Unlimited access >

New, but not really….Hi!

Cabal. Kabal. Ooh, you just gave me an idea! :grin:

5 Likes

I would join your cabal or your kabal! I’ll bring appetizers!

Just letting you know, I am partial to secret handshakes.

6 Likes

See, I had to Google PMSL.

“PMSL is internet textspeak for pissing myself laughing . It is more commonly used among those who speak British English. Related words: LOL. ROTF.”

And I have read a LOT of Brit Lit, so I’m good with lorry for truck, jumper for sweater, biscuit for cookie, flex for electric cord, plimsoll or trainers for sneakers, boot for trunk of car, bonnet for hood of car, et al.

Two countries separated by a common language, for sure!

4 Likes

I’m partial to cheesecake secret or not!

7 Likes

We tend to use bodily functions/parts a lot in conversation, so uncouth….and there’s quite a few different meanings for the words sht & bll*cks :wink:
We’re definitely a LOT swearier for sure!!

3 Likes

Not technically an appetizer, but hey, we’re flexible (and limber) in this cabal!

1 Like

Welcome Hightale! A Canuck here, who for the most part can understand British, being hooked on Coronation Street, Escape to the Country and Grand Designs, not to mention reading a fair number of British authors. My favourite horse related writer was Margaret Cabell Self, specifically the Complete Book of Horses and Ponies growing up, so most Brit horse terms are understood by me.

Hope you enjoy your time here! It can be a lot of fun and very informative.

3 Likes

Yes, this reminds me of Ricky Gervais (LOVE Ricky) and how offended American audiences are with his language, especially the C word!

5 Likes

Thanks so much!
You have good taste, although I haven’t watched Corrie in many years now. Love Grand Designs, one of my favourite shows :grin:

1 Like

It appears there’s a small audience (very, very small, like low single figures…or, er, one ) of American forum readers offended by my language too……oops!
[sarcasm] I’ll have to ponder who that could possibly be, its a mystery for sure! [/sarcasm]

5 Likes

Apparently our work as the Bathrobe Wearing Clan of Chronicle Crones has been successful.

As for the rest of your post: It seems like you’ll fit in just fine. Pull off your boots and stay a while. Cheers! :wine_glass: :wine_glass:

11 Likes

You girls did good!!

I’ve already been mod flagged and edited so I’ve definitely arrived in style :rofl:

11 Likes

For a minute there, I thought “the Hunters are not wearing an article of clothing as they go around the course” meant they rode naked. :astonished:

Took a few more posts before being reminded a jumper is a sweater, and you were referring to that specific article of clothing, and not that they weren’t wearing any articles of clothing at all. It’s been a long week already. :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

You’re very welcome! I resisted Corrie for many years, but finally succumbed when there were nothing but horrible entertainment talk shows on at the same time. Got totally hooked. I have to translate it for my SO, who grew up on the east coast of Canada, and understands Newfie, go figure. I forgot to add I’m a total Time Team addict as well. Who can’t love Sir Tony and Uncle Phil?

1 Like

On one of the (British) podcasts I listen to, one of the hosts said her husband calls then “num-nums” :joy:

4 Likes

:rofl: my, my, who could have done that? :rofl:

7 Likes

Careful - some folks on this forum get offended by alliteration. :upside_down_face:

15 Likes

@eggbutt I know, I mean honestly - who does that??!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

7 Likes

Oh, I was indeed tempted to get all fancy schmancy and use the letter “k” rather than “c” just to be clever but then: sensitivity issues. * sigh *

15 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ah the dry wit of our UK cousins. Truly delightful.

Welcome @Hightale just a gentle reminder that foal/puppy/kitten pics are always welcome if you ever get the urge to share :wink:

7 Likes