I am just close enough to Camden that the vets/farriers will come to me but I have to commute to train there. We are close enough to Lake Wateree and the beach which satisfies my husband. We still enjoy low cost of living, no traffic, and very mild winters. We all compromised a bit but it worked out well for us. Good Luck!

*an edit to say donā€™t underestimate the heat and humidity in Camden/Aiken/Charleston. Make sure you ok trading a mild winter in exchange for a brutal summer (I love heat so itā€™s not a problem for me, but some do not do well in it). If thatā€™s an issue, look more at Tryon and Southern Pines.

2 Likes

Look up Newnan, GA. Great small town feel but with city amenities. There are wonderful restaurants, shopping and a good horse community. You can fox hunt with Bear Creek hounds, several hunter paces. Chattahoochee Hills eventing is minutes and Poplar Place is an hour or hour and a half. You can find land but it is getting pricey, similar to other areas. Good vets and you are an hour from Auburn Vet school. Plenty of alfalfa, orchard, or Timothy is shipped in.

3 Likes

Maybe too cold in the winter, but what about Charlottesville VA for the rest of your list (rivers instead of ocean)?

1 Like

Heartily second all of this, especially the visit to The Tack Room

2 Likes

Exactly. I was in Aiken in mid-late Sept and it was bloody hot and humid. I had thought if I moved to Aiken (before visiting,) Iā€™d probably not ride for the summer. When I found out summer was at least 4 months long, it was a no.

Iā€™m still working on moving to Roanoke, VA; my horses will actually be in Blacksburg. The farm manager told me itā€™s windy there, which sounds good for the summer to me. I looked at last winter in Roanoke and saw it rarely stays below freezing in the daytime. Some snow, but how long can it last? Though, go up in the mountains a bit and the story may change. Within 3-4 hours of Roanoke, there are USEA events March to November; Aiken is 5 hours away if I want to event in January.

3 Likes

To cut off some travel time, I would look in Salem for a place to live. The prices seem better anyway. I really miss that area, I went to college near there. If I ever moved back to Virginia, then Salem/Roanoke would be the only place Iā€™d live.

1 Like

I donā€™t live in Roanoke, but my family does. Yes, they get some snow and ice but it doesnā€™t usually last more than a few days. Winter there lasts about 2 months. Iā€™d move there in a heartbeat if I could.

1 Like

This isnā€™t a great area for jumpers. I think northern VA or NC, SC are much better for that. You can get to several recognized events in two hours or less from here, but Iā€™m scratching my head trying to think of where the closest rated jumper show may be. NoVA? PA?

We have several schooling show series, and sometimes they have jumper classes. But if youā€™re serious about competing, I think youā€™d find them a bit lacking.

2 Likes

I was hunting for housing in SW Roanoke due to where most of the barns are. The Blacksburg barn was my 2nd choice and yes, Salem would be closer. But someone tipped me off to a 2BR apartment for $925/month; thatā€™ll save $200-300 a month at least. Not the biggest apt, but Iā€™ll probably need a storage unit no matter what moving from house with 3 car garage and stable at home.

If I end up buying a place I know Iā€™d rather be near I-81 access or off 220 rather than the twisty 116 or 221.

1 Like

Aiken is probably your best bet. I think southern pines and tryon are cold. Also Raleigh- thereā€™s a lot of money there and a strong horse community there too and the populous to support horse business, and Charlotte- nice barns that honestly go to aiken to show every weekend. If you want water - Charleston.

1 Like

I would avoid anywhere that might have a hurricane evacuation required. Even if you have your own trailer thatā€™s big enough to haul your horse, feed, and equipment, the roads can get clogged.

6 Likes

Aiken is definitely my top pick at the moment. Southern Pines and Tryon are on the list as well. I have added Charlette NC, Greensboro, Newnan GA, the eastern shore of MD, and possibly Ocala.
Iā€™ll have to investigate Raleigh, that one didnā€™t come up in my search, thanks!
Definitely attempting to avoid hurricane and/or swampland.
Really appreciate everyoneā€™s help with my ever-changing list!

Northeast Georgia would fit your requirements. Not stinking/sweaty/buggy hot, and not too cold. Fantastic Hospital in Gainesville. UGA vet school in Athens. Shakerag Hounds in Hull. There is still some reasonably priced property available too. Take you pick between mountains, lakes and flatland. Eventer-H/J-Dressage people all over the place.

3 Likes

I have linked an article from Army Times, talking about the VA hospitals slated for closure, and Salem is on the list. So, if anyone moves there for a VA job, renting might be a good option.

However, a clinic in Roanoke is slated to be either built, or remodeled.

1 Like

Take a look at the north side of Columbus, GA. There are two hospitals near each other in town. There is a foxhunt (Midland Foxhounds) with an active Pony Club, and lots of eventing with Poplar Place Farm (Hamilton) and Training Center at Big Bear (Pine Mountain). And Auburn University is close by for veterinary help.

I am a youngish working professional and I live in Aiken and love it. I have been here 7 years when I took a job up here and all my horse needs are met and then some! The town of Aiken is a wonderful community with lots of good places to eat and there are plenty of us working middle class here and its been a great move.

3 Likes

Taxes;

http://www.tax-rates.org/georgia/property-tax

Hello everyone! Just wanted to update and thank everyone for their advice. After visiting and interviewing at all of the locations above, we signed a job contract in Southern Pines/Pinehurst. After watching the insane farmette housing market for the last few months, we will most likely rent for the first few months while we find something to buy (does anyone have any tips on relocating to the area?). Doing further research there also doesnā€™t seem to be big boarding barns in the area since most have their horses at home? This is definitely going to be a change for us, but we are excited to leave the horse desert we currently reside in! Thanks again for the thoughts and posts, you all have helped tremendously.

Who would have thought the alligator population would play into our choice? My husband developed a sudden, unexplained fear of the large creatures coming miles inland, climbing fences and eating our dog. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes