Unlimited access >

New family member - meet Wynn Dixie

We’ve got some adult teeth! She could eat corn on the cob through a picket fence.

4 Likes

Well, just like in horses (or anything), everyone has an opinion. And you can ignore or reject them all day long.

I’ve never, ever heard anyone (educated) say that you will ruin a dog by showing it. That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of, and if said is probably spoken by breeders whose dogs would lose because they are NOT conformationally correct. You know that a Vizsla is a celebrated dual breed, and it’s also one that is very often owner-handled, so I can’t imagine what people you are talking to…but maybe don’t listen to them too much…because they are obviously prejudiced against conformation.

I don’t disagree that BPUP classes are (somewhat) pointless, because they don’t result in any titles, and puppies who win in BPUP may actually grow over/under the breed standard, or have other faults that contradict their BPUP success.

And I will say that in general, conformation isn’t “fun” - in the sense that your dog will be waiting at the door like if you were going hunting. (Some do, I have heard. Mine do not.)

And, you have no plans to breed (at this moment.)

BUT.

What if you had a fabulous, conformationally correct hunting bitch on your hands? After achieving some bad ass titles in NSTRA and HT, and people were begging you to breed…maybe you would be happy to be able to also say “oh yeah, and she’s an AKC CH - a true dual dog.”

Pass a few health clearances and you’re looking at the kind of dog people strive to produce. Maybe you would think that breeding is a great idea.

So…if you think it would be fun to do some BPUP classes…do it. It’s VERY GOOD socialization for your bitch, and both of you might find it fun. And, you might think that conformation isn’t a terrible thing, even if you don’t want to do it “for fun.”

Do you belong to the breed club (locally or nationally)? I know that Vizsla people in generally really value the dual dog. I might make some connections just so you have a more balanced view of the breed/breeders. Not saying that is better…there are stupid people everywhere. But I know a couple Vizsla people - one is an AKC HT judge. They aren’t all against conformation. (ETA actually two of the Vizsla people I know are HT judges - I already send you the link to Andrew’s website. He doesn’t show in conformation himself, but he co-breeds with some conformation folks and they title at both ends. He’s a good guy to ask about whether showing would “ruin” a dog.)

3 Likes

I hear you, I just got left with a bad taste in my mouth for the whole thing. Perhaps when she’s older, and the classes actually “matter”, I’ll venture back in.

There were just too many strikes.

Something I’ve noticed with Vizsla breeders is that they all seem to have a problem with one another, and aren’t scared to vocalize their perceived grievances to anyone with ears. It could be that the local people I was asking for general advice and help are butt-hurt that we chose the breeder we did, traveling out of the area to get the dog we wanted.

It ain’t over till it’s over, but I’m just going to focus on other stuff for now. Contractually we aren’t going to spay her until a year at least, so I’ve got time to decide if I want to attempt something in the summer.

Sorry, missed this - actually, the people that I was speaking to are stronger in conformation than they are field (by a long shot).

I was just shocked that someone would be so pissy towards a beginner. I would have understood if they said “hey you probably won’t be ready for the early January show, but the later in January you could go rock it!” or “if you didn’t know, BPUP classes don’t count towards a championship” or whatever. But it was nearly verbatim “BPUP classes are stupid, and amateur handlers ruin their dogs. You need pro handling.”

This wasn’t just one person who said this - it was several. I don’t know if it’s a collective dislike for the breeder we used or what. All I know is dogs are fun for me, and if conformation is THAT political I think I’ll just stay away.

ETA: I really don’t understand anyone saying that showing would ruin a dog, having not met the dog. Wynn is outrageously bold, outside of maybe not teaching her to stack like a pro would I don’t think anything would impact her drive outside of brutality. Just weird that an assumption was made that the puppy is timid and shy. She’s not, at all, in the slightest. Vizslas as a breed should not be. Bizarre.

1 Like

I would love to know what that really means.

Conformation is literally allowing someone to look at, and briefly touch your dog for a maximum of 2 minutes. The end. There is absolutely nothing more.

The worst outcomes of conformation (other than losing?) – your dog learns to travel in a car, your dog learns to wait patiently in a crate, your dog learns to manage a busy environment with lots of people and other dogs, your dog learns to accept strangers touching it.

I know of an owner who is very nervous in the ring, and it definitely sends that signal to her dogs. And yet, she has dogs who are highly successful in obedience and rally, and just finished her young dog with back to back majors over specials. Is she a great handler? No. Did it really matter? Definitely not. Would she win the breed at Westminster? Maybe no, because lots of great dogs and handlers who will not be nervous.

Who cares?

I don’t even train my dogs for conformation. I don’t care if they move, nor do the judges. Not sure if I linked the video of my puppy’s one and only show so far, showing to David Frei. My puppy didn’t love having his bite shown and kind of flung out his feet. David Frei said “ok I’ll hold your paw buddy” and held his paw while I showed his bite. And we won Winners Dog for 2 points. Was it pro handling? Not really…or yeah, sometimes pros have wiggly puppies too.

Would love to write more but have to work. I’ll come back to this thread - I have a couple of other comments about “the fancy.” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just wanted to comment once more here about “ruining” a dog.

If the people who say this are conformation people, they might be referring to watching people handle their dogs poorly in the ring. It isn’t really ruining the dog, because when they leave the show, they might have the best life. But they might mean that there are some really nice dogs who look bad in the ring because of bad handling.

But…again…who cares? It’s the owner of that dog who gets to decide about handling.

Yes, I have seen some nice dogs lose or have their CH title take a long time because of the handling. It can be frustrating to watch, especially if someone is the breeder, because they obviously want the titles, and they also want the dogs to look good. But it’s not “ruining” the dog.

One of my dog’s offspring is one major away from his CH. He was actually sold as “pet quality” because he wasn’t the most obvious show pick in the litter, but he’s a solid dog capable of achieving the title. His owner has never shown a dog before, and has put all the points on him, but they are struggling for that last major. It would be easier, and faster - to have someone else finish him. But that would take away the achievement for her. If she gets frustrated, there are a lot of good handlers who would finish him (probably for free). But she wants to try for now.

Good for her!

Personally - I will say that if you have a breed that is often owner handled, and you are willing to show it - you should try. It’s so much easier than trying to manage handlers, even if you don’t mind paying for them…it’s a hassle.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Took the girls out training today. They were all lovely. Wynn, despite not having a semblance of self control anywhere else in her life, stands so long on point we had to go in to flush!

11 Likes

She is dialed in!

Susan

2 Likes

I like the picture with the ears in the air. I love pups with floppy ears!

1 Like

Living her best life. Doing what she was bred to do. How cool is that?

3 Likes

She really is a joyous dog. Her recall is outstanding for her age, and we did a little retrieving. She’s the most challenging dog we’ve had in terms of retrieving, but it’s getting better every day.

Here’s some other pics of the day, of the other girls. My poor mutt dog, the only non-Vizsla. I sing to her “one of these things is not like the other…” haha

And Wynn smooshing Zipper once we got home. Zipper is a saint. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

We are registered for “adolescent puppy manners” starting towards the end of January at the local training joint. It runs for 6 weeks.

I am also looking at hunt tests, I honestly think she’s ready for Junior right now (does not give a rats behind about gunfire, let alone a blank pistol) other than I don’t know what she would do with another dog in the field.

We’re going to try and meet up at the grounds with some friends and find out!

Leash manners are still a work in progress. The last “leg” of the walk around the block is the worst because I think I have exceeded her attention span. I might try and shorten the walk a bit because I hate ending on that note.

4 Likes

Also, her adult canines are coming in (along with others surely, I just see the canines breaking through), and she’s enjoying gum-rubs which is super awkward but I get it - that has to feel pretty terrible.

That’s a beautiful dog! I sympathize with the puppy’s teething struggles!

1 Like

First the first time last night Wynn offered retrieves of a toy all on her own without goading. She went for 4 or 5 and then I quit because I want her wanting more, and I wanted to end on a success.

Progress! I’m tickled pink.

7 Likes

Someone had her very first birds shot for her today. She was fan-tas-tic.

11 Likes

We’ve also been going to our weekly “adolescent puppy manners” class, where she is a riot. The instructor spends a lot of time with sit and down with the other dogs, so we spend a lot of time whoaing and practicing our stacking. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

She’s lovely. What beautiful creature.

1 Like

She is intense…in a good way. What a lovely pup.

Susan

2 Likes