Unlimited access >

Need help reading score sheet comments . . .see photo UPDATE #41

Ohhh - no halt in that movement - its just free-med walk.

How about ‘good attempt, but lazy. Must be balanced in trans’ ?

Email it back to secretary/show organizer—they will know who was on scribe duty for that ring & they should be able to clarify (& also politely learn that their scribbles are not universally legible…)

6 Likes

Yes, I agree to this. This show needs to know the competitors can’t read this scribe’s hand writing.

2 Likes

There is no halt in that movement.

And that would be incorrect because accepting contact of the legs is accepting the aids and if a horse doesn’t accept the aids it doesn’t get top marks.

I sort of looks like an equal sign under the G of “legs”

Good attempt but legs must be balanced = (equally?) on horse

1 Like

I’ll play. I see: “Good attempt but by _____ is backward in hand”

That “_____” is a doozy. By X? By corner? But I could see this as a good free walk, but when the reins are picked up the horse maybe sucks back a little? (trying to envision this in my head)

Good attempt, but leg must be back and on horse.

1 Like

:joy: This is like reverse Mad Libs or something.

I wasn’t initially convinced that that mystery word (circled in green) is “leg,” but now I think it is. I think the earlier comments were “canter needs energy and leg.”

I agree with “Good attempt but legs must be back and on horse.” It’s kind of an odd comment. I feel like there are usually more relevant things to comment on in the free walk than where the rider’s legs are. But :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

It is odd to think that a judge would comment on equitation. That said, I cannot even decipher the comment made prior to the one in question. “Leaning … something.” Any thoughts?

And congrats Rider for a good test.

1 Like

Don’t flog the scribe. Or the venue for using her/him. It can be hard to find people to scribe, especially people that ride dressage and understand the terminology. And even if you understand what the judge is saying there usually is not a lot of time to get everything written down, much less legibly. Sometimes if they are not that experienced they write down what they thought the judge was saying, not what the judge was actually saying. We did have someone in our GMO that ALWAYS volunteered first before anybody else did. However she was in a physical decline and nobody could read what little she had written down. It was sad because nobody had the heart to tell her no.

However in big venues this is probably not an issue. I have no idea what that comment was.

3 Likes

“Leaning in of rider?” (Maybe trying to weight inside seatbone?)

I read a lot of medical records at my job “good attempt but leg must be back and on horse” is what I see. Not a dressage judge so I leave it to others to comment about why a judge might say that… but that’s what I see in the writing.

2 Likes

I’m beginning to understand why I’m in demand as a scribe. :smile:

Every judge has commented “Oh, and I can read your handwriting!”

8 Likes

It is hard to imagine someone volunteering to scribe if they know that their handwriting is not readable by most people.

I do not volunteer as a scribe because I write too slowly.

Leaning in of rider.

A lot of judges will comment on the rider if they see things that need addressing. Not saying thats what happened here but it definitely happens.

1 Like

I’ve had a chuckle or 2 reading everyone’s attempts to break the Scribe Code (odd handwriting) :grin:
Maybe scribes should be required to know shorthand?
Or PRINT?
I print because my handwriting has devolved so even I can’t read my own notes :smirk:

I once scribed for a judge (Hunter schooling show) with a dry sense of humor he passed on to his remarks.
Try explaining these to a rider:
GAT - Gravitating Army Tank
For a horse whose track wove between fences as he lugged his rider through each line

MST - Melanie Smith Turn (gotta be a certain age to get this one :unamused:)

And when a rider got ahead:
Pommel Extractor to the arena

3 Likes

If the position of the rider interfers with the horse - for example here, going from free walk to medium walk, legs must be on to keep the walk as you gather the reins…

Same.

May I remind all of you of these gems from years past? :rofl:

8 Likes

@CHT --I think you are the winner —based on the verbal comments the judge made at the end of this test --as I recall --legs needing to be addressed --I think your interpretation is correct.

For the past few days since the show, I have let Hugh just hang out in the pasture with his buddy while I contemplate our next move --if any. Of course, HJ would be delighted to just spend the rest of his life in the pasture with his buddy --but maybe I will do some more dressage --on the one hand, it was fun to have a goal --on the other hand --it was A LOT of time [100+ hours on Hugh since April 1] (and $ --but that would have been spent anyway --saddle, clothes, entry fee, blinged out brow band etc) --my main concern is we’d work our tails off and the day of show, he’d come up lame --BUT that is the possibility with any/every horse.

I must remember though, HJ came to me FREE from DD 3-Day jumping program because she could not keep him sound . . .I don’t jump. Still, we have until April to make up our minds --at that point I’d start lessons probably) --meanwhile, I’m resetting my ring to full size (test was held in full size ring) and going to work on my legs. Can’t hurt. Might help.

There were no critical remarks about Hugh --he received “lovely horse, good mover, obedient, submissive,” and that could explain why an old bat with less than 10 dressage lessons rode a 60% on her first test in 30+ years. In his pictures, and on the video, I was disappointed that he didn’t the classic “dressage horse” frame (?) you know, nose closer to chest, neck arched look --asked DD about it since all his videos and photos with her riding show that… She said, “you need to ask him to do that.” Oh, I had no idea. Another facet to work on.

1 Like