New filing on ecourts re MB

That’s why acquitted conduct sentencing does not apply in the Barisone case — he wasn’t convicted of a crime and Taylor’s rulings on the Krol hearings is not a sentence handed out to a convicted defendant.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in knowing whether the self professed legal experts think that acquitted conduct sentencing applies in the Barisone case.

2 Likes

It is SGF, not MB, that is pursuing the issue of cyber provocation as part of their defense against LKs suit. SGF does not have a counter suit against LK.

1 Like

He is countersuing LK for her provocations and especially for the secret recording.

He would have been infinitely better off if he had dealt with her behavior that way — in court— instead of shooting her.

I think it’s lame for him to say, now, after having nearly killed her, ‘I’m offended and injured that you recorded me.’

2 Likes

I’d pay money to be a fly on the wall for depositions. The questioning would be interesting as hell I’d bet.

31 Likes

It’s amazing that one is shocked that they are being counter sued. I think had they just went on with life Michael would have also walked away bit here we are.

14 Likes

Hey @anon29046226,

I can’t even begin to try and compile the filings that @ekat has so generously compiled over multiple threads, much less their helpful timelines. Hopefully someone can post you a comprehensive set of links because ekat has done a lot of heavy lifting.

I think if you can find and peruse them, you will find that the substance of Michael Barisone’s arguments in his counterclaim aren’t as described recently by a certain poster. And no, I am not going to donate because I am merely clarifying.

Here are some links in one such post, to start:

14 Likes

Here’s the amended, corrected answer and counterclaims.

MB Correct amend answer 120522.pdf (268.6 KB)

And for reference, here’s LK’s original suit:

LK Civil Suit.pdf (233.1 KB)

And thank you erinmeri. :slight_smile:

(Counterclaim 2 is interesting.)

21 Likes

That is what is baffling about this case. The average person doesn’t expect such extreme behavior out of people and when it does happen it can cause fear for those it is happening to.
I think the damage from cyberbullying gets underestimated sometimes. I was reminded of that while watching CBS tonight and the case of the couple harassed by the ebay execs. It caused people to fear for their lives and I was glad there were legal consequences for those responsible. That case and MB’s case are examples of extreme behavior that most don’t understand.

Just like some of the true crime shows where things escalate and people would have never expected the outcome.

19 Likes

I think it comes down to the fact that there is a small percentage of people who just don’t act anything like what most of us would consider to be normal. Not just a little bit this or that, but way outside the average range.

I don’t know what the number is. Maybe 2%? 5%? I hope it’s not as high as 10%. But they are out there, for sure.

And if you have no experience with that extreme group, you are going to be taken completely off guard and caught flat-footed.

20 Likes

These extreme and hopefully rare cases are other reason why law enforcement should take them seriously when they are reported.

7 Likes

Nope, because they are being helpful by not seeing posts that should remain ignored. No penalty required for simply skipping over gobbledygook without seeing it.

7 Likes

And it makes the thread a much more pleasant read to boot. Highly recommend! :+1:

12 Likes

It certainly grants a little perspective. Before this new showing of restraint, one would think something significant had happened and it was merely hundreds of posts of infighting. I could literally be caught up and go ride a few horses and return to hundreds, if not thousands, of posts. This new world is much more pleasant.

ETA: I bet @Moderator_1 says thanks!

45 Likes

I was just thinking the same thing! Despite a few half-hearted attempts by those desperate for attention, the the thread hasn’t been derailed. It’s easy to follow, concise, on topic, and not endlessly repetitive. This approach could be out to good use in a lot of other threads!

34 Likes

@erinmeri Thanks! I’ve been tracking I think! But I’m probably fuzzy on a lot.

3 Likes

It’s impossible not to be fuzzy about some aspects of this convoluted hot mess…

5 Likes

Gosh, this thread is so refreshing! I never come back to 899 unread comments to find a lot of hidden whatever and endless attempts to correct the whatever (a thankless and unachievable goal). Those of us in different time zones offer a hearty huzzah!

I am not a trial lawyer, so I’ll restate that from the go. I do, however, struggle to understand how Taylor’s personal observations about MB’s appearance and any idea of malingering are not clear evidence of bias. Making such remarks is the exact opposite of how a ‘neutral arbiter’ would/should behave.

I also do not see how Taylor is getting away with the super lame and illogical ‘since [past] mental health info was exposed to the public at trial, MB’s right to privacy on that point has been waived forevermore’.

Krol rules do not say that the hearings should be closed ‘except if, at the relevant trial, personal information was divulged in which case anyone and everyone can come on down’. They say what they say. Closed unless (I think it’s up thread somewhere) acquitted NGRI for murder.

That a judge is (i) pretending he does not understand that limited release of past info at trial does not equal full release of past, current, and future info forever and ever, amen (or he does understand and is dissembling, not sure which is worse), and (ii) blatantly ignoring the plain language as written of the Krol rules, is bananas. I can say that, especially from the outside, this does not paint the US justice system as stable and fair.

This judge seems to be mid-tantrum every time we see him and his snide personal remarks to/about the acquitted and his obvious-on-the-face-of-it disregard for the written Krol rules is disturbing to witness.

59 Likes

I think that text where Jonathan Kanarek is happy that they are making someone homeless by getting them removed from their own property cemented this for me.
It is hard to believe that there are people who think that is OK.

33 Likes

I continue to be baffled why this police department went so extreme in how much they ignored Michael’s complaints and concerns.

20 Likes