Unlimited access >

New family member - meet Wynn Dixie

I think I’m going to take a pass on BPUP. Long story short - I know that every person is different but everyone I’ve spoken to asking for help/advice have been extremely dismissive and unhelpful. Basically insinuating I will ruin the dog by showing her, that I should pay for pro handling (which no doubt she would do better under a pro hand, but that’s not the point - this is just for fun), that BPUP classes are stupid and pointless, etc. etc.

This is all after I explained 1) I have no plans of breeding the dog, 2) I have no plans on showing her conformation after a few BPUP classes, 3) she’s a dog aimed for hunt tests and NSTRA, and 4) this is just something to do in January FOR FUN.

I was pretty excited, but now I have a really bad taste in my mouth for conformation anything. If this is how they welcome beginners, I think I’ll take my money elsewhere. I don’t want to be around people like that - I know if someone is a rank beginner in horses and they’ve got a horse and are looking to have some harmless fun, I want to help them, not imply that they’re ruining the animal.

At any rate, I’ll find something else for us! Maybe agility or flyball!

5 Likes

Try UKC. I showed my gsd and actually earned a Total Dog Award. Everyone, including the judges,were very friendly and helpful. I don’t think pro handlers are even allowed.

1 Like

You are correct, except that pro handlers are allowed to show their OWN dogs in UKC.

1 Like

Well that’s too bad that they were so unwelcoming. But flyball looks like a blast to me and I wish I had a place locally to get involved!

1 Like

What about just taking a puppy obedience class? At that age, it’s just about getting them used to a more public setting with distractions and basic obedience. It does every pup lots of good and can’t do any harm—my neighbors even take their working LGDs to pup classes. And it’s all fun and not doomy gloomy like upper level obedience classes can be (IME). Plus, you’ll need to instill a basic level of obedience with lots of distractions anyway to get into (or not kicked out of) an agility or fly ball class.

I wish I could take puppy and beginner obedience classes all the time…but then I’d need a constant supply of puppies lol

2 Likes

Well, phooey on those snobs. I don’t blame you for looking for other ideas. Check at Petsmart for puppy classes. My mom has gone there with her last two puppies and had good experiences. Like punchy said, just getting her out for “formal” excursions is what it’s about right now.

1 Like

I think the movie Best in Show was a little more truth than parody haha.

I’ll look to see what they have for puppy obedience. We’re a little weird though, our hunting dogs don’t get taught sit, or down. Everything is standing. If they can accept our weirdness then it sounds like fun!

2 Likes

LOL Always worth asking. You can probably explain your “weirdness” and they can work on other things with your dog. I mean, it makes sense for what you do with them.

1 Like

We did Star Puppy with our puppy (the youngster version of Canine Good Citizen). Six classes, lots of individual attention, especially since there was only one other puppy enrolled (and that one didn’t always show). Trainer worked on whatever we wanted/our particular puppy needed, not just on Star Puppy stuff.

There were plenty of available distractions, as class was held at a space that does dog diving, etc. Trainer also brought out other dogs that were in more advanced obedience training, to be around when we were working with our puppy, for both distraction and socialization. Did wish that there were more actual puppies - besides the sometime fellow classmate, there was an adorable terrier puppy being boarded for private training that joined us once.

1 Like

Our local club had drop in conformation classes that were great for socializing puppies to strangers handling and approaching them. 10/10 do recommend if there is something like that available to you. I also had the experience of ukc being friendly to newbies trying bpup and akc not so much.

1 Like

We got a bath (yes, we haha), and now we’re enjoying an electric blanket snuggle.

@strangewings did the conformation instructor dictate your collar? I’m nervous they’re going to tell me Wynn should be in some thin collar because she’s so wild. However, I’d rather take the time to train her not to pull in a wider (1.5") martingale than just slap a chain on her and risk physical damage. Similar to young horses and bitting, I think. Babies go in gentle stuff, even if they’re a bit stupid in them.

5 Likes

Oh dock diving! I bet she would LOVE that!!

Babies should go in plain buckle collars with tons of treats in your pocket to keep her focuses. Go watch a couple puppy classes without your dog to see if you agree with their training principles.

2 Likes

Good idea. I’m a little gunshy, because one of the people who I contacted about BPUP was talking about how they put all their puppies on choke chains right away (which obviously works for them without issue, but I’m not doing it), had nice things to say about the local conformation instructor. Makes me think they follow the same principles?

Fwiw, this isn’t my first puppy. This is just the first puppy nice enough and driven enough, to do something cool with.

The oldest vizsla is bird crazy. She could probably do other things, but she’s 12.

The middle vizsla is great on birds but probably too soft for much else. If there’s birds, she’s on fire, but otherwise is a little quiet and subdued.

My mutt dog and I have done a few shed hunting competitions, where she found the things but nowhere near competitive on time.

Wynn is wild, and bold, and sweet. I think she’s got a ton of potential, and I want to try something new, something not bird related, something where i can learn something new, too!

4 Likes

Keeping it weird tonight.

16 Likes

I don’t remember exactly, though I did a fun show at the club using a normal collar before I found out about the class and the judge there told me to get a show lead. The one I got was like this one. I did some stack and handling training at home (using youtube videos) with a normal collar before switching to the show lead, and did that before trying class. So when we went to class, she already had learned how to focus some on me and my hands. They are all dog fancy people who understand the whole range of puppy limitations wrt attention!

I only did it for a little bit, and this was years ago now. I’m a complete beginner with handling, but the control over the position of the head seems really different with the show lead vs. a regular collar, so I suspect they will encourage using some type of show lead. I never used a choke chain. I do agree with the advice to watch a class, and talk to people and ask questions before trying it.

Stack training reminded me a little of horsemanship classes in 4H, lol!

Love v’s! Do yours all have their own unique vocalizations?

1 Like

The oldest, Lucy, is a barker. She twists her head and pounds a front foot when she does it.

The middle, Maci, has the WEIRDEST growl ever, but is an infrequent barker. When she’s got her favorite toy though… it almost sounds like violent gargling.

Wynn has lots of vocalizations, and LOTS of emotions to share. She can bark in an octave I didn’t think possible.

Zipper, non Vizsla, “oofs”. Quiet, under her breath. I’ve attached it to command “talk shit”. :rofl:

2 Likes

Love her poses! I’d try a wide, soft rope slip lead so you can position it properly but it’s not harsh at all. A flat collar is a lot of pressure on the throat down low. You want something High up behind the ears that won’t slip down. Choke chains are harsh, slide down, and then you’re yanking with harsh on the front of the throat. Prongs are awesome when fitted and used properly, but not for puppy class.

2 Likes

Shameless, just shameless :rofl:

1 Like