Unlimited access >

Need help reading score sheet comments . . .see photo UPDATE #41

After matching the shapes against other words (because I’m obviously insane) Circled is definitely definitely leg/legs depending on the instance
Pretty sure its as follows

Canter circle and canter-trot transition comment “Canter needs energy & leg” So perhaps thinking that more leg than seat needed for the energy?
Free walk comment “Good attempt but legs must be back and on horse”

1 Like

I’ve probably told this story before but: 25 years ago or so, I was scribing for members of the Ground Jury at a CDI-W. For one set of GP rides, I sat with the O judge from Poland. His English was good, but heavily accented. Here I was, poised with my pen, ready to write. Canter to halt entry, he gave the score and his comment was, “Tank oat.” A GP test moves fast, so I didn’t have time to ask for clarification. I wrote “Tank oat.” In ink. And wrote it again for the next four or five movements. The scores weren’t stellar, so I had to wonder what this meant and also why the rider was scoring so low. I took the opportunity to look up at the horse and rider then and saw that the horse’s tongue was out. Tank oat = tongue out. $h*t. So I kept scribing along, writing tongue out thereafter when he mentioned it and when I could went back and crossed out Tank oat and put tongue out. LOL. I’m sure the rider got a laugh out of that. My handwriting isn’t stellar, but it’s legible. I worry about younger riders these days who can’t read cursive.

7 Likes

OMFG that is priceless!!!

:open_mouth: You HUNT!
Or do you & Will hilltop?
That’d be where you’d find me… On a Good Day!
Not calling you out, I cannot imagine riding in a Hunt field, going near Full Tilt Boogie over obstacles that won’t fall down* :dizzy_face:

*My Eventing was never done with Besting the Time in mind :smirk:
And we were out there alone.
If we made it round the course I was happy.

Don’t be disappointed. Your score means you did nothing to interrupt him which is a great starting point. You realise how lucky you are. Most people do not get a school master to teach them.

Just a little word of warning, now that your eyes have been opened a little bit.

To bring HJ’s nose closer to his chest, you do not do this by pulling on the reins. You have to push him from behind into a holding rein, that the inside rein gives, as a reward, and resets to the same place with the reins.

That is why you got the comments to put the leg on. The nose will not come closer to the chest without leg.

You are looking for the face to be vertical to the ground. The muzzle should not be closer to the chest than the poll.

You want the poll to be the highest point of his head. The third vertebrae back should not be higher than the poll.

You want to lengthen the top of his neck from in front of the saddle up to the poll. You don’t want any muscle under the neck.

It will not happen overnight.

I saw a post on Facebook yesterday.

It takes 10 years to learn how to sit on a horse.
It takes another 10 years to learn how to influence a horse.
It takes another 10 years to learn how to meaningful influence a horse.

Oh and the purchase price is always the cheapest part of a horse!

Hugh will teach you are lot, however lessons will be invaluable, even if they are from DD.

2 Likes

@2DogsFarm you are correct. I do hunt and both Will and W jump and CAN hold their own in first flight. However, W is now 25, Will is 16. Considering some arthritic changes in Will s knees, I don’t jump anything I can avoid. On the hunt field, there are times when we must jump and we do. When I said “I don’t jump” I meant that I have no plans to ever jump Hugh…so he is in a good place with me😊

2 Likes

@SuzieQNutter–thank you for such an in-depth reply. I am not sure how much I can improve my dressage riding, but I sure will have fun trying.

Got it.
My “Hugh” < 17’3 WB - was a GP Jumper before I got him at 15yo.
But he’d been misused & lady who gave him to me made me promise to keep him under 4’.
I told her if we ever jumped over 3’ it would be because something exploded behind us :sunglasses:

My TB was in his mid 20s when I moved to my farm. I’d set fences for him around 2’, but he’d clear them at 3’.
His choice :woman_shrugging:
They tell us what they can do.

1 Like

I’m sorry to say that from my experiences with big name show managers/secretaries on the west coast, it would be a huge surprise if they would be: A. interested, and B. take the time to research who was the scribe, and contact them on the rider’s behalf.

2 Likes

I do not VOLUNTEER as a scribe, because I KNOW my handwriting is bad.

But there have been several occasions where I was “voluntold” into scribing (the scheduled scribe had not arrived yet, or had to leave early, or they just couldn’t find anyone else).

I do my best, but the faster I have to write the worse my handwriting gets.

4 Likes

I do not blame the people for having bad handwriting. It does seem like this type of situation (having to write quickly while the judge tells you what to write) would lead to even worse than normal handwriting.

I had not thought of the whole ‘voluntold’ thing. I get it.

maybe someday the sheets will be loaded online and scribes will be able to type in the comments. I know i can type reallly much faster than i can pen the same thing and of course, it will always be legible. Maybe not Intelemphasized textligible, but legible!

2 Likes

E-scribing has been around for years. Not without its quirks though, and methods vary greatly.

5 Likes