New filing on ecourts re MB

I wonder if there were other incidents in the past in other areas where the adult charged has lived. His DOB is 06/06/1965

HAS LIVED IN

Spout Spring, VA
Appomattox, VA
Houston, TX
Lynchburg, VA
Carson, VA

ETA: Also Madison Heights, VA

He has a few charges in Maryland. HSBC renewed its claim on the money he owes them in 2020.

It appears that he’s been released

APPOMATTOX COUNTY J&DR COURT (details)

SubscribeSubscribe

Case #: JA100395-01-00

Defendant: MARTIN, DENNIS LEE

Defendant Information

Address: SPOUT SPRING, VA 24593

Race: WHITE

DOB: 06/06/****

Attorney:

Case/Charge Information

Defendant Status: RELEASED TO PARENT OR RESPONSIBLE ADULT

Filed Date: 03/20/2023

Locality: COMMONWEALTH OF VA

Code Section: 18.2-371

Charge: CONTRIB TO DELIQ OF MINOR

Case Type: CRIMINAL MISDEMEANOR

Class: CLASS 1

Offense Date: 03/13/2023

Arrest Date: 03/18/2023

Hearing Information

Date Time Result Type Courtroom Plea Continuance
06/29/2023 09:30 AM ADJUDICATORY
03/23/2023 09:00 AM CONTINUED APPOINT ATTORNEY OTHER

(March total for MS is now $65)

It’s not hard to figure out the address of where the juvenile shot those horses (and dog?), thanks to wcyb’s photos (credit to Claire Foley of WSET) and google maps.

1 Like

The name he was given is a common one around here and he lived in Maryland in the 80’s, but moved down to Virginia, so most of those cases in MD and VA aren’t his. Based on the ones I know are his, from his birthday, he’s just dumb good ole boy white trash, who is far more of an occasional annoyance than a serious threat.

6 Likes

Oh yeah, he was just a dumbass in his 20’s, but the birthdates still match up for his 1980’s shenanigans. He still may have been bouncing around the area in 2008; but yes, it’s a pretty common name.

Clearly he’s pretty dumb since he was caught driving without a tag.

($70)

3 Likes

Please take it to a different thread. :slightly_smiling_face: This is supposed to be about the MB civil trial.

19 Likes

https://westernhorseman.com/culture/flashbacks/the-horses-of-zorro/
I had such a crush on Zorro.
I do have this photo of Silver in my hallway:

6 Likes

For those interested in discussing the horse killings, I started a new topic.

12 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes

I was thinking about how people didn’t warn MB about Lauren when he took her on, except maybe one person, and he shrugged it off, but I was wondering if barn owners and trainers are starting to be much more careful about who they let in their barns, after what Lauren did to Michael Barisone. Do folks here see any changes (I’m out of the loop, no horse at the moment) in how trainers accept people into their barns and into their programs? Particularly BNTs, I would think, but anyone who wants to try to keep control of their business and program and not let bad actors like Lauren Kanarek through the door? I would think there might be stricter vetting required to get horses into a barn because of this horror of a human being.

7 Likes

I was thinking about this yesterday. I have asked people to leave or not let them in the minute they start any shit around here. My background is different that the average barn owner though, I was trained in handling conflict and managing people in my previous career.
A lot of people in the horse business have no training in managing people or conflict. One bad boarder or worker can wipe out your barn if you don’t handle the situation correctly.

I may start a consulting business specifically for horse people LOL

36 Likes

I think that originally MB and LK (maybe JK, too) had different visions of how this would work.

MB saw LK as more like a paying working student.* Just LK and her two horses (and I guess her dogs). She would live with the working students and stay through the spring/summer in NJ.

LK, on the other hand, saw herself and Rob living on the main floor of the house with MB and MHG and having a much higher “status” not to mention much more attention because after all she was paying, OMG, $5000 a month for board and training!

I can envision LK having JK “work it out” in her favor and the rest is history……

*Paying board and training in lieu of actual barn work over and above the care of her own horses.

18 Likes

If so, that might have accounted for some confusion the first summer in New Jersey in 2018.

But surely not by the second summer in 2019.

7 Likes

I don’t know how many horse people in general are that aware of the exact details.

Even the people who heard about it may not have given it enough attention to realize the extreme craziness of the situation.

I mean, I’m sure there are some people who followed it closely, either because they knew some of those involved, or just out of curiosity.

But no doubt it was barely a blip on the radar for many others. Especially the ones in other disciplines.

Unless you followed the whole thing closely or happened to catch 48 Hours, it would have been easy to miss all the background information that would make anyone nervous about taking on new customers.

4 Likes

But remember that the “…she just needs to leave” began in early April 2019. Not long after they got back from Florida.

This is where JK had a fairly big roll I believe. Who knows how many times she screamed at her father over the phone, like she did about signing a barn release :woman_shrugging:t2::woman_facepalming:t2:!

11 Likes

IM (somewhat limited) E,

Certain barns/trainers who have a vacancy to fill and a cash flow problem don’t do a lot of due diligence if someone can write a check and fill stalls.

However, during my time as a BO/BM, if a prospective boarder showed up with a history of barn hopping, no references and the rest of the story didn’t quite add up, I’d make a few calls and do a little research.

If the prospective boarder showed up, couldn’t afford the board, wanted a working student/barter arrangement and the rest of the story didn’t add up, I wouldn’t bother with the phone calls, I just wouldn’t have stalls available.

NO DRIVERS LICENSE AND HAS TO LIVE ON SITE would have been a huge red flag.

The biggest questions in my mind about this whole situation are, did the relationship start out as fairly functional, and didn’t go crazy until after they came back from FL? If anyone did do some due diligence and talked to other people, where those people afraid to speak candidly? Is that why MB contracted a PI? Did other horsepeople just clam up when asked about their experiences?

20 Likes

MB was fore-warned about Lauren Kanarek, albeit not to the extent or in a manner that it would have benefited him in hindsight, and he wrote her off early on as yet another whiny wannabe Dressage Queen that he could and would keep in line, so long as she was keeping the money coming and wasn’t misbehaving, which she didn’t, until MB and MHG started seeing her - after she moved back to NJ - for what she really was, and not the “hard-working woman of unlimited means, chasing a dream to become an Olympic athelete” that she presented herself to be, when she had deliberately went to FL to train with him, before he took her in as a student.

30 Likes

Was LK forewarned about MB?

2 Likes

Legal Experts, Mr.D had a concern in the last hearing about the judge’s comment about malingering and it giving the public reason to question the integrity of the verdict. Is his concern anyway related to Acquitted Conduct Sentencing and wasn’t that ruled unconstitutional?

It seems to me that the judge’s actions are more punitive and seem to follow the practice of acquitted conduct sentencing but I would like to hear the opinions of the legal experts. TIA!

***edit to add - maybe acs hasnt been ruled on yet but it does seem unconstitutional to me.

9 Likes

What is Aquitted Conduct Sentencing?

1 Like

It sound like it is when a judge sets stiffer sentences because of some perceived lack of remorse or other perceived deficiencies in the defendant.

3 Likes

That is how I understand it too.

1 Like