Unlimited access >

New family member - meet Wynn Dixie

She looks incredible. You must be so happy with her! And LOL at the puppy class, we just took Shaun at 14 weeks, and the other puppies were charging around like rhinoceri. The instructor looked at us and took us to the equipment so we could play around with the ball pit and tunnel.

2 Likes

We are pleased with her, for sure! I have a feeling she’s going to go through a rebel stage, as she’s quite opinionated. :joy:

1 Like

More Sunday training. Another fella was out there, which was a nice distraction for her. Some good points, and some great opportunities to reinforce the WHOA command. Good girl!

5 Likes

Is she just wearing a long line, long line and e-collar, or something else? Do you think the adult dogs help a lot in training hunting dogs?

She’s wearing a regular collar with a check cord (long line) and a reversible “field trial collar” (wide, high viz, has a stretchy piece in the middle) that I modified to be pink because we already took the other two colors with the other dogs. Our dogs never wear e-collars, it’s not part of our training, ever.

I think in some ways yes, and in other ways no. The other dogs have already taught her to hunt quite far in front which is what we like. They’re also there to help proof and support the whoa command. They also help when we start dummy launcher work. Until she learns more though, the other dogs aren’t out with her on birds yet, just for the obedience runs we do to start with. Right now, a second dog may encourage her to get greedy on a bird because she might think “man, if I don’t get in there, the other dog will get the bird!”

Already she probably doesn’t really need the check cord, except for backing/honoring drills. She holds for the flush, and we are allowing breaking for now to build drive. She just turned 5 months. :slight_smile:

Our backing drills are with a remote controlled backer, because sometimes they struggle to honor a dog they’re too familiar with.

3 Likes

She was again fantastic for training this weekend.

I had plans to do Junior Hunt Tests with her in April, but two separate AKC judges who watched Wynn work suggested I don’t. She’s already too far ahead training wise and having her brace mate steal birds and tag her would not be helpful to her progression. The judges indicate that they’ve flunked more dogs from junior in the last few years than they ever have before - tagging, not holding point for the 3 seconds, males humping their brace mate, and no trainability.

Sucks, I was excited to get her out. But there’s some little fun hunt by another organization that is in May, that I may enter her in.

10 Likes

She’s a gorgeous girl! Love watching dogs do what they were bred to do.

Random question, why don’t you teach a sit and down?

P.

2 Likes

When you’re teaching them to steady on a bird, they can habitually sit when under a little pressure if humans are associated with sitting. Same with the down. We want them to stand tall and proud, even if the “excitement” (pressure) of a bird coming soon is hard to handle.

It can be taught later, but we don’t teach it at all. It’s also why we don’t teach the textbook “heel”. Dog is to stay near us on leash, but not sit when we stop. They stand.

Side note - you can tell a handler has roughed up a dog when the dog sinks as the handler approaches. They will slowly ‘melt’ into the ground, expecting a rough correction or a shock collar hit. Getting low in front when the handler is kicking around in the grass to flush the bird is normal for a dog who isn’t steady to wing (or even some that are, they just are PUMPED for the game), but a dog sinking low on approach is a clear sign they’ve been handled poorly.

I agree.

Susan

2 Likes

Well, Wynn just competed in her first NSTRA trial at 7 months old, and missed an amateur placement by 5 points.

GOOD GIRL, Wynn! This was the first time she ran with another dog. She couldn’t care less.

She found two birds in the first brace, and 3 in the second - braced against Open dogs.

My heart is full. No good pictures - fields are 50 acres each and I’m too much of a distraction to ride with the judge. :rofl: Here she is in the blind while they plant birds.

Maci, our one eyed TPLO Vizsla, took an open third.

12 Likes

Good girl, Wynn!!!

1 Like

Wynn has the standard puppy “obsessed with songbirds” phase going on, and recently discovered water barrels.

8 Likes

Well not a performance update, but

And a couple extras :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Congratulations! Great photos, my favorite is the first. Pretty girls!

1 Like

Congratulations! What a great family photo!

1 Like

OMG! @endlessclimb ! You look absolutely beautiful!!! Hubby is quite handsome too and the dogs are the perfect accoutrements. Congratulations :tada::confetti_ball:

Edited to add that dress!!! WOW :star_struck:

2 Likes

It’s from Amazon, about $100 (which was more than I wanted to spend, but oh well!). I sewed the belt on and removed a bow thingy from the back. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

2 Likes

Girl. That looks like a $3000 dress. Maybe it’s your love and light that give it life. :woman_shrugging:. So happy for you and yours.

2 Likes

Congratulations
wonderful photos of the dogs!

No really you are positively glowing. Congratulations.

Susan

3 Likes

Congratulations! Beautiful photos of a beautiful family!

1 Like